cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Updates to item specifics and category structures

We’re rolling out new item specifics in some categories to help listings match what buyers are searching for. We’re also updating a few category structures and item specifics names—all to help customers find your listings on and off eBay. You can read more about that here. Feel free to review and leave any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 4.13.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Question thread: Updates to item specifics and category structures

Similar with comic books.  They require a generic "grade" to open the condition description box.  Then have a separate dropdown with the standardized grading system.  One example of a number.  Ask some sellers instead of some "experts".

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Then  why have some sellers GENUINE Lego minifigure listings been moved to the generic Building Toys Minifigures?  Even though they also have the Brand IS as Lego.

We most likely thought those sellers were not listing genuine Lego figures. We want to make sure we get you an accurate answer though @toomuchstuffagain35. If you don't hear back from us today then we will work with the Community team to get you an answer as soon as possible. 

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

I wonder if eBay's lack of anything to do with Scott is the result of Scott's "get-tough" policies in the last yea-many years over licensing of their catalog numbers?  Perhaps eBay's crack legal-eagles (yes, that's certainly said in jest) got wind of the fact that Scott might require them to actually SPEND MONEY to improve their platform (i.e. to use Scott numbers), and said we'll just build our own - it's got to be as good as Scott's.  Yeah, right.  Just like my complaint about the old car parts in post #10 in this thread.  Do things on the cheap, even if they're not accurate, seems to be eBay's motto.

Message 33 of 47
latest reply

I sell mostly pottery and glass. Those categories were pretty much wiped out.  When the changes were made,  some of my beautiful pieces of glass  were migrated by ebay to "cookware" and glass bowls to "vases" and so on.  This makes no sense to me and I haven't had the energy to change any of them because 1)  there's not an appropriate place to put most of them and 2) they'll probably change again and with the volume of listings I have, I just don't have time for that.  I just rely on my header with the correct key words and hope buyers can find my items that way.  The item specifics are wearing me out - I update them and a week later, they appear again requiring more information.  I understand changes and that they need to be made and I can go along with that, but I'd like to make my changes one time instead of over and over.  As far as the categories, I wish you'd revisit the Pottery & Glass area and what you wiped out.  People that shop this stuff don't necessarily shop by piece type, they shop by maker/pattern - it's all gone.

I'm a pretty positive person and I'm really not trying to be negative here, but honestly, I am really weary of category changes and item specifics changes with no results in sales.  I would like to see an update that shows something that Ebay is doing to drive buyers to the site.  That's what we all need, no matter what you're selling.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

It appears that all the genuine Lego minifigure listings which use variations have been moved to the generic minifigure category. Others have been moved to complete parts & sets.

So the next question is - when will the new Lego minifigure category become available and will it support variations?

If so, will these genuine Lego minifigure listings be moved to that new category by ebay or do the sellers once again have to do the work?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 35 of 47
latest reply

as usual ebay is fixing things that are not broke, all anyone needs is a proper heading , ALL my customers find my parts this way,  this is all about nitch selling and the people in my nitch know what they are looking for. nothing ebay has changed in the last 10 years has been helpful to me, just another layer of time wasting that will have no effect on my business . 

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

This is ebay. They don`t fix what`s broken but instead break what works.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

Then  why have some sellers GENUINE Lego minifigure listings been moved to the generic Building Toys Minifigures?  Even though they also have the Brand IS as Lego.

Hey @toomuchstuffagain35! It sounds like when we combine a category we must choose a destination that suits all inventory. All minifigure listings which have adopted the item specific Brand=LEGO, will be moved to the new LEGO Minifigures category. If not, they will be moved to the generic Building Toys Minifigures category you noted. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

@wheelwarehouse_since1979 wrote:

I sell wheels and tires on eBay Motors. Almost all of the item specifics asked for our currently included in my descriptions and I see they are searchable on eBay. It would take me lots of extra time to manually fill out all the same info into the separate fields.  I feel like the goal of helping buyers is accomplished without all the extra time to manually add them. Will that work for eBay's standards?

Hi @wheelwarehouse_since1979! The team came back with the following statement:

No, when an item specific is required it needs to be specifically added by the seller as an item specific. Including the information in the description is not the same. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 39 of 47
latest reply

It appears that all the genuine Lego minifigure listings which use variations have been moved to the generic minifigure category. Others have been moved to complete parts & sets.

So the next question is - when will the new Lego minifigure category become available and will it support variations?

If so, will these genuine Lego minifigure listings be moved to that new category by ebay or do the sellers once again have to do the work?

Hi again @toomuchstuffagain35. The team has come back to verify that all minifigure listings which have adopted item specific Brand=LEGO will be moved into the new LEGO minifigures category after it's creation on May 17th. It can take a few days for these to process and new categories will support variations where appropriate.

They're curious as to where you're already seeing things moved though, as that shouldn't be happening yet. Will you follow-up with a few item numbers for listings that have been moved already?

Velvet,
eBay
Message 40 of 47
latest reply

Please fix all the collectables categories to include the year made or a date range for all.  For instance Collectable Military items date made and country of origin should include all years and all countries. Including countries that no longer exist.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Thank you for your reply. When can I find out what item specifics will be required?

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

@wheelwarehouse_since1979 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. When can I find out what item specifics will be required?

You're welcome @wheelwarehouse_since1979! You'll see changes to item specifics on May 17th and they'll be tagged as Required Soon, so it should be easy to see what you need to add. They'll then be required in mid-July. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 43 of 47
latest reply

Hopefully the added item specifics are relevant unlike the pointless ones added in jewelry which destroyed sales and caused major headaches. 

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

All they have to do is look  at the Lego minifigures which have been moved into the generic building toys minifigure category. From what I can tell all Lego minifigs in that category are variation listings. The Lego minifigs that were singles have been moved to complete sets and packs.  (that category doesn't support variations).

These were not the categories they were originally listed in so I assume ebay moved them.

My main concern is that the generic minifigure category is to be moved to generic parts & pieces (according to the catgeory change list) which also doesn't support variations.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 45 of 47
latest reply