cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New seller question - Buyer wants a refund on a new sealed puzzle claiming it has a missing piece

Hi,  I'm a new seller, so far sold over 50 brand new sealed puzzles and this is the first time I received a refund request from a buyer who after 28 days of receiving the item claimed that there is a missing piece.  

I have 'seller does not accept returns' in all my listings but read that it is really useless, true?

My question is how to handle it, if it is really true it is a manufacturer defect and what can i do about it as a seller. 

Do I just absorb the loss and move on , what if it happens frequently, i am not making much profit on each puzzle as is.  The buyer already given a positive feedback, can I deny the return stating seller does not accept return or is it fair to offer 50% refund?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: New seller question - Buyer wants a refund on a new sealed puzzle claiming it has a missing piec

Yes... No Returns and no refunds are two different things entirely.

Yours is one of those scenarios where I may just offer a partial refund without paying to have it returned for a full refund... and I reserve those for emergencies and 'no-brainers'.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: New seller question - Buyer wants a refund on a new sealed puzzle claiming it has a missing piec

Yes... No Returns and no refunds are two different things entirely.

Yours is one of those scenarios where I may just offer a partial refund without paying to have it returned for a full refund... and I reserve those for emergencies and 'no-brainers'.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for the advice.  How much of a partial refund you think I should offer?  I am thinking 25%? I barely made anything on this transaction, it was my 2nd or 3rd sale,  was still trying to learn pricing items.   Buyer had it for a month almost.

And what if the buyer refuse and wants a higher or full refund, what should be done next?  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You have to do a 100% refund and move on.   It probably won't happen again, most people on eBay and in the world are honest and want to do the right thing.  I recommend giving positive feedback -  Sorry, new sealed puzzle was missing a piece!  Other puzzle sellers will block them if given a chance.

I'm pretty sure their cat knows where the piece is.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hello. I have actually bought two puzzles recently from the store, and they had missing pieces. Cardinal puzzles just aren't what they used to be. Depending on the company who made the puzzle, they will likely send you a replacement puzzle if you go to the website and place a complaint about the puzzle, provided you have proof of purchase. Unfortunately, they don't send the exact puzzle. We had a bird and a fish puzzle, both missing parts, and it's beyond frustrating. Needless to say, the quality of some brands has really gone downhill. I would suggest asking the buyer to contact the manufacturer of the puzzle first. They sometimes compensate individuals who received puzzles as gifts with replacement merchandise if a puzzle is found to be defective. Please, please have compassion for your buyer. You don't know how frustrating it is to get down to the final piece of a puzzle and discover that it's not ever going to be finishable.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the response.  I guess having to deal with this scenario for the first time is difficult.  I just didn't think it's fair for the seller.  It's a total loss for me, I earned at most $5 on this and have to refund selfish buyer $40 (shipping included)!  And the buyer is a seller as well, so she should have known how it is and that's a shame.  Asking for a partial refund would have been fair. And who knows what really the truth is, she got it new and sealed definitely this kind of policy is subject for buyer abuse. Thanks again.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thank you. Yes, it happened to me as well on a ravensburger puzzle.  But unfortunately, they said if they are out of stock of the item, nothing can be done, and that is the case often. They produce a batch or two and that's it.  And the buyer's reasoning for a full refund after having it for a month  is that if she bought it in the store, she can return anytime no questions asked.  And I'm like, it's two different things, a big store versus a small time individual seller, can't compare the two.  She should just buy in the store then. Oh and trust me, I had compassion as it happened to me as well with missing a piece (don't even know for sure if buyer is telling the truth).  But should not all be blamed to the poor seller.  Different story if it was sold opened/used.  But thank you for the response.  

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

short answer-

Refund the buyer now - no questions asked.

now put their user ID on your blocked buyer list-

(page botom- Site Map- SELL- Blocked Buyer list)

Loose Cannon
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

thank you, will do!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

"I guess having to deal with this scenario for the first time is difficult."

@puzzles-etc 

^^^ You said it. ^^^

I know you wrestled with this one... no seller could've avoided the inevitable here. Way to sleep on it!

I sincerely hope for you that the first is also the last. Hang in there!

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

As a EBAY Seller MY Self smokejoe13 on ebay  

you can't always win more time spent on a Negative Trade is time Lost on the next Transaction give 30% refund after emailing them and them agreeing it sounds good Tell them a lot of time has past and you feel for this Problem 30% is fair if They agree proceed  say it in a nice way 

once they agree to it hang on to email your the seller sucky as it is you have to work with the buyer and some times doing what is right comes easy if you put your self in the Buyers shoes what would you feel is fair to be done if you was the buyer Long as a buyer feels they are treated fair they may just come back next time down the road for a even bigger transaction and even if They Don't  you done whats right keep doing whats right and trades well go a long smooth

i hope this was of Help 😎

Best Regards

Good old smokejoe13

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thank you! Very much appreciated!

Hopefully, one day eBay will improve their policy.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thank you!  Added her user id on my blocked buyer list!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply