cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to buy stuff from China. Many people have sent posts like this and im just curious what e

To anyone who reads this please help me out here because I just don’t know if it’s safe or not to buy stuff from China on ebay.

also can you answer ebay.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is it safe to buy stuff from China. Many people have sent posts like this and im just curious what e

I won't buy anything from China. They tend to send cheap stuff, send to wrong addresses and string you along with lies and promises of resending or replacing items to get you past return or filing deadlines., etc..

That is just my personal opinion.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I buy from China nearly every day, depends on what you are buying. There are very nice items (most of the things for sale in the USA are currently made in China).

I have bought hundreds of items here from Chinese vendors. Very few problems and if items arrive broken, not as described, wrong, never show up, you are covered by eBay money back guarantee. I've never had a problem, the few things that were wrong the seller refunded.

What did you want to buy? Some categories are fine, others are full of counterfeits, knock offs, fakes, poorly working, etc.,
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Dont buy electronics, jewelry, or clothing from China.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I won't buy from China because many of the items are counterfeit or poorly made. Clothing tends to be undersized, inferior materials, the colors will run. I bought an ipod charger once and when I tried to unplug it from the car, the wire broke. I used it once. I should be greatful that it did not fry my ipod. Don't buy name brand toys like Lego or My Little Pony. ALL of those are counterfeit and Ebay allows these sellers to continue to rip off buyers and the companies that have the rights to these toys.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

1. The Chinese items that are cheaply shipped here via eBay are due to eBay misusing a 1969 amendment to the UPU. This was intended to help poor countries to export goods by having more developed countries give them discounted postal rates. China was not a developing country in 2010 when eBay signed an agreement between itself, USPS & China Post to allow for Chinese vendors on eBay to cheaply send their items to the U.S.

The public was told USPS would make money off these Chinese packages. THAT WAS A LIE! USPS lost money on every one. Other companies soon copied eBay. By the time Trump is able to end this abuse by withdrawing completely from the UPU eBay and other companies will have cost USPS at least $3 billion in loses

By buying from China who are bankrupting USPS! How do you think USPS makes up for these loses? They raise all their other rates!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-made-the-right-call-to-withdraw-from-the-universal-pos...

2. These packages from China have very lax inspections! They pose a potential risk as a weapon for terrorists, including government sponsored terrorism. These packages can weigh up to 4.4 pounds and are treated like 1st Class Mail within the U.S. They could contain dangerous substances such as drugs, biological weapons or chemical weapons. No need for North Korea to develop a long range missile - they can instead smuggle a small amount of nerve gas in one of these packages into the U.S. via China.

3. Google China for dangerous products. They've produced thousands of dangerous products ranging form drywall to pet food. Guess who still makes asbestos laden products?

I've saw some Chinese USB cables in DollarTree several years ago. The packages actually said you needed to wash your hands after handling them as they might contain lead. Those are dangerous and they made it past a store's U.S. buyers. You are dealing direct with Chinese companies who have repeatedly shown they have no qualms about violating safety regulations!

The company you are dealing with is: (a) actually owned by the Chinese government; (b) owned by former and current Communist party political and military leaders' or (c) a private company which must do anything the Chinese government says, including sharing any information they may know about you. Why would you want to financially reward any of these companies?

4. There are an estimated 800,000 to 1 million Chinese ethnic Uyghurs, who are primarily follows of Islam, in government concentration camps, some of which are equipped with crematories to get rid of the dead bodies. How do think China paid for this and its other police state actions? From the goods it sells!

5. You are contributing to pollution due to lax Chinese environmental practices that kills tens of thousands of people in China each year.

6. Are virtual slaves making your items? Watch the film China Blue. Its about two underage girls who venture from the countryside to sew jeans in a city factory in an attempt for a better life. They are paid pennies an hour.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I won't buy from China. They send to wrong addresses. Don't buy electronics, jewelry, or clothing from China.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Seems like I'm in the minority here, but I do buy items from China.

The caveat is this:  I don't spend more than I can afford to lose and I don't mind waiting 6 weeks for these items.

What I buy is mostly sewing notions, thread, ribbon, buttons.  Yes, these items are available at my local fabric store, but not in the variety that I can find on line.  Plus that my closest fabric store is about 11 miles away in a crowded shopping center and my available Chinese sources are as near as my mailbox.

And, if I did buy them at the fabric store, they would have come from China also.

Again, I would not buy anything large, electronic or that I could not afford to lose money on.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

They sell lots of counterfeit items , especially toys.  check out LEGO figures ,  My pretty Pony toys, etc.   Why can you get them dirt cheap from China?  Because they are fakes, often made from inferior materials.  ebay does NOt care.  Ebay condones the sales of these items.     DON'T BUY FROM CHINA.  Support your local stores.  yes,  often the items may come from China, but at least these businesses are employing folks and they pay taxes . ( state , federal, local, etc.)  The local businesses generate other businesses too.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

It’s wise to exercise a degree of caution and do some research before buying direct from a supplier based in China. 

I have been burned a couple of times and received defective items that had to be tossed in the trash. I won’t even bother looking at low dollar items now. Yes they are cheap, but often it’s just throwing money away.

I would avoid buying very cheap electrical items or anything that could pose a health and safety risk. You have to assume many of these do not conform to the stringent quality controls and standards legitimate products are held to. Buying direct circumvents the consumer protections put in place to keep you safe. Your safety is not worth the risk. 

Purchasing counterfeits also hurts legitimate businesses. Many of whom have worked hard to develop original products. Counterfeits damage the reputation and threaten the viability of honest businesses. They can be the end of smaller businesses unable to absorb lost sales or recover reputation.

On the rare occasion I might purchase something, it would only be if I was very sure about exactly what I’d be receiving and it was unavailable elsewhere. 

Unfortunately corporate greed is really what’s responsible for the situation we’re now facing. By offshoring manufacture to take advantage of a very cheap labor force they opened the floodgates. Counterfeits and complaints of unfair practice being a part of that.

Explanation here:

How China Beats The West At Capitalism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6i5qVbL2ys

Also watch a PBS documentary called “Left Behind America.” It’s very sad and bitter irony to see a former GM plant closed due to the effects of offshoring be reopened years later by a Chinese company. Which then rehired many of the same workers for less pay and fewer benefits. 

Relevant segment is from 36:51 onward:

Left Behind America

https://www.thirteen.org/programs/frontline/left-behind-america-tkmile/

These days I will always look at where something is made before buying. Whenever possible, I want my money to reward companies that support their local workforce and communities. I also prefer my money goes to companies based in countries that support the freedoms and values I treasure. 

I buy less these days and things might cost a little more. But fewer items of better quality could be considered a good thing. As is knowing where the money you spend goes, who it’s supporting and ultimately what it’s enabling.

Think before you buy. ‘Caveat emptor’ is a good term to live by if dealing direct.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply