cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASK ME ABOUT: Product Research (formerly known as Terapeak)

Hello Everyone,

We're thrilled to announce the launch of our brand-new interactive series, which is set to take the place of our former "Monthly Chat with eBay Staff" program. This series is designed to bring you closer to the heart of eBay's operations and provide you with insider insights that can help grow your business.

Our introductory session will focus on the topic of product research. Product research is now available on mobile, and you can find more information here. We're excited to have our dedicated Product Research Team on board to field your questions and share their expertise.

Here's how you can participate:

1. Submit Your Questions by May 9th: You have until Thursday, May 9th, to reply to this post and submit your questions about product research. This is your chance to get personalized advice straight from the source.
  2. Answers Provided Next Week: The Product Research Team will compile their responses and provide comprehensive answers to your queries next week.

To ensure a smooth and informative session for everyone, we kindly ask that you:

• Stay on Topic: Please make sure your questions are related to product research. 
  • Check Existing Questions: Before posting, take a moment to scroll through the questions already submitted to avoid repetition.
  • Be Concise: Aim to keep your message or question clear and limit it to one or two key points. If your post contains multiple questions, please note that they may not all be addressed during the chat. 

We're looking forward to an engaging and productive discussion. Your insights and inquiries are what make our community thrive, and we can't wait to see the valuable conversations that will emerge from this series.

Best regards,

The eBay Community Team

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: ASK ME ABOUT: Product Research (formerly known as Terapeak)

I was definitely wondering the same thing. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to come up with questions if I can't even look at the feature.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@sapphire_studio While certainly not the same as having the feature, the video I mentioned has a short demo at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdR3BuDNGI

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Watching the video above my main question would be, is eBay planning on allowing us to scan a UPC code to search for results?

I know that a lot of comps are not tied to the UPC code. What would be extremely helpful is if scanning of the UPC code simply auto-populated the search bar with text. 

So if I had a beauty product and I scanned the barcode eBay would grab a title formally Associated to that UPC code and put it in the search bar. Then I could delete any text/words that I didn't want in my search. This would save time in not having to type the brand, the name of the item, and terms like "travel" etc.

Also will the ability to scan a trading card be added to product research?

Thanks!

Edit: 

A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

In the Terapeak desktop website,

• Enter, “Lands End Womens Top 2X” in the search bar.
  • Select the women’s tops category.
  • Select “Last Year” time period.
    • The result is, 1,620 listings sold,
    • and 1,276 listings active.

• Now enter, “Lands End Womens Top” in the search bar.
  • Select “Last Year” time period.
  • Click, “More filters”, choose size: “2X”.
    • The result is, 1,389 listings sold,
    • and 21,940 listings active.

In the ebay.com desktop website, for reference,

• Enter, “Lands End Womens Top 2X” in the search bar.
    • The result is, 1,625 listings active.

Another point: Lands End has sizes from XXS-XL in regular, and 0X-5X in plus, and also a range of petite sizes. But in Terapeak’s “More filters”, size filter, you cannot select many of those sizes, even though there are active and sold listings with those sizes. Example, 5X. You cannot select this size filter, it’s not an option to choose, even though they exist on eBay for both sold and active.

Conclusion: Filters are broken in Terapeak. Also, Terapeak and ebay.com results don’t match.

I hope that, in addition to bringing Terapeak to mobile, they will fix the stuff “under the hood” that produces these bugged results I’ve shown in my examples.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

One day?....I wish I only had to work one day a month.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Palmer Candy recalled May 5, 2024.  

https://fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/palmer-candy-company-recalls-white-c...

Listings for these products still appear on eBay.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

I have it in my iOS app, in both my personal selling account and this business account.  If it's not in yours, make sure you're up to date, but they also might be rolling it out slowly.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Will barcode scanning be added to the "Product Research" feature on the mobile app?

