cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value of an "Artist's Proof" as compared to a numbered print?

Just wondered if anyone might know what the value of an Artist's Proof is compared to a numbered print of the same image. At auction I bought a silkscreen print by James Hagen - it is entitled SHADOWS at centre bottom; is signed by the artist to right bottom and also has an "AP" on the bottom left (all in pencil) which to me means Artist's Proof. I have seen various similar James Hagen prints listed on ebay & the internet at very good prices. I am curious as to whether this print has the same sort of value as those numbered prints??? THANKS for any info.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Value of an "Artist's Proof" as compared to a numbered print?

I'm not an exert by any means but what I was told at the time of purchasing an artist proof (signed and numbered) was, that because the artist proofs are the first ones printed, they are the highest quality prints.  The more prints produced - the less quality in higher numbers.  Hope that helps...and correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I have a signed artist's proof which was given to me by the artist, and he told me it was the one that was not chosen to print. The artist is Hugh Cabot (deceased). Is there even a ball-park figure of value available? I want to give it to a non-profit. Thanks
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Please don't quote Wikipedia - it's information written by layman, companies, amateur writers and those who have a vested interest. Find qualified expert opinions by those with proper credentials and experience.   

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

VERY WELL SAID👍🏼
I’ve been involved with eBay for just a few months now and you’re absolutely right in my opinion. It seems to me that it mostly boils down to what the individual person feels it’s worth to them and not much else
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

Anyone can put something on Wikipedia, whether they are knowledgable or not.  I find many errors in it, as it is written by the general internet public. I would never use it as a footnote to a serious article. 

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

Please stay intouch need your advice on several stuff. Heath
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

Wow your great
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

What you mean
Message 23 of 27
latest reply

What a poorly written body of work. 
As someone who actually handles AP’s and sells them? It has been my experience..... as opposed to someone who only holds a degree as I suspect Sprite does, you can and will sell at a higher price with an AP

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

I am looking at a framed print that says AP XX/L in pencil pn the lower left.  Maybe that means 20 out of 50?? Have no idea how that may affect value?

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

AP is worth more. Just not sure how much more but definitely worth more. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Yes, AP XX/L does mean 20 of 50. Artist prints can be made by the artist, by the master printer who gives them to the artist, and are of more value by their nature as a special limited edition outside the normal edition. On average, artists keep 10% of their edition aside as Artist Prints. Obviously, the smaller number of APs, the more valuable. Can you find the regular edition? If you can find the artist's work in any galleries, that will help you determine value. 

Message 27 of 27
latest reply