cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help identify these 1960s 1970s vintage Barbie type clothes-this is another batch.Thank You!

Please help identify these 1960s 1970s vintage Barbie type clothes-this is another batch.Thank You!

I've searched online with no luck, no Barbie Tags. Thanks for your time looking and any info you can provide. Here's some info:

1. Top left, 2 piece light denim with red thread trim, vest & shorts, possibly Barbie little sister outfit?

2. Bottom left, thick blue knit skirt, looks like Barbie.

3. Top, sheer orange lingerie pj top with lace trim & tiny pearl button on back.

4. Middle, ribbed red sweater, looks like Barbie.

5. Middle, navy blue cotton skirt, too small for Barbie, smaller doll, it does have a torn reminant of a tag that apparently said Made In ??, so it's not handmade.

6. Top middle, bright pink vest with 4 tiny gold pearl buttons.

7. Middle, blue dress with white lace trimmed collar with black bow, looks like Barbie but the buttons seem unusual for Barbie, could be handmade but I think it's manufactured, probably Barbie clone.

8. Bottom, Red/Orange & Navy scarf, no idea.

9. Top right, pink dress, pink white green orange collar, tiny gold buttons, snaps, not handmade, white tag with red square & red letters Made In Hong Kong, apparently a Barbie Clone.

10. Right middle, pink lace trimmed pj bottoms looks very much like 1969 Talking PJ's bottoms that went with her dress, but slightly different.

11.  Right bottom,  too small for Barbie,  pink sheer white lace, tagged Made In Hong Kong.

Please let me know even if you just recognize One item. Thanks a bunch! 

PS I've done the Google Search with pictures but they are often mis-recognized as adult clothing.FFIMG-6846.jpgIMG-6847.jpgIMG-6848.jpg

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Please help identify these 1960s 1970s vintage Barbie type clothes-this is another batch.Thank Y

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Please help identify these 1960s 1970s vintage Barbie type clothes-this is another batch.Thank Y

Shortly after Barbie caught on there were dozens of companies making Barbie knock-off dolls and clothes. Most of them were of far lesser quality than Mattel items, but they had the advantage of being less expensive. In the Barbie collecting world these are called clones. Before I got my first real Barbie in 1961 I had a Barbie clone doll.

What you have is a collection of clone outfit pieces in good to fair condition. Someone may come along and be able to ID a few of them. But because of the number of clone manufacturers and the fact that they produced so many items you're probably never going to be able to ID them all. But in the end it really doesn't matter. With a few notable exceptions, clone outfits have little value, particularly in the condition of these pieces. If you're looking to sell these do it in a lot, start it low and hope it sells.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Thank you very much "kathiec", I appreciate you taking the time to reply and give me that information. I totally understand what you're saying and I pretty much agree, except that I'm still really hoping to identify at least a few of them, hoping somone will recall having that particular dress, or seeing it somewhere, but I also don't want to waste anyone's time. I find it very interesting, and I love learning about the different items and it really helps me learn how to identify them better for  myself next time. Thanks a bunch!

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

9 is part of a Shillman outfit. Scroll down about a quarter of the way:

https://thebolddoll.com/vintage/clones/

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Excellent detective work, @orphie1402 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

p.s. love the Bold Doll website...saving it and got lost in it for quite some time.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Thank you! You never cease to amaze me. I've spent hours online searching with no luck. I don't usually use the Worthpoint site but apparently I need to start. However, I think it has more to do with your prior knowledge which allows you to more affectively search and come up with the answers. Much appreciated as always!

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

How in the world did you find those? I'm in a completely different collecting field, but even so, your identifying those items is impressive. How? Image search?

Super kudos.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

10 are Talking PJ's knickers, from when production switched from Mexico to Hong Kong in 1971.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-mod-1971-talking-pj-barbie-1978803720

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Very impressive! Back when my great granddaughters were into Barbie, there were a lot of stores like the current Dollar Tree that had lots of clothing that fitted the Barbie-sized dolls and were kind of generic.  I would have thought some of those fell into that category, but, obviously, I would have been really wrong.  Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge.  

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

How exciting, I have the pants that go with it, had no idea they went together, they looked homemade and the pinks no longer match. Thanks!

Message 15 of 20
latest reply