cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Googly Eye Doll Identification Help

Hello, I just got this little Googly eye doll. She is 10 inches. I suspect it to be a repro. She has a cloth body and porcelain arms/legs/head. She has a very faint mark of 605 on the back of her head. I haven't been able to locate another with a cloth body like hers. Any info is appreciated! Thanks 🙂20220301_183828.jpg20220301_183845.jpg20220301_183858.jpg20220301_183923.jpg.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@luckyfindsvintagetreasures,

I am not a doll collector, but have learned a lot from some on this board.

The head looks like one from a Kestner doll. They did make some 10" dolls.  It may be a reproduction one or a different doll manufacturer's body with a Kestner head.  They did sell their heads to other doll makers. This doll has the same smile eyes and number of painted eyelashes as the first doll in a topic from a couple of months back. (link Below) It was a Kestner JDK 221 doll.   

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Toys-Hobbies/Identifying-a-Germany-11-jdk-221-Doll-amp-a-Rothschild-Do...

@kathiec  may be able to identify it for you if she sees that I tagged her.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thankyou! I was thinking the same thing but wondering why mine does not say 221 on the back like most of the others do. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@luckyfindsvintagetreasures 

Your doll is definitely a reproduction, of a Kestner 221. This is one of the most widely reproduced of the antique bisque dolls. Like the doll in the post @mudshark61369 referenced, you can tell by the lack of refinement in the face paint and the modern eyes. Also, Kestners never had cloth bodies.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes! I am Familiar with Kestner dolls I am more curious as to the company who produced this doll I am thinking Impex victoria 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@luckyfindsvintagetreasures,

Thank @kathiec , not me.  The only thing I am good at is remembering toys I have seen. All I did was remember the topic.  The knowledge about the doll all came from her.  If you run into Boys toys, you want to know about then I can help.  

That reproduction may still be vintage and have some value.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Unless there's a maker's mark it's very difficult to determine a maker for reproduction dolls. The molds were readily available to hobbyists, so there really are countless options, from a mass-market manufacturer to a one-off hobbyist. As a general observation, there are levels of quality in the reproductions. The higher quality ones tend to have composition bodies.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply