cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting Aug 19-21 “Stamp Shows”

*** eBay Users’ Stamp Club ***

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting on “Stamp Shows” from any time Friday August 19 till midnight PDT on Sunday August 21.

Stamp Shows

• Have you ever been to a stamp show?
  • Are they local shows, ASDA shows, regional shows, national or international?
  • What is your focus at stamp shows (e.g. look in dealer dollar boxes, exhibit, meet up with interstate friends and colleagues, attend meetings, look at exhibits, buy or sell, buy auction lots)?
  • What was the best thing you bought/that happened at the last show you attended?
  • Do you combine your vacations with stamp shows?
  • Which are the best stamp shows these days?

----------------------------------------------

• Anne will show items she bought from NOJEX back in 2001.
  • I will be putting up a display of PIPEX stamp show covers from 1936-2016. Donations of any PIPEX material appreciated.
  • The balcony staff will provide soda, cold water, chips and fruit, oh, and coffee.
  • A youth stamp store called “Dealer for 3 Days” will be set up in the workshop area.  Come and support our youth by buying something and giving them practice in answering curmudgeonly questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

*** An update on antonius-ra (Mitch Ward) ***

(link to his world collection: http://antonius-ra.com/mward/collection/)

Mitch’s house was badly burned in early June. He and his wife were OK, but they lost nearly all their possessions.

While cleaning up the roof after the fire in July,  Mitch fell, breaking both his feet and his pelvis.

After surgery, Mitch spent time in a nursing home, until he was able to go to his in-laws to stay.

He is mending slowly, and it will still be several weeks before he is ready for the next stage – crutches. He endures daily therapy and the pain level has subsided, some.

Meanwhile the burned house has been mostly cleaned and a large storage container placed on-site to receive the few salvageable items. Some thought is being given to having a wrecking Company tear away the, virtually destroyed, upper level and at a future time repair and rebuild the lower level. Time and finances are the issues.

Relatives have set up a website for those who wish to donate something to help Mitch out. See

https://www.gofundme.com/28zwhqp8

Thanks to all those who have helped Mitch. If you haven’t already, please consider donating to help Mitch out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See you there!

Sheryll and Anne
eUSC 2014-15 Co-Presidents sheryll*net (Sheryll in OR) and abt1950 (Anne in NJ)

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: eBay Users’ Stamp Club meeting Aug 19-21 “Stamp Shows”

Time to start!  I am lucky enough to attend quite a few shows.  Ohio has a variety of local bourses and club shows, plus two WSP shows (Garfield-Perry March Party in Cleveland and Colopex in Columbus).  I also had the luxury of attending the APS summer show in Oregon this year AND the International in New York (my third international, after Ameripex in Chicago in 1986 and the World Columbian in 1992, also Chicago).

Best thing at the last show:  my daughter winