cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need confirmation that this is or not a LENCI doll, has COA but still not sure! Thank you

1-IDENTIFY Lenci Doll 3467x3292.JPG2-IDENTIFY Lenci Doll 4608x3456.JPG3-IDENTIFY Lenci Doll 4608x3456-001.JPG4-IDENTIFY Lenci Doll 3984x3160.JPG5-IDENTIFY Lenci Doll 3637x3280.JPGJust obtained loads of dolls, mostly antiques, This Lenci came with a COA, but still not sure if it's an original. Can anyone help??? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need confirmation that this is or not a LENCI doll, has COA but still not sure! Thank you

The COA tells you that it goes with a doll named "Mario," reproduced by Lenci in 1981, of a doll originally created by Lenci  in 1924. The COA dosn't go with the doll pictured. Did you get another Lenci doll in the group you purchased? The doll pictured needs a little more scrutiny (for me, at least) to see if it is a Lenci. It sure looks like one. It is wearing a skirt, which means it is probably a girl.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Need confirmation that this is or not a LENCI doll, has COA but still not sure! Thank you

The COA tells you that it goes with a doll named "Mario," reproduced by Lenci in 1981, of a doll originally created by Lenci  in 1924. The COA dosn't go with the doll pictured. Did you get another Lenci doll in the group you purchased? The doll pictured needs a little more scrutiny (for me, at least) to see if it is a Lenci. It sure looks like one. It is wearing a skirt, which means it is probably a girl.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you daintydorothydoll, for your input. We have several boxes so I'll hold on to the cert in case Mario shows up. What puzzles me is the 2 small red dots near the eyes and the closed fingers. Is that a sign of fake???
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I've been doing further research on that doll. I just can't say I am certain it is a Lenci, but I am no expert on them. It is definitely an older doll (like '30s or earlier). The company used color freely on the dolls, so any "blushing" you see on the hand/fingers is okay for a Lenci (not sure about the red color used around the eyes). The thing that is throwing me off is the shape of the mouth--more of a Cupid's bow and I'm not seeing pictures of Lenci dolls with that mouth shape. The foot appears to have a stamp of some sort which is correct for a Lenci. The way the fingers are stitched is correct for a Lenci. Apparently, there were many copycat dolls made so there are "Lenci-types" but not made by Lenci. I hope someone who knows more about these dolls will come along.   

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

All I can say is "wow". Nevertheless, great info. I'll continue my search, it's just sooo darn hard. I don't want to list something that's not what it appears to be. You have been most helpful thank you for sharing your knowledge!!!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I can confirm that that doll pictured isn't Mario, as I have one. The doll pictured I think is a Lenci look a like or type. The mouth is too small and not two-toned.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply