cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ladies Waltham 1900 Pendant Watch

justforposting_1960
Thrill-Seeker

Hi, my mother-in-law gave me this Waltham Pendant watch that she's had forever. I researched the S/N (18489585) and found: Grade: No. 110; Model: 1900; Estimated Production Year; Run quantity: 3,000; Total Production: 190,000; Size: 0s; Jewels: 7j; Configuration: Openface; Finish Nickel; Setting: Pendant; Plate: 3/4 Split Plate; Hairspring: Breguet; Adjusted: No; Railroad Grade: No; Manufactured: 1912.

The case is marked: Wadsworth Referee; Warranteed 20 years; 2036612, and the pin is marked Simmons.

There is no indication on either the case or the pin as to whether it is gold plate, gold filled and/or what karat.

The watch does not run. The winding knob will turn, but with difficulty. The face is much whiter than shows in the photo. There is a faint crack in the face running from about the 50 second mark on the small dial, above the 8 to the edge of the face below the 9.

The best watch I ever owned was a drugstore Timex, so I know nothing about watches such as this. If it's not too much to ask, I'd like to know if it is worth repairing, and if yes a guestimate of what repair might cost. I'd also like to know what the approximate value of the watch might be.PICT0027 (2).JPGPICT0030 (2).JPGPICT0038 (2).JPG

Lisa (JustForPosting_1960) ~ This is my posting ID
******************************************************************************************
Before you assume, learn the facts. Before you judge, understand why.
Before you hurt someone, feel. Before you speak, think.
--Unknown
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ladies Waltham 1900 Pendant Watch

The information on the inside of the back cover should tell you if it is gold filled or solid gold. If it says anything like " Guaranteed 25 years" or some other number of years it is gold filled. They are saying that it won't wear through the gold to the underlying brass for 25 years. Solid gold will be marked 14K or 18K just a simple declaration of the gold content. Is it worth fixing? For sentimental value, maybe. For economic sense? No. A minimum charge for a simple cleaning and new mainspring, at least $100. Some watch repair people will charge much more. More complicated problems other than a simple cleaning will go much higher.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thank you so much for the information. I guess I'll put the watch up for parts or repair. Too bad though. It's a beautiful watch! I'm wondering, would it make sense to put the pendant pin/fob up for sale separately?

Lisa (JustForPosting_1960) ~ This is my posting ID
******************************************************************************************
Before you assume, learn the facts. Before you judge, understand why.
Before you hurt someone, feel. Before you speak, think.
--Unknown
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

If you ask around at fle markets or antique shops you might find a reasonable repairman but your cost will still be $75-$85 minimum if it needs a main spring. Or if just a cleaning $45/$65 to the trade. Many watchmen have aged and retired, so finding repairmen is harder. In a big city it’s easier. Not cost effective either way for resale.  But for a repairman/dealer it’s perfect, or a new novice to learn cleaning etc on. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply