cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inherited a vast collection of philippine stamps during japanese invasion period

would like to know if there is a buying market for those stamps. if there is how to market or sell, individually .grouping or collection. I have done some research on the stamps. but  i could use the groups input .

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: inherited a vast collection of philippine stamps during japanese invasion period

There are a number of forgeries of the various overprints, outnumbering the genuine by quite a bit. Unless you know the provinance to preclude any chance they are bad you'll want to have them checked out.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Re: inherited a vast collection of philippine stamps during japanese invasion period

The stamps came from my father who was stationed in the Philippines from 1944 to 1951 an avid stamp collector. I believe they are the real deal.where would I go locally to validate? Thanks for the input
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It is hard to give you any advice without seeing what you have.  For the most part the stamps have little value.  The early ones of Spainish and U.S. dominion will have the most value.  There is also a quite vaulable set from 1944 which is overprinted "Victory", although as Bill has said the overprint has been forged.  There are also some of the Spainish stamps that have been forged.  If you could scan a few pages of the early Spainish and U.S. issues as well as the "victory" overprinted issue, if you have it, we can tell you if there is value in them.   We then could advise you what might be the best way to sell them.  Note the victory set I am talking about has only the word victory overprinted not victory and commenwealth.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Do you mean the stamps were collected during the Occupation period, or that they are all from the Occupation period? (Not necessarily the same thing.) If the second, there could be value, but forgeries of JO items appeared in the immediate post war period, for sale to collectors among allied forces, among others.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

i appreciate the advice I am having a hard time posting scann ed pictures I am new to scanning! I have  mhh stamps souvenir pages .dr. rizal rose and green mnh books of stamps 2 volume history thru stamps of the occupation I do have the victory stamps but they do have comonwealth on them I do have an interestiung Free Phillippines guerrilla postal service  2 centavos blue stamp that I have heard it is valuable  my father had it authenticated while in philippines lots of blocks mnh stamps an y advice is helpful i will try and scan more pictures

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

one of image pages for stamps from my family philippines

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

another image early philippines 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

PR,  Your scans are fine.  As far as the Spanish dominion page goes it is very weak and there is no real value in it.  You can see the comparable page in my collection Here:  http://mitch.seymourfamily.com/mward/collection/pacific/philippine/philippinesp05.jpg  While it is nearly complete it is not all that valuable with a catalog value of only around $220.00.  Something you need to understand about catalog values are that they are not prices that you can expect to get in the real world.  They are retail prices that dealers try to get for the stamps.  If you sell the stamps by yourself you will be lucky to get 30% of thse values, if sold to collectors.  Dealers would only give you around 5-10%, or more in the case of rare stamps.  The U.S page that is overprinted is not that much better as the stamps shown are fairly common with a catalog value of around $32.00.  The overprints on these are probaly all good as fake overprints were mainly applied to the higher values.   You can see a much better page from my collection here: http://mitch.seymourfamily.com/mward/collection/pacific/philippine/philippineus.html  While it has some better stamps in it the best ones worth the most money are missing.  It would probaly sell for around $200-300.  The stamps with the "victory" and 'commenwealth" overprints do not have significant value.  I collect the whole world and do not specialze in the Phillipines so I am not familliar with all but the most commonly issued stamps.  The Guerrilla stamps you show could be the best stamps in the collection.  They are not listed in the Scott catalog so I do not have any idea what they are worth.   During war times there are many stamps issued by different parties involved often with wishful thinking and having considerable value.  Japan also issued occupation stamps for the Phillipines and some are fairly scarce.  The Guerrilla stamps with there limited production numbers are sure to be sought after by collectors who specialize in the Phillipines.  While Ebay might be a good place to auction those off they would probably do better in a stamp auction house that mainly deals in the Phillipines. I do not know of any such auction houses but they are sure to exsist and possibly others here could refer you to them, if not Google would be able to find them.

If you could show some more pages it might be helpful especially early Spainish or war era and Japanes issues also early airmail stamps that have overprints reading "airmail 1926 Madrid-Manila.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Also to note:  Modern stamps (post 1944) with a few exceptions have very little value. This also goes for the MNH blocks.  The prices given in the catalog for stamps of this era are for MNH stamps.  Hinged stamps sell for slightly less.  Earlier MNH stamps most often carry a heafty premium with the exclusion of the most common Spainish era stamps.   If you do not have one, you can usually get a fairly reason copy of the Scott catalog from your local library.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

It is worth mentioning a couple of things. The single copy of the 1943 Guerrilla stamp is reasonably valuable. There were 500 printed, and Fertig held on to the great majority of them, which is why so many were available from Littleton. The valuable 'Victory' overprints are the ones applied by hand in the Philippines in 1944. The ones that were printed instead of done by hand have some valuable examples, but the great majority of them are common. If your father kept correspondence from the time there might be some valuable items. What he would have collected after being there for a year or so is unlikely to be the good stuff, but he might have gotten his hands on some of the 1944 overprints.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

thank you for responding to my question. Everyone on the board has been helpful in there educated  advice and I appreciate  the input so that I can be better informed with my collection.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply