cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1962 19” Thumbelina Doll Restoration Question

Hello!  Well, I’ve ended up here after countless hours of searching for an answer; I’m hoping maybe I can find one here :).  I’m in the process of restoring an original Ideal 19” Thumbelina doll for my sister, for complete sentimental reasons and not for any purpose of selling.  My sister plans to let her daughter play with it, supervised, as our mother allowed her to do as a child, and as her mother allowed HER to as a child :). I plan to restuff her so that there is no mystery as to what might be lurking inside the 60 year old stuffing that’s inside of her, which appears to be foam (I recently worked to restore a Patti Playpal that had the exact same kind of stuffing in her head) So, my question is: what is the best kind of stuffing to use for this?  I’ve only come across one answer which was to use cotton stuffing, but no references or specific brands were mentioned.  I understand and accept that by removing her original stuffing I will likely devalue her, but I still want to do this the best way and with the best, most suitable/comparable stuffing for the job <3.  She is a doll that will never be sold and a doll that will be played with (with hopes that if any deterioration in her otherwise great condition is noticed, that she will be sent back to me for repairs, lol). I know this is long winded, but I would really appreciate some help/guidance here. Thank you for you’re time 🙂

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: 1962 19” Thumbelina Doll Restoration Question

I have made 1:4 and 1:6 scale doll bed comforters, pillows and throw pillows with success using foam filled, hypo allergenic stuffing/foam/filling. You just wash the fabric first but filling comes in a huge sack and is ready to go! This can be found nowadays, at Wal-Mart, Joanne’s, or your local, family-owner fabric store. As collectors, we have had 17” PeeWee by Matchbox, 16” Beetlejuice by Kenner, Hasbro Glo-Baby, Mattel Pattaburb and Baby Pattaburb and Arranbee Dream Baby. So we know that soft bodies can be precious and are more healthy clean. Good luck to you! We know what you’re going through!!

Message 2 of 2
latest reply