cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

German doll ID please

Hello, I was hoping that someone could help me with any information on Hanzel and Gretel dolls that I bought at an estate sale. They come with a letter from a woman gifting them to a friend in 1973. She said in the letter that she bought them in 1930 in either Germany or Austria. The doll bodies are fabric and the face feels hard but it looks like stiches on the side. I wonder what the head is made of? No marks on the dolls, but the box says Kunstlerpuppe, made in Germany. Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: German doll ID please

There are some Doll sites on the Internet that will tell you much about European dolls. If the box says that, it could well be that the dolls go with that box and I would keep the box. Also, I would google that name and see if I could find any dolls that look similar. Here is a site that shows a lot of makers marks. http://dollreference.com/german_antique_doll_makers_marks2.html 

perhaps the box has a logo ? 

Please feel free to post a photo of the dolls if you wish.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I've added some pictures of the German dolls.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Awew, very cute! Thank you for sharing 🙂 we have a lot of German on both sides, Mom and Dad, so it's interesting to me. I wonder if this company is related to Schildkrot somehow. I can't say I know them but perhaps someone who is a German doll expert will notice your posts!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Celluloid was used to make dolls back then and can be flammable so I urge you not to keep them near gas or a fireplace.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

The dolls are beautiful. Not sure of the maker. "Kunstlerpuppe" means "Artist Doll"

Your reference to the face having "stitches on the side" tells me it's likely a celluloid mask...meaning it's not a socket head or shoulder plate.

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 8 of 8
latest reply