Hi @brightlightbookseller the team has responded with the following:

"Yes, we will be adding the ability to use Barcode search and Image search in the future. The timing is still being decided but rest assured we know that this is an important feature."

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Product Research - Product Recall

While investigating a line of merchandise I am considering I discovered a couple of brands had past product safety recalls. Safety recalls can range from minor to life threatening and can create an issue for the buyer and the seller and potentially eBay.

1. Will eBay readily provide product recall information for any product researched using eBay tools via a clickable link within the research results? 

2. In the event of a product recall, does / will eBay notify both the seller and buyer, and who has financial liability for making the buyer whole or for any damages incurred and for how long is that liability in effect? 

Hi @b86fiero the team has responded with the following:

"eBay has a Product safety policy which provides links to resources where you can find out more about the latest product safety recalls. When a listing is removed from the site both the seller and buyer are notified. To find out more about how eBay is complying with various regulations, please see our 2023 Global Transparency Report. The report also links to the Global Recalls Portal. 

At this time when a listing is removed we do not show a link to the Product safety policy as not all items which are removed are for that reason."

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Am I correct?  

Product Research uses the same "search algorithm" that the regular search does.

If I enter Wells Art Glaze into the search, I do not expect to get back items with no matching words or an abbreviation of one of those words.    "well" instead of wells.   And I haven't figured out why I got "care bears tea set 3 piece, tea for one 2003 a little love rainbow NEW!"   (118 items in this search)

I tried a search for wells art glaze china, results were 9, two of whom were not a match.

I need a way to separate vintage fiesta  from post86 and later fiesta.  Using the word vintage fiesta brings up anything with 'fiesta' in it, including items with new in the title.  (26,065 items in this search)

Imagine someone hearing "Vintage Fiesta sells really well" doing this search and getting the results it does.

Can you imagine walking into a car dealership and saying "I want to see a red car" and they show you  a bunch of red cars, a bunch of red trucks and a couple of red bicycles? 

Hi @postcardcountry. The team has provided the following response:

Product Research does not use the exact same algorithm that is used by regular search.  The search method in Product Research is more of an exact match and the inferences of what you might mean are not included.  The reason some items may be returned that do not match are that they are somewhere in the description or item specifics of that particular listing.  

There are a couple of ways you can refine your search to only get a more exact match to what you are looking for.  One is to use the category filter.  And second, if you want only a very specific string of keywords you can put them in parenthesis such as “Wells Art Glaze”.  Then only items with words in that order will show up. 

You can exclude results by adding "AND NOT" or "-" in front of a keyword. For example: "iPhone XS Max 64GB -cover" will exclude listings that have "cover" in the title.

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

Has this feature even rolled out yet?  How are we supposed to know what to ask since we don't see anything?

Hi @fern*wood. The team has provided the following response:

"Yes.  As of May 13th, this is fully rolled out to both iOS and Android users. Please endure that you have the latest version of the eBay app installed on your mobile device.  Then from the Selling tab found at the lower right corner, you will see Product Research right under your Tasks or Drafts and above your Selling Promotions."

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

Watching the video above my main question would be, is eBay planning on allowing us to scan a UPC code to search for results?

I know that a lot of comps are not tied to the UPC code. What would be extremely helpful is if scanning of the UPC code simply auto-populated the search bar with text. 

So if I had a beauty product and I scanned the barcode eBay would grab a title formally Associated to that UPC code and put it in the search bar. Then I could delete any text/words that I didn't want in my search. This would save time in not having to type the brand, the name of the item, and terms like "travel" etc.

Also will the ability to scan a trading card be added to product research?

Thanks!

Hi @sapphire_studio. The team provided the following response:

We will be adding the ability to use Barcode search and Image search in the future. The timing is still being decided but rest assured we know that this is an important feature. 

As for populating the search bar with the formally associated name for the product with that barcode, that is something we can look into for the future. Today when you search by barcode where it's available today, the numeric value is populated in the search box.

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 27 of 27
latest reply