cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting Dec 19-21: “Famous and Infamous People"

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club ***

Please join us for our monthly meeting on Famous and Infamous Peoplefrom any time on Friday Dec 19 till midnight PST on Sunday Dec 21.

Famous and Infamous People

Show us your philatelic items that are connected with famous or infamous people.

A few examples off the top of my head:

Presidents (inc eUSC), other heads of state
Royalty, celebrities, war heroes and villains
Inventors, murderers, human rights activists
singers, Olympians, pioneers and explorers
Bushrangers, writers, and ……

A side topic, perhaps for those who would like to vent, is:

eBay’s changes: how do they affect you?

Anne and I will be provisioning the balcony with famous desserts such as peach melba, pavlova, baked Alaska, tiramisu and crème broulee. Posters (including Wanted posters) of famous people will decorate the walls.

Now’s the time for you to have your 15 minutes of fame, by posting to this thread!

See you soon!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: eBay Users' Stamp Club meeting Dec 19-21: “Famous and Infamous People"

And somewhere in my pile of acquisitions from the last 10+ years I have a cover from Japan to Denmark around 1955, addressed to Niels Bohr. The (Danish!) seller had not noticed and I think I paid around $5 for it. That would be most famous genuine item I have. Sorry I can't locate it right now....

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

I figured that since others are posting this time and I am not... I'd better post something. 

Mr. Hull wasn't terribly famous on a national level.  But, since I live in Iowa and I hear about Ethanol, etc all the time, I find it interesting and enlightening to see a speech by a congressman in 1933 about this topic. 

Hope everyone enjoys the meeting.

Rob

img344.jpgimg344.jpg

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

Jim, Kewl stuff, is it yours? If so I guess yo have a new collecting area.  I htought you were selling off your collection or are you just changing your focus.

I would think it a no brainer that the two most famous images of famous persons on stamp would be Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II.  I suspect the latter would be the winner but am not sure.  Does any one have a count of issued stamps bearing their images?

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

Hi Mitch! Good to see you posting. I'm afraid I have no idea as to how many, but I do think QEII would be a clear winner.

jaywild - Greg Deeter was before my time, but there were stories and I received warnings.

You told an interesting story and thanks for your efforts. Yes, he did use the occasional Nom D. Ploome after that.

email_12trees1947_detail_aug04.jpg

Here is a drop letter to Yoncalla, Oregon

The town name on the cover is Yoncolla, Ogn.

Addressed to Chas (Charles) Applegate. Charles was one of the three Applegate brothers who moved into the area in 1848 as part of the great Migration. His brother Jesse named the place Yoncalla after the local Indian tribe and was the first postmaster.

The house where Charles and Melinda Applegate lived in Yoncalla is the oldest known residence in Oregon that has remained in continuous family ownership since its construction.

us-cv-0063_a_035.jpg

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Hi Mitch--

How are you?  How's the house coming?  Must be about finished by now.

The Civil War stuff grew out of my interest in collecting Inauguration Day cancels.  I started many years ago, and was delighted to find all the autograph items on eBay unidentified by the seller.  The Confederate soldier letter was listed as a Union item.  I have hung onto parts of my collection, mostly because demand for things is so pitiful at present.  In selling my machine cancels I have been shocked to let very scarce items go for only a buck or two.  Very depressing. 

Sheryll:  Nom de Ploome indeed.  I wonder what nickname the inmates would pick for him if he ever wound up in prison? 

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

Also, how could I not post something that was completely and utterly off-topic?  It would leave me feeling lost and hollow.  In light of this, I give you all a picture of the little kitten Amy we rescued in August.  We have an infrared camera that records feral cats at a feeding station in the yard, and whenever we see a new one we trap it, neuter it then release it back into the yard.  They stick around, and have been a spectacularly successful antidote to the hordes of rats and cockroaches that previously dominated the neighborhood.  Amy only weighed 4 pounds when we caught her, and was desperate for a little kindness from anywhere, so she became the third rescued cat in the house.  Plus I liked the way she looked--short, bulldog legs; long dachshund body; long thick panther tail. 

♥ 2014-09-05 DSCF1744fix.jpg

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

Last post, I swear!  Happy Holidays to all!  You are a great bunch of people and have been the source of much delight, knowledge and inspiration for me over the years.  Below, an image of our Christmas card, that I made from a picture I found on the Internet...

xmas2014.jpg

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

jaywild - Thanks for the kind words and good wishes.

A merry Christmas to you and yours. Cute kitty!

In 1998, before I had ever exhibited, I bought a 1941 France Libre “Stolow” cover from a fellow collector, at a fairly high price! In 1999, once I connected to New Hebrides collectors in other countries, we found that covers like this were rather common.

The New Hebrides website currently has 16 of them, some of which have the name rubbed out. They were cancelled with either the British or the French cancellers.

1941.28oct.Stolow.FrenchCDS.censor.jpg

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

This cover is addressed to Sir Harry Luke, KCMG, the Western Pacific High Commissioner from 16 September 1938 to 21 July 1942. This position was combined with that of the Governor of Fiji.

1941.jul.21.Luke.Fiji.jpg

Message 24 of 33
latest reply

Susan B Anthony (Feb 15, 1820 – Mar 13 1906) was a campaigner for woman’s voting rights. She traveled to Europe in her later years, so probably visited Denmark, to be receiving this letter.

The 4 ore value was issued 1875-1915. Five of them = heavy items like money sent?

Denmark_USA_front.jpg

Message 25 of 33
latest reply

This cover from Norway was sent on March 3 1955 to actress and singer Doris Day.

Norway Doris Day.jpg

Message 26 of 33
latest reply

This one addressed to Johan Rudolph Thorbecke who was effectively Prime Minister of the Netherlands 3 times and this cover is dated in his 3rd period in office.

Dutch-PM.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 27 of 33
latest reply

Hi Sheryll...

Your Norway cancel is a repeater made by the KRAG company.  They made some very scarce cancelers used in the U.S.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

This one has fit into many meeting topics this year, so scroll on if you have seen it enough times. 

Dag Hammarskjöld was the UN Secretary-General from April 1953 until his death in a plane crash in September 1961. A US commemorative stamp honoring him was issued in October 1962.  Some of the sheets had the yellow background inverted, so postmaster general J. Edward Day ordered 4 million invert sheets to be printed, making the invert as common as the normal stamp. These were issued on 16 Nov 1962.

A detailed description of them can be found on this thread.

Here is an "exhibit" page of the errors, based on an album page my husband drafted and had me make up. Thumbnails below.

Page_1962_DH_inverts_album_small.jpg    Page_1962_DH_inverts_exhibit_small.jpg

Message 29 of 33
latest reply

Extraneous topics allowed?  Really!?

catandshoestring.jpg

I work on our vegetable/poultry farm and we've got some outdoor cats that work on our farm as well.  Mrrranda (shown above) has been known to "help" me when I'm working.

GenSharpecover.jpg

Back on topic.  Major General George H Sharpe provided intelligence to General Hooker in the Union army during the Cival War.  At the point of the sending of this letter, Sharpe was in Europe in an effort to find and investigate persons who may have been involved in Lincoln's assassination.

Rob

Message 30 of 33
latest reply