cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with shipping Ho Train

Hello, 

I have a new HO train up for sale on auction.  I have already sold one of these.  When I went to prepare the label there was a warning regarding shipping hazardous materials. Unfortunately I printed the label before reading the warning.

I have been trying to find information about what could be hazardous in the train?  Asked USPS and they need to know exactly what the material is, so they say. 

The only thing I can come up with is the power pack and I have no idea what is in that.

Do you have this issue when you ship trains? If so what do you label the package with. Thank you.

Screenshot_20240118-114808.png

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@catjewels9876,

There is nothing in an electric locomotive like that one, that has any hazardous materials in it. You may have gotten the warning because of the word "train" in your item title. You do not need to include that word since model railroaders know what they are.  Ignore the "warning" and ship the model.

The only model trains that may have a restricted item in them are the larger scale Engines with Digital Command Control (DCC) modules, some of which have rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries in them.  Your engine is made of plastic some and has a DC powered electric motor that receives its power through the track. It does not have mercury switches in it.

Read the info in the link below.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@catjewels9876,

There is nothing in an electric locomotive like that one, that has any hazardous materials in it. You may have gotten the warning because of the word "train" in your item title. You do not need to include that word since model railroaders know what they are.  Ignore the "warning" and ship the model.

The only model trains that may have a restricted item in them are the larger scale Engines with Digital Command Control (DCC) modules, some of which have rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries in them.  Your engine is made of plastic some and has a DC powered electric motor that receives its power through the track. It does not have mercury switches in it.

Read the info in the link below.

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Hello mudshark61369,

Oh thank you so much for the information! You have been so helpful time and again! I appreciate your help and knowledge. Have a great day 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I've noticed a new section on the label page that asks if you are shipping anything hazardous.   Here's a screen shot and a link to the View List page.  Hazmat Classifications | eBay.com

Screenshot 2024-01-19 184024.png

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your reply and information. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply