cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

Hi out there;

I’m really interested in learning about the History of Erector Sets: books, magazine articles, etc.  Can’t find much on net except eBay. Can anybody expand on what’s “easy” to find? Dates & quantities & model changes etc.

pjx2-2

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

If you can't find the information you want via Google, check your local library to see if there is a Reference Librarian.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

@pjx2-2 

When I googled "origin of erector sets" there seemed to be a lot of articles.  Besides articles, there were lots of pictures of vintage erector sets.  Did you find those articles or are you looking for something more in-depth?

For Christmas I got my little grandson, 6 1/2 yrs. old, an erector set. He just loved it.  My daughter said it was his favorite gift that I ever got him.  He's pretty advanced at putting large sets of Legos together by himself & I wanted to get him something similar but different.   It's really for older kids, but he loved it, but said it was "challenging."   

So kids (and adults) still love them!

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

Good for you!  And for him.  I recall getting my son (who just turned 60) building kits. First it was TinkerToys (didn't go over too well) then it was Lincoln Logs (not too much better) then it was Legos, which took off gangbusters.  It wasn't long before he'd run out of legos, so he was combining Tinks and Lincolns and then Hot wheels. We had Hot wheel tracks all over the house up and down Lego and Tink and Lincoln structures. I'd usually get another package of Legos every 2 weeks or so, cuz I didn't want to stymie him. The really nice thing was that he'd organize and sort all the pieces and parts.  I tried Erector with him but it never really took off.  I'm thinking that today's Erector isn't as good as the original, being plastic and all, but that doesn't make it bad.  Lego has taken to putting out "build-it-one-way" airplanes and motorcycles, but they have also gotten into computers.  AC Gilbert's manuals explained gear ratios and speed vs power and how to obtain reverse.  Quite advanced for the time.

Thank you for your comments.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

The Gilbert House is now a chidren's museum and huge playground in Salem, Oregon. There's a neat exhibit with the early erector sets and other educational "toys". Our kids really only cared about the playground though. Neat place!

https://acgilbert.org/

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

@pjx2-2 

My initial introduction to the Gilbert Erector sets was Christmas in 1956 -- one of my all-time favorite gifts.  I cannot calculate the numbers of robots which I built with those metal girders and screws and bolts -- great fun for rainy afternoons in the summer, and the freezing, gloomy gray days of winter.

Many years later, I discovered a smaller, pocket size version which I gifted to my own son, sometime in the late 1970s.  

Every once in a while, at antique stores and flea markets, I'll run into another of the classic metal sets, often with the instruction booklet -- and sometimes even the motor!

But I have enough toys as it is -- I'll leave them for a new generation of engineers. . ..

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

@pjx2-2,

The first metal construction set was invented by Frank Hornby in England in 1899. It was called the Mecanno (after his company's name) Set.

In 1909 Alfred Carlton Gilbert founded the Mysto Manufacturing co. and in 1913 introduced an almost identical set called Erector, first sold as The Mysto Erector Structural Steel Builder Play Set.  Mysto's name was changed in 1916 to the A.C. Gilbert Co.

The company sold the Erector Brand to Gabriel Co, in the `60s who continued manufacturing them as Erector Sets until 1980 when they discontinued making them. In 1990 Meccano bought the Erector brand and made both sets under the Meccano Erector brand selling them around the world.  In 2013  a Canadian company called Spin Master Ltd.  bought the brands and continues to produce the sets as Meccano Erector, but the main plant for production of the sets located in Calais France, was closed last year. 

Searches:

Alfred Carlton Gilbert.  Mysto Co.   A.C. Gilbert Co. history. 

Frank Hornby, Meccano Ltd. history,

National Museum of Play.

There are several You Tube videos and links to Magazine articles that can be found using those searches.

There is a 1962, Mecanno set listed on eBay at present use the link below. If you want to compare it to similar age A.C. Gilbert Erector set.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275635015889

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

Hey, you're talking to an old guy who doesn't understand "enough".   Is there some kind of support group or meetings to go to?  "Hi. My name is Peter and I'm an accumulationist".

