cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with 2003 error penny back coming thru front

Hi i'm looking for any and all help on this error penny its from 2003 and the back shows thru the front any info you could give me on this would be most thought full.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Help with 2003 error penny back coming thru front

Post mint defacement.

Someone placed reverse of another penny (Lincoln Memorial) atop the obverse of your penny and provided enough PSI (squeezing or pounding, etc.) to leave a rotated negative imprint on your penny.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

so its a fake ?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Nope......real penny that has been defaced.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yea someone has done some experimenting (for what reason I don't know). I hope it isn't to try to created frauds?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Yea someone has done some experimenting (for what reason I don't know). I hope it isn't to try to created fraud and and claim as an error.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Ok thank you guys i will just put it back into circulation thanks.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hello,

I can not make a positive ID from the photos that you sent. This could be struck with clashed dies. A clashed die is one that has picked up the image from the other die when the two die came togheter without a planchet between them. This causes details from each die to transfer to the other. The next time they strike a planchet you get details from both sides on one side of the coin.

This could have some value. One of the ways to determine this is to see if the writing is backwards or if it reads normal. If it were from a clashed die the writing should appear backwards. If you post some clear shots of the front and back I can give you a specific identification.

Regards,

David McConaghy

New England Coin Exchange

PCGS, NGC, ANA - Certifiied ANA Numismatist

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I can and it is not an error. It was pressed against the reverse of another cent's reverse side to make it look like a die clash. You can clearly see the letters are backwards and indented onto the coin. Here is a little more for you to learn on some error coins. http://www.collectorsunleashed.com/error_coins/

And to be more specific here is what a die clash looks like http://collectorsunleashed.com/error_coins/Die%20Clash.php

Message 9 of 9
latest reply