cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What HAS eBay done for sellers lately?

I sit here utterly exhausted, staring at piles and piles of boxes ready to go to the post office in the morning.  But not one is an eBay sale.  Facebook ran a promotion this weekend, free shipping labels for anything over $15 and under 10lbs when purchased through marketplace.  I couldn't list items as fast as they were selling.   And FB is not charging FVF until the end of the year either.  I got 100% of my asking price on EVERY item.

When's the last time eBay done anything close to this?  eBay doesn't put their money where their mouth is when it comes to "helping" sellers or promoting sales.  The reality is that they haven't for a LONG time.  The handwriting is on the wall, I hope everyone is listing on more than just this one failing channel.

Time for me to get some sleep.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay has given you a platform to sell your items.  They have offered you their business model to help facilitate you and your sales.  If you are unhappy with their policies or practices then this is not the place to be.   You would be better served finding somewhere that you can flourish and be a happy as any person in sales can be.  In other words find your place...Nothing is free...Most things that come to us have been through hard work, patience and perseverance.  

My hope for you is that you change your thinking to something that would be more advantages and positive.  It might help you make some important decisions you seem to be on the precipice of.

Only the best to you and yours,

Grandma

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I don't know if you're right or wrong, but if you believe so strongly that ebay's time is limited, you could always put your knowledge to work for you and short the stock. I'm pretty sure it's at or near an all-time high. Perfect shorting opportunity, if things are as dire as you say. Right?

Posting ID
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Go Grandma, you are right on. Everyone has to do what's right for them. Why waste time. Move on.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

There are lots of sellers struggling in collectibles for a variety of reasons, but most likely because people aren't as willing to let their money go right now for collectibles when they need to keep food on the table and the lights on.  So many people are out of work.  Lots of people stuck at home.  There is just so much going on around the US and world that is just not something we are use to dealing with.

That is wonderful news that FB worked so well for you.  FB is not a site like Ebay so their structure and money streams are different.  Your are trying to compare apples and oranges.  So you will always remain frustrated trying to do that.  You can't compare them.  Well at least not now.  But when FB starts charging fees, then you might be able to because along with that will come rules.  Rules you may or may not like.  And when more rules start, more will follow.  It will get complicated too.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Y'all missed the point. 

I PAY for my items to appear on eBay.  Every month, every time an item sells.  So I'm invested in eBay.  eBay chooses not to to invest in me, the seller.  I can offer free shipping, out of my own pocket.  I can "promote" items, out of my own pocket.  Don't get me wrong, I've sold a LOT on eBay, but it declines every year.  Every "seller update" has a negative effect on the seller and sales, every one for the last 3 years.

The site is a dying platform due to mismanagement at every level.  A dysfunctional IT department, repeatedly releasing code that that's not been properly tested, or in many occasions not even finished before it's pushed out.  Ideas and features that are not fully evaluated before being implemented.  A management team that thinks THEY increased sales rate when it was a virus and public policy.  The ongoing hiring of upper management with NO experience in eCommerce.

I'm heavily invested in eBay and will continue to do so.  But I'm also selling on other channels, and they seem to WANT sellers' business instead of handcuffing sellers at every turn.  eBay could run a similar promotion and discount shipping costs to buyers and sellers, some what more complicated, but it could be done. 

Facebook chose to provide free shipping labels for a weekend to the tune of over $1000 for me. THAT's investing in the sellers that sell on their platform, THAT's showing respect and providing support to promote sales.  And promotions like that are why (some) other platforms will flourish while eBay slowly slides into obscurity.

Yes, Ebay provides a platform, but they really don't give much respect, or support for the sellers that pay their bills.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 6
latest reply