cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schuco Monkey?

Hello, 

can you please tell me more about this monkey? Any information will be greatly appreciated! Thank you! E7C51DD6-A8F7-4507-862E-7C6B6D63ABC8.jpegCFF9166A-4200-425F-99AD-E8C6D5149D55.jpegF5B88179-9CD8-4A16-BF7A-38F852530100.jpeg1738D823-2E48-4F44-A016-A7A04BAEF5E6.jpeg4B495B61-7AE2-49D7-9E25-453E803551BA.jpegB5CC8FA7-DDEA-4F90-A7D3-01CB6550B582.jpeg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Schuco Monkey?

@antiquesandartstore,

That is not a Schuco product. They never made any "doll" type items, all of their products were wind up vehicle toys made of tin and later die cast metal. I believe the only "monkey" related items they made were a wind up Monkey juggler, and the Monkey Car both made prior to WWII. 

You may be able to find that Stuffed animal on the site link below

https://plushmemories.com/

You can also try doing a Google reverse image search using your first photo. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Could be Schuco or Steiff. 

Both German Companies made quality plush of similar style to yours.  They were so successful smaller lesser-known businesses made copies that were also of high quality.  Have you undressed the monkey?  Schuco tags are frequently sewn into the arm or leg.  Steiff buttons are in the ear but when missing an obvious slit where they existed is present.  Possibly the extra clothing was homemade by a loving grandma to accompany the monkey with the storyline and case added for fun.  (worthwhile to turn all the clothing inside out to check for tags)  

vintage schuco plush - Google Search

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@antiquesandartstore,

I was wrong with my answer the other day mostly because I was searching for Dolls not stuffed animals. It appears you item was an 11" monkey made in the 60s - 70s by Schuco that was named Hegi.  I didn't find anything in my searches that indicated it came with clothing,  or with a hinged case. So the uniform and other clothing may have been hand made.  The name "Muggins" to me seems like an British one. So I wonder if it was given the name by an original owner.

Schuco did make a "Yes/No Bellhop monkey in the `20-"30s and may have brought it back out in the post war years,  but it looks nothing like the one you have. It was a 9" tall figure and the uniform is sewn on as a part of it. Moving its tail gave the head a nodding "Yes" or shaking "NO" motion.  The link below has some examples of both stuffed Monkey toys.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Did+Schuco+even+make+stuffed+animal+Monkey+toys%2C&client=firefox-b-...

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, IMG_6627.jpegIMG_6631.jpegthere are traces of the tag on the side, but someone cut it out 😞

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I've sold vintage plush without tags or IDs.  It's still a nice monkey.   Here's what a Schuco tag would resemble.

H4367-L222509339_original.jpg

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@toysaver,

It looks like I replied to a post from the OP that is either above/below depending on you settings.  When I searched the other day to post my first reply,  I did so using "Dolls" in the terms, instead of Stuffed Animals or Plush... I'm not a doll - plushie collector, and did forget that the two search terms are not for the most part interchangeable. 

I did find the OP's Monkey using the search link I posted, but couldn't find any mention of it coming with clothing.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply