cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone give any information on this Train?

I hate to do it but I have no where else to ask, other than a professional shop. My Dad collected trains but he passed 10 years ago, still going through items. There doesn't seem to be any markers or identification on this piece, I have nothing to go by.  I don't know if it was his or passed down to him from a relative.  I would just like to know if I should donate it or is there any sort of value to this item. Secondary value to me is more than $20. 

Thank you for any replies.20240407_100916.jpg20240407_100923.jpg20240407_100928.jpg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can anyone give any information on this Train?

Hi @logrey87 

I see some of my friends tagged me so thank you @policequilts and @lakefor94 ...

This is what the train market would consider an 0-4-0 Dockside Switcher Steam Engine.  The gauge would be HO (1:87).  The real thing would be used in a rail yard to move box cars around for shipping or loading on to ships.  As to who made it, that is a good question but it does look like most of it was formed from brass.  It also looks handmade which is not uncommon for some early brass train models.  I have come across quite a few engines over the years that have no markings on them.  

You can put it on a HO track and see if it runs ... pictures of the front of the engine would be great, it looks like it has a head light installed but I am not sure if it is one designed to actually light up.

Som guys who really know the brass train industry would be a better source than I am but if I got that in a lot at an auction I would put it on a 10 auction with eBay and start it at $ 49.95.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Just idle curiosity:  Why do you "hate to do it"? These Boards are specifically created for fellow eBayers to ask for help or advice and I am sure  you know that.  

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@mr_lincoln is one of the train experts. 

Posting ID
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I can't help but feel the boards should be used for genuine ebay related issues.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@mr_lincoln  knows about trains.

He should be stopping in some time and can give you some information.

I did a search of the image of your train and this comes close to what you have . . .

On WorthPoint  :

Vintage Gem Models? HO Brass Locomotive Engine B&O Docksider Train C-16 98 NR!

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-gem-models-ho-brass-405610893

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, I appreciate any assistance.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Almost looks like folk art.  Gives me a steam punk vibe.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Hi @logrey87 

I see some of my friends tagged me so thank you @policequilts and @lakefor94 ...

This is what the train market would consider an 0-4-0 Dockside Switcher Steam Engine.  The gauge would be HO (1:87).  The real thing would be used in a rail yard to move box cars around for shipping or loading on to ships.  As to who made it, that is a good question but it does look like most of it was formed from brass.  It also looks handmade which is not uncommon for some early brass train models.  I have come across quite a few engines over the years that have no markings on them.  

You can put it on a HO track and see if it runs ... pictures of the front of the engine would be great, it looks like it has a head light installed but I am not sure if it is one designed to actually light up.

Som guys who really know the brass train industry would be a better source than I am but if I got that in a lot at an auction I would put it on a 10 auction with eBay and start it at $ 49.95.  

Regards,
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

20240407_143336.jpg20240407_143342.jpgThank you, really appreciate the information.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I am not a train expert, I deal in ephemera. I recently sold some magazines which exist for train model builders.

This looks like a model train made by a hobbyist model builder. There still are some and there are several currently published magazines appeal to them, here and in the UK, and provide detailed plans.

I have no clue how one values them.

I also have sold plans designed for ship model builders based on WWII ships in the US Navy.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@logrey87 

My sincere thanks for the pics of the front boiler cover and head light.  The headlight looks ornamental, not functional.

Regards,
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@logrey87,

You reply to soh.maryl,

"can't help but feel the boards should be used for genuine ebay related issues".

Identification of vintage, unmarked or very hard to find items, for people looking to sell them, is a genuine ebay issue.  There are specific boards for people who have Buying, Selling, Shipping... issues. Then there are the category boards for people who need this kind of help.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@logrey87,

In the link provided by @mr_lincoln , you'll note the house was only guessing that their item was a Gem model locomotive. I called my cousin who is a serious Brass Train collector, who has built several brass model kits.  He gave me a link to the site below that has a photo of the Gem model.

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/056303/HO-Brass-Gem-SH-119-B-O-Baltimore-Ohio-0-4...

The site is a pretty good one for identifying brass kits. If you search the site do call it a docksider,  mention the wheel configuration 0 front truck wheels 4 drive wheels - 0 rear truck wheels or 0-4-0. steam as the power method, and HO as the scale to start with based on its size. If your Dad collected Brass trains, and you have more to identify the site may help with identification. You can always ask us on this board for help as well. There are a few of us model train enthusiasts on this board.

You will note there are several detail differences between that one and the one you have. While 0-4-0 Docksider steam locos were pretty much the same the world over, a couple of things lead me to believe that yours is a replica of a type used in Europe, that the owner kit bashed (a way of using parts from different models to create a special one)  The saddle bag style water tanks being the most obvious difference. Though those could be Oil/water tanks for a coal to steam power converted locomotive.  I know of one that was operated on an excursion railroad, but it had a different oil/water tank arrangement, set up in the old coal bin behind the cab.

Another is the curved bar at the engine's rear that has a hook for European style couplers, as well as a Tongue pin that would normally be used for a tender. The fact that the chassis is made of pot metal and the front mounted drive gear also suggests the base kit was a European one.

Still if it runs (a big IF for older Brass locos not run in a long time), it is an interesting model a collector might like. I'd take it to a shop that specializes in model trains locally to at least see if it runs or tries to.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

I noticed the loop coupler on the rear similar to Marklin as well as the tender "pin" but decided not to mention it.  Many dockside switchers had their coal or wood in the chamber right behind the engineer's cabin although I am sure a tender could be added.  The pin may have simply been added for (toy) freight cars that had a coupler tongue with a hole in it. 

Regards,
Message 14 of 14
latest reply