cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer that otimaticly placed refun on an item within 3 inutes of delivery to mail dox.

cocoquan22
Explorer

This item was sold from our storage. I guess it needs a battery. It  was new and there are instructions on the battery. I have messages buyer the terns set and stated " no refunds or returns since it has been in storage". after several messages to buyer including the battery type and no., a link yo youtub on the item, and copying the entire item description and terms, she now says that she had to buy a screwdriver to replace the battery . the last email being sarcastic and no positive outcome in sending the item back either. It seems she wants it for free. Any help would be appreciated on how i can resolve without lousing my money

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Buyer that otimaticly placed refun on an item within 3 inutes of delivery to mail dox.

Your "No Refunds" policy means nothing if the item is "Not as Described". Have they opened a case?

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

What does the reason for the return say? 

Disclaiming any responsibility for the condition because it's been in storage doesn't release you from accurately and completely describing your items. It also doesn't prevent buyers from getting a return/refund if your listing wasn't accurate. 

In looking at your listings, I noticed that you don't specifically state that items will need batteries nor that batteries aren't included. 

Is it the Vintage Portable Cassette Tape Player With Head Phones NEW in Box Model # MW-50? Although the listing states that it takes AA battery, that's unclear whether it's included. 

With that said, if the request is for any type of "not as described" reason, you must accept the return and pay for return shipping or ebay will issue the refund (from your funds) and the buyer will keep the item.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

May I respectfully suggest that you re-read eBay's information for sellers?

If a buyer opens an item not as described case, you're bound by eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers and your "no returns" stance means nothing.

Plus, if you are selling something that's battery operated, you need to state whether or not the battery is included.

Another suggestion:  Spell check is your friend.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I guess it needs a battery. It  was new and there are instructions on the battery.

There's no room for guessing.  New items with the batteries included, inserted are a liability for sellers.  They can corrode while in storage.  I test everything before I list and before I ship.  If new, I will open to inspect and verify the battery status.  This is on you, don't blame the buyer.  Let it be a learning experience. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Pick one

Offer a partial refund for a battery.

Offer to accept a return and provide a return label. 

Offer to refund in full and let them keep it.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@cocoquan22,

You messed up by not photographing the box especially if it said on it "Needs 2 type AA batteries, not included".  Photographing the instruction sheet to show it was included would have been a smart thing to do as well. Photographing the battery compartment of battery operated items is a smart thing to do as well. Since the player is old, you should have bought batteries so at least you could have tested the player to see if the motor turned the spindles.  You do not need to have a cassette to do that.

There is an unwritten golden rule for selling on ebay, and especially if you are listing vintage items.

"Describe all items like there are no photos and photograph them as if there is no description".

You are in a difficult spot, have you checked the buyer's feedback profile and looked at the feedback left for others?  Doing that may let you know if the person seems to have many issues, and fishes for partial refunds.  Comments like "seller worked with me" or mentions of refunds. 

"she now says that she had to buy a screwdriver to replace the battery".

The buyer has left you one chance of not losing all of your money.  If they used a screwdriver to remove the whole back of the player, instead of just sliding the batter cover off,  chances are they left marks on the screw heads.  That means the player is not in the same condition as it was when it was bought. You have the option of sending a partial refund and letting them keep the player, since they as much as admitted they have modified the player's condition.  Read the info in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/condition-returned-items-policy?id=4763

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply