cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a maximum of 10000 items in a single API query

Hello All,

The ebay docs say we can get 10,000 items in one call but it doesnt look like that is possible since the limit is 200 at most?

Am I missing something? I dont want to use pagination a bunch of times and exhaust my API calls, maybe the documentation is misleading or does anyone have a single query that indeed returns 10,000 calls for a search term?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How do I get a maximum of 10000 items in a single API query

If you're talking about the Finding API, the limit is something like 100 items max per API response. That times 100 pages/calls totals 10,000 items. You won't get 10,000 items back via a singular API call, at least via Finding or Shopping.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hi @mahmshi-9,

You can use Browse API Search Call to get the maximum 10,000 items with limit and offset parameters. There are pagination controls (limit and offset fields) and sort query parameters that control/sort the data that is returned.

For more details, please refer to the API Documentation here: https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/buy/browse/resources/item_summary/methods/search#uri.limit

Best Regards,
eBay Developer Support

Best Regards,
eBay Developer Support
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@mahmshi-9 SubwayListens wrote:

Hello All,

The ebay docs say we can get 10,000 items in one call but it doesnt look like that is possible since the limit is 200 at most?

Am I missing something? I dont want to use pagination a bunch of times and exhaust my API calls, maybe the documentation is misleading or does anyone have a single query that indeed returns 10,000 calls for a search term?

To retrieve more than 200 items in a single API query, you can use the pagination feature of the eBay API. The maximum number of items that can be returned in a single call is 10,000, but this is subject to certain conditions. You can use the paginationInput field to specify the number of items to return per page and the page number to return. Here’s an example of how to do it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<findItemsAdvancedRequest xmlns="http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/search/v1/services">
  <keywords>search term</keywords>
  <paginationInput>
    <entriesPerPage>100</entriesPerPage>
    <pageNumber>1</pageNumber>
  </paginationInput>
</findItemsAdvancedRequest>

This code will return the first 100 items for the specified search term. You can adjust the entriesPerPage field to specify the number of items to return per page, up to a maximum of 100. You can also adjust the pageNumber field to specify the page number to return. By using this method, you can retrieve up to 10,000 items in a single API query.

I hope this helps!

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@jomagal_0 

The maximum number of items that can be returned in a single call is 10,000, but this is subject to certain conditions...By using this method, you can retrieve up to 10,000 items in a single API query. ← This is NOT what the  documentation says. I suspect that answer was constructed by a chatbot, rather than actually reading or understanding the documentation.

And your example is for the Finding API, which is now deprecated. Each request for 100 items consumes one API call. Therefore, it requires 100 calls to return 10,000 items.

The Browse API can similarly return up to 200 items per call, and therefore requires 50 calls to return 10,000 items.

@mahmshi-9 

The "results set" is merely a pool of the most relevant available items that match the conditions of the call. The pool can change and shift a little as each page is requested, due to items being sold or expiring or being newly listed.

With each call, the "results set" is collected by eBay and the designated page and count is extracted from that set. With the next call, another "results set" is collected for the next page extraction. 

You may notice that on eBay's search pages, the "results set" does not exceed 10,000 items, and as you move through the pages, and then back again, the content may shift a little.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply