cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Hate-a-Thon! Why are so many against 'other venue' selling??

I am asking this on a few discussion boards, so you may see this again somewhere else. I have been an eBay seller since 1999. I have a policy of listing auctions twice for 7 days, then placing them as a Buy It Now w/Best Offer for a length of 30 days, or sometimes 'good 'til cancelled.' I have had items that have revolved around the 'good 'til cancelled or renew every 30 days for quite some time, each time adding more fees to my account. The majority of the items I sell are listed on eBay, but I have now opened an etsy store for those items that just don't move on eBay. eBay is an excellent place to sell, and I love it, but first, is it against eBay's policies to inform buyers that they also sell on other sites? And, why are so many seller's against it? I still pay all my eBay fees, and I also pay fees on etsy - it's not free!!! If I had a physical store and wanted to open another store across town to reach more buyer's, what is the difference or the harm if I do it over the web? I inform buyer's on etsy that I sell on eBay and etsy has no problem with that. I have read some real disgusting, horrid and downright mean comments regarding eBay sellers that also sell on etsy, facebook (which I don't), etc., as if you are a traitorous rebel who should be in jail! Sellers are allowed (I think) to let buyer's know in their listings that they have a separate on-line store outside of eBay (albeit you can't give the actual address). What is this mean-spirited anger about? I am taking NOTHING away from any eBay seller - in fact, by informing etsy sellers I sell on eBay, it brings them TO eBay, as well. It is simply another venue to sell my items, (even if I don't have a physical shop), and I should be able to tell my buyer's that - WHAT is the harm? eBay is SO huge, my ten or so items on etsy will not reduce the numbers of people buying on eBay (goodness, I'm a seller AND quite often a buyer on eBay!).  Can I have some feedback on this - please don't be abusive, disgusting or hateful, that adds nothing to an honest question and intelligent interchange of others' thinking. Thanks so much, everyone, in advance for your help and explanations! Blessings to all ~ Beth

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Seller Hate-a-Thon! Why are so many against 'other venue' selling??

hi Beth

as a five year veteran and successful etsy seller

when you are caught promoting ebay in any form on your etsy listing, your etsy account will be disabled.

its not OK

it is against the TOS etsy dos and donts

just wanted to give you a heads up

you broke it again evil doer
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Seller Hate-a-Thon! Why are so many against 'other venue' selling??

is it against eBay's policies to inform buyers that they also sell on other sites?

Yes

Sellers are allowed (I think) to let buyer's know in their listings that they have a separate on-line store outside of eBay (albeit you can't give the actual address).

No that is supposed to be on your ME page

I don’t think eBayers hate other sites. I’ve used the one you mention, as well as i0, the Ranch, the Moon and other sites. My only problem with any of them was that there were few or no sales.

EBay is the 800lb gorilla.

Many sellers use their own websites to sell. We do and it is very good. However, we also set it up over 25 years ago (yes it has been updated since it was just a list without picturesWoman LOL) and promote it in our B&M store, at shows, on our invoices and at one time in the Yellow Pages and hobby trade publications.

We also use websites that are specific to our hobby, the best being the one attached to the American Philatelic Society followed by an Italian online auction site.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply