cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Trains on eBay

After almost 9 years of selling trains on eBay and a ton of transactions there are some things I have learned and I think others can benefit from that. The list below is just a small piece of my acquired knowledge and hopefully is will be useful to someone looking to start selling. While my experience has been almost all model trains, Some of this information is useful for any category.

1. Pictures are everything! Not just the piece in the box but out of the box. A good picture of both sides, both ends, the top and of course the bottom. On operating pieces make sure you get pictures of the wheels and or pick ups which will show the amount of wear and usage. Finally, some collectors are particular about the condition of the box. If there are flaws in the box be sure and get pictures of that as well.

2. Be honest about operational status. After thousands of transactions I have realized that the value received on an item is nominal when properly described. The response from the buyer however is night and day if they receive something doesn't operate as expecetd. You are better off under grading your item and having happy customers than you are over grading items and having frustrated ones.

3. Make operational claims only if you understand what proper operation is. Stating things like "Runs like New" or "Operates perfectly" can be very misleading if you are unsure. Keeping it simple like "runs in both directions" , "Lights operate", Whistles loud" or "Smokes well" paint a picture just fine. Most importantly, if you don't know be honest about it and if you are unable to test it be sure and make that clear in your listing.

4. If you are selling trains and do it for any period of time you will quickly learn the difference between era's of all scales and manufactures. To say that there are big differences in this area is an understatement. It takes time to understand the difference between scale and gauge. It also takes time to understand that every one of the manufactures has evolved and improved over time (for the most part) but that there are periods of time for all of them where their products were not the greatest. I personally will not list any item as "new in box" unless I actually purchase that item directly from the manufacture. Why? Simple really, a new item assumes that there is a manufactures warranty and that replacement parts are readily available. A piece that was new in 1995 fits none of those qualities. Used terms like " Never Ran" or "Displayed Only" are far better choices. In the description use phrases like "shows no wear" or "appears to never have been used". These subtleties matter!

5. Finally, DO NOT SKIMP ON SHIPPING MATERIALS! This part of your eBay selling experience is 100% on you! It is well know that every carrier is hard on your packages. They get bounced around, dropped and (weather intentionally or not) abused. If you would not feel comfortable dropping your packaged item then repack it! On higher value items I will commonly use what I call "Over packing". When this is necessary I will package the item in a standard shipping box and then wrap that box in bubble wrap and pack it inside of a larger box with addition packing and protection. There are also times when I will reinforce a box using other old boxes to make the box double or triple walled for added protection. If you recycle boxes, which everybody should, be sure that you are only using the best and most sturdy boxes you have. Look for boxes with a minimum corner crush rating of 24# and think of 32# or 36# for your loose items that do not have original manufactures packaging.

I hope this helps someone. E.joy your selling experience.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Selling Trains on eBay

Don't sell trains but sure people who do will appreciate these shared learnings. Nice to see people share best practices!

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

@tashus_fivavnea,

Your suggestions apply to most categories of items not just trains, but especially vintage and pre-owned items. It could also be summed up by the Unwritten Golden Rule for sellers:

Describe all items like there are no photos and photograph them as if there is no description.

Unfortunately, one thing ebay has done with its new search in the Model RRs & Trains category is to lump gauge and scale together. That's what happens when people who know nothing about certain categories are allowed to make changes to searches.   Also, eBay's oversimplified Selling is easy, information, which if one starts looking at all of the links needed to get started is not only time consuming but confusing.  A lot of the newer sellers list things they have no clue about how they work or what parts accessories should be with them. While they may do all sorts of searching on line for various things, for some reason the thought of  doing some research about items they want to sell escapes them.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

How do we get scale and gauge back into the search filter?

That is likely THE most important filter.  The platform is nearly useless without it.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

@jeffs_custom_models,

The Brain Trust at ebay didn't realize that Gauge was as important as Scale in model railroads, and that there is a difference, so now every thing is scale.  I use searches such as "Steam Locomotive N and ebay autofills "scale" and model and railroad & trains for the category.  I've adjusted my searches to be a bit more specific Ex: Boxcar, Caboose, Tank, Flat car etc., with HO - N - O.  Doing that works pretty well except for "O gauge". However, about 80% of the listings are for Lionel and other O gauge Mfrs., so its not hard to find them as opposed to scale models.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

Thanks a lot on sharing your valuable experience with us . 😘

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@tashus_fivavnea,

Your suggestions apply to most categories of items not just trains, but especially vintage and pre-owned items. It could also be summed up by the Unwritten Golden Rule for sellers:

Describe all items like there are no photos and photograph them as if there is no description.

Unfortunately, one thing ebay has done with its new search in the Model RRs & Trains category is to lump gauge and scale together. That's what happens when people who know nothing about certain categories are allowed to make changes to searches.   Also, eBay's oversimplified Selling is easy, information, which if one starts looking at all of the links needed to get started is not only time consuming but confusing.  A lot of the newer sellers list things they have no clue about how they work or what parts accessories should be with them. While they may do all sorts of searching on line for various things, for some reason the thought of  doing some research about items they want to sell escapes them.

They basically lumped EVERYTHING together, making browsing that category totally useless anymore(at least for me). I haven't even looked on here for any antique trains since they did this(1930 and before, but mainly late 1800's early 1900s for the good early live steam or electric ones in standard of O gauge). Ones like Voltamp, Elektoy, Weeden, Beggs, and many others that are mostly not marked.

Such a shame. And the selections for item specifics that they want you to check off, well, the sellers I get the best deals from are the ones who don't know what they have - ones found in great-great-grandads attic and they just tossed it up for sale.

Selling Trains on eBay

I am greatly desiring to sell many brand new DCC HO diesel and steam locomotives and cars but I’m concerned about the possibility of someone claiming that it’s broken or missing and demanding their money back even though I’d send it packaged as you recommend.  Is this a legitimate possibility that people could make false claims?  Please give me advice because I want to go ahead with listing them because I no longer have the space for them after moving.  Please give advice.  Thank you,

Chris A.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

@chrand.dxbtsghnp,

You have replied to an old topic, which will soon be locked to replies.  What you need to do is start your own topic by going back to the Toys & Hobbies board main page, in the Blue box click on Start a conversation button.  Create a title such as "I want to start selling my HO model trains on ebay".  You can copy and paste your above question to the body of the message.

One thing you can do that will answer your question is to read the terms and time frames for eBay's Money Back Guarantee (MBG)  in the link below. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

To avoid claims of an item not being as described, follow the unwritten golden rule for ebay sellers which I posted below and will repeat here.

Do not skimp on photos and make sure to use clear ones taken from all angles.  If there are any defects on your items at all, make sure to describe them.

Since you will just be starting to sell you need to know that ebay will impose a 21 day hold on your first few payments. On your account the payment status will be marked as Pending, the funds are there and can be used to ship the item, which if you buy your postage through ebay will automatically upload a tracking number to the listing.  Once tracking shows a Delivered scan your funds will be released and processed to your receiving account within 3-5 working days.  The link below explains the Hold.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816

When you go to create your first listing you will be asked if you want to use the Quick listing form, or the Advanced one. They will try to dissuade you from using advanced, but use it anyway.  Otherwise, you will have Best Offer posted on all of your listings which can be a pain, especially if you do not want to accept them.  You also do not want to list item for sale outside of the U.S. until you have more experience. 

Before listing your first items to get an idea of the trending prices for them use the Advanced button to the right of the main search button on an ebay page.  On the page that opens type in a search such as\ " HO scale GP-7 w/ DCC". 

Or for a more specific search of your specific item "Bachman HO scale PRR EMD GP7 Diesel Locomotive DCC #8805"

Once you decide on a general or specific search select Toys & Hobbies from the category drop down list. Then check the Sold listings box and click on the search button.

On the results page, you can select to see only Auctioned items or Buy It Now ones. 

If you decide to auction an item DO NOT take ebay's advice to start auctions at a low price; To encourage bidding. Start the bidding at the lowest price you would be willing to accept if you only get one bid.  Do not offer free shipping, use ebay's shipping calculator to select shipping services and then prepack but do not seal, measure and weigh the item you will list.  That way buyers will know what the shipping cost to their location will be.

Since you will be selling electronically operated items, it would be best to set up a test track  a small circle or oval to make sure the DCC controls are working. Engines that have been stored for awhile may have some issues. You can upload videos of the engine to listings showing that it works.

I would suggest that you start out by selling rolling stock at first, then once the hold is lifted, start selling the engines. 

There is a lot more you need to know about starting to sell on ebay, and if you have further questions about listing model train items cone back here and post them.

FYI. Before listing your first item Go to your buyer management or search online for setting Buyer Requirements on ebay. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

When you get to the page in the screen shot below, using the up or down arrows set your requirements to the settings most of us use.  I very strongly suggest unchecking the pre-checked Buyer payment requirements.  They tend to cause buyers not to want to bid on or buy items that are enrolled into Auto Pay.

mudshark61369_0-1705421202873.png

GOOD LUCK

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Selling Trains on eBay

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply