cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Asked to Put A Trace on Delivered Package

Hi,

I'm a seller  and I shipped an item to a buyer and it was marked as delivered by USPS. The product says it's shipped USPS on the listing, so the buyer knew it would come via USPS. A few days after it was marked delivered on the tracking, the buyer contacted us and asked us to put a trace on it. They said USPS is very bad in their area and almost always misdelivers or never delivers packages. I used eBay's label with the exact address, so it being marked delivered will be enough for eBay. I will certainly place a trace on it if it doesn't interfere with the delivery status. However, I don't want to put that in jeopardy, as I don't know anything about this customer and there was a comment on the customer's profile that made me think twice about this. (In addition, I don't want to set a presidence of not following the delivery status because then every scammer and their mother will be trying to get free stuff. I also do not think it was ethical for them to order it, knowing it had a good chance of not arriving through USPS in their area if that in fact was the case.) Will this interfere with the delivery status and will eBay still side with me ifthey ask for a refund if I put a trace on it just in case?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

eBay already sees it as Delivered to the City and ZIP of the address you received with the payment (I assume), so they're no longer concerned about it and will back you if the buyer files an Item Not Received claim. (Be sure to upload the tracking number to the claim if that happens.) 

I would suggest to the buyer that he take his tracking number in to his post office and ask them to locate the address location where it was scanned as Delivered.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

You can't 'trace' a package that has been delivered. Tell the buyer to contact their local postman and their local post office and ask for the GPS location of where it was delivered. Let the buyer also know that as long as it shows 'delivered' that there is really nothing more you can do as that is a sellers ONLY protection against people 'just saying' "it wasn't delivered". 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I will try to be brief:

A seller's responsibility ends when the tracking status shows "delivered," the seller has no further obligations to the buyer in this regard.

I would not initiate a trace, but it would be a good idea to inform the buyer that the tracking shows delivery and thus they should check with neighbors and family members and perhaps ask at their post office where their package might be.

Should the buyer open an Item Not Received case, you will need to enter the tracking number for that sale into the case itself and then once the case reaches its conclusion ebay will close the case in your favor.
Yes, I am 100% certain on this.

If I were to reply to the buyer, I would probably include a copy-and-paste of the tracking history of their package.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Tell the buyer to check with other household members, neighbors and their mail carrier.  

Ball is in their court now.

Filing a missing mail report is senseless. 

Posting ID
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

I will try to be brief:

A seller's responsibility ends when the tracking status shows "delivered," the seller has no further obligations to the buyer in this regard.

I would not initiate a trace, but that's just me.

While what you post is true it's lousy customer service, spending a few minutes helping a buyer is a good investment.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Personally, I apologize they are having issues, state what the current tracking shows. Recommend that they contact their Local PO since they are the ones who marked it Delivered, and may have more information. And let them know I've opened an investigation. I create a 'help ticket', takes a few minutes, and I put in the comment. 'Customer reported not recieved, can you please check the GPS and send me an email stating that it was delivered successfully'. After 3 days I usually get the email which I forward to them and that pretty much ends it.

To have the attitude that a seller shouldn't do anything simply because it says 'Delivered' in my opinion as @slippinjimmy stated is lousy customer service.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Yes, let me edit that.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Personally, I apologize they are having issues, state what the current tracking shows. Recommend that they contact their Local PO since they are the ones who marked it Delivered, and may have more information. And let them know I've opened an investigation. I create a 'help ticket', takes a few minutes, and I put in the comment. 'Customer reported not recieved, can you please check the GPS and send me an email stating that it was delivered successfully'. After 3 days I usually get the email which I forward to them and that pretty much ends it.

To have the attitude that a seller shouldn't do anything simply because it says 'Delivered' in my opinion as @slippinjimmy stated is lousy customer service.

You are right, I come from a place where I gave the buyer all that assistance and all I got back was more salt from a buyer who didn't want to hear any of it, more than once. 
But you are right, it is our job to be of as much assistance as possible.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

TBH, I think having the statement from the USPS boosts our position to deny them which the INR will ultimately be decided against them.

So it's not just us refusing to aid, but you are showing that you did do something to help them, and unfortunately the USPS not only marked it delivered they have verified the GPS, and also most likely gotten carrier testimony.

It takes burden off the sellers shoulders.

Also, if it's a scammer it shows you are proactive to create investigations, and maybe they should back off.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Also, if it's a scammer it shows you are proactive to create investigations, and maybe they should back off.

Now you've got me thinking back to my hilarious buyer who tried to demand a refund because she claimed she found the box shredded and empty on her porch.  I SHOULD have replied, "Oh my goodness, that is a federal offense.  I immediately called your local police and they are on the way to investigate your box and talk to you, so we can maybe catch the thief and get your purse back." 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Something like...

I sincerely apologize for the distress caused by the reported tampering and theft of your mail. Such occurrences are entirely unacceptable, and I want to assure you that I am taking immediate action on your behalf.

Multiple investigations will be initiated, including inquiries with the USPS Inspector General's office and engagement with local law enforcement. Rest assured, I will provide you with timely updates on the progress of these investigations.

To ensure comprehensive reporting, I will include all your contact information in the reports, allowing for direct communication if further clarification is required.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate incident. Your patience and cooperation are greatly appreciated as we work diligently to resolve this matter.

Best regards,

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

I don't apologize for anything that's not my fault - that feels false.  I*do* empathise with their situation and do what is in my power to help, but there is only so much one can do.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

YES!  
Lol unfortunately I didn't think of any of that at the time.  This crazy (and honestly very STUPID) woman was sending me an absolute flurry of misspelled and curse-word-ridden emails, like as soon as I'd finish reading one, there'd be another in my inbox.  Then (if you didn't already know this story) ... she sent me the photo "evidence" -the shredded box, and the corner of THE purse was visible in the corner of the picture.  I kid you not.  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Sounds about right from what I'd expect. 🙂

Message 15 of 17
latest reply