Be well

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

THANKS!   I'd come across much of what you sent, but I'd never heard of "National Museum of Play"  and look forward to looking into it.  Some of the history of Erector that I'm curious about is the model years and changes and quantities, etc. For example, I have what was purported to be a "10 1/2" set made sometime after 1942 but before 1948 which has many parts of aluminum which was in short supply during WW2.  Likewise, I have a lot of 8-32 brass nuts from sets of the same vintage. ???  When was the "6 1/2" made, which, apparently, had several painted pieces which did not appear in the "8 1/2" set. ???  And, whose idea was the "1/2" designation.   Looking at some of the pix and literature of the sets, one can see how much wouldn't "fly" today:  "Hello Boys" says the cover of a manual while the box for the "6 1/2" shows Dad smoking a pipe.  And nearly all of the "boys" are wearing neckties!!

It's sort of like the pix in "Popular Science" which always showed Mom in the kitchen with apron and high heels.  

Thanks again!

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

@pjx2-2,

When searching online always check the suggested searches. There is a lot about some companies histories old catagogs, and other info in their home state and/or city museums or newspapers.  The link below is from the Eli Whitney Museum, in New Haven ct.  For some toy Mfrs. there are collectors forums, so searching for those can help as well.  I would have posted the link below yesterday, but I forgot I saved it.

https://www.eliwhitney.org/catalog/products/all/erector

You may want to try searches for;  Educational toys - builder sets, and Engineering toys.

Sets produced early in WWII may have continued to have metal parts in them made up from pre-war stock. Some may not be cataloged because of very limited production runs. I've heard during the war Gilbert tried making some wood construction sets. I do know that post war Gilbert was not on the fast list for receiving metals from the War Production Board, in the post war period, they didn't start getting enough metal to resume manufacturing until mid `48 which is why the catalogs in the above link start in 1949. 

The link below takes you to a discussion site, The AC Gilbert Heritage Society, that also has info about Collecting / price guide books.  You can do searches for the book titles online to see if any are selling for low prices.  There may still be active chat rooms in that site.

https://www.acghs.org/

Yesterday while doing some searching for you, I did run across a site about people adapting Erector sets to the steam engine toys that were popular in the post war period and `50s.  It also had info about using erector sets in the modern era for teaching kids about robotics.  I tried finding it again but couldn't. I do remember getting my youngest son a plastic knock off erector type set that could make either a robot or car that could be computer programmed. I think it was made sometime between 2005 and 2010.  So I don't see why some haven't more recently experimented with Erector sets to make computerized robotic machines for manufacturing or other purposes in high schools.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

The wonderful lady at the Falmouth (MA) Public Library looked up and found for me 2 books : "The Man Who Lived In Paradise" an autobiography of AC co-written in 1990 (long after AC's death in 1961)  The other is " The Man Who Changed How Boys and Toys Were Made" by Bruce Watson, no date available right now.  She also mentioned that the movie "The Man Who Saved Christmas" was about AC.

She found "Paradise" in an affiliated library and is having it sent to Falmouth for me to pick up.  She is also getting "Christmas" (on DVD) for me.  I guess it's about time to retire the VCR.

She also put me onto "The A. C. Gilbert Heritage Society", which I have not looked into yet.

It turns out that I might need to get a new "smart" TV to run DVD's.   Learning stuff just isn't as simple as it once was.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

WOW, you've gotten into this stuff. Shame on you. A day at the library got me onto 2 books, a movie, and "The A.C. Gilbert Heritage Society".  I started out with an Erector Set, knowing nothing about it (today) but recalling it/them from years way past and then I bought another set (WHY??) and wanted to find out something about this guy and his "toys". I really wanted to sell this on ebay but I think that I need to describe an item clearly and truthfully in order to make some other dolt want to buy it. At this point, I've spent about 4 days (not including purchase price of 2nd set) and have NO idea what I want to list it for.  I recall being stumped by lack of material ("We were poor and I only had 3 Lincoln Logs) so I thought maybe I could attract attention of similar '50's kids and peddle a "dream set" with many, many pieces in it. A quick stroll through the "Society" tells me that folks there are worried about the parts cups being 2" deep or 2 1/16' deep in order to be "original".  BTW, all of my parts cups have the same enigmatic "pry up" message inside the bottom of the cup.  Where did this cup material come from???  Ahhh, the mystery.

Be well

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

@pjx2-2,

"WOW, you've gotten into this stuff. Shame on you".

I have been into saving, collecting, rehabbing vintage toys since I was a kid, (a Baby Boomer) when mom would donate or throw out our toys, unless we hid them in the attic, where she would not go.  I've learned to use "collecting" books and the computer to find out about toys I'm not familiar with, or that were produced by companies that did not last long.  I've got a few old toys that took years to identify, who made them, or to find out how they worked or what accessories they came with.  As a result I have amassed a lot of books, saved hundreds of site links, and a lot of useless, to most people, knowledge about vintage/antique toys, and I am still learning.

"I started out with an Erector Set, knowing nothing about it (today) but recalling it/them from years way past and then I bought another set (WHY??) and wanted to find out something about this guy and his "toys".

That's how it can start, then the next thing you know, you start playing with them and  buying more of them, which can lead to expanding your interest into other directions, until you're accused of being an addict or hoarder.

"I really wanted to sell this on ebay but I think that I need to describe an item clearly and truthfully in order to make some other dolt want to buy it. At this point, I've spent about 4 days (not including purchase price of 2nd set) and have NO idea what I want to list it for".

Your best bet to find out what A.C. Gilbert Erector sets sell for is to do an advanced search for sold/completed listings.  Open the listings to see what is included in them, since many are missing parts, and to compare what you have to the listings that sold. Often you can find info in the listing titles or descriptions that can help you identify sets, parts, motors, etc..  At the top of a results page you can toggle between Buy It Now, and Auction listings to see which would be a better way to list what you have.

"I recall being stumped by lack of material ("We were poor and I only had 3 Lincoln Logs) so I thought maybe I could attract attention of similar '50's kids and peddle a "dream set" with many, many pieces in it".

Most sets used standardized length girders, plates, gears, wheels, etc.  Obviously the sets dedicated to making some of the larger items had longer girders. The 10, 1/2 set you have, which was I believe one of the amusement park sets, which made tall park rides, would have longer length girders, and base plates, the smaller beginner sets shorter girders and smaller base plates and fewer parts. If you can get a parts inventory sheet, you can assemble a complete set, from several others, or from individual parts lots which have been and are sold on ebay. 

"A quick stroll through the "Society" tells me that folks there are worried about the parts cups being 2" deep or 2 1/16' deep in order to be "original". BTW, all of my parts cups have the same enigmatic "pry up" message inside the bottom of the cup. Where did this cup material come from??? Ahhh, the mystery".

Dedicated collectors will obsess over things like that. The difference between cup depth could be because pre-war set's parts were a thicker gauge metal than post war ones. That info can probably be found on the Heritage site I posted a link to yesterday. If you can date the two sets you can try using a caliper to see if there's a difference in thickness of girders or base plates. There could be variations in the thickness of parts from sets produced in the `50s to those made in the later `60s as interest in the sets was waning and costs had to be brought down. Remember, for a while girders and other items were made of plastic.

I have 4 or 5 erector sets in my storage locker and do not remember any of them having parts cups. One has a cardboard insert that has some elastic holders for parts. My Guess is if the cups are a plastic material it would be made of thin vacuform plastic.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

The Gilbert atomic lab was their best I think.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

A.C. Gilbert Erector Set

@simba6,

If the "Atomic Lab" was produced by Gilbert, that could be more modern set, possibly from the 60s if the company name was just Gilbert not A.C. Gilbert on the box.  In the post war era `46 - the early 60s, there was a lot of secrecy surrounding anything to do with Atomic Energy/Power.  So something like an "Atomic lab" would likely have been manufactured after that time frame.

I do know that the owners of Revell model company were investigated by the FBI because that had a model of the USS Nautilus ready for sale by the 1954-5 Christmas season, the same year it was launched, and they wanted to know how they attained the sub's dimensions to produce such an accurate model.

They were investigated again in 1959, when they released a model of the USS Long Beach the worlds first nuclear powered surface warship the same year it was launched. It had a removable section of the super structure showing its nuclear reactor. That investigation was quickly closed when the Navy told the FBI they had provided Revell with enough info to make that portion of the model without giving any secrets away.

It just shows how paranoid we were about nuclear energy/power back then. Producing DIY bomb shelters was a growth industry for a few years. 

Wanna play a game of Duck and Cover, anyone?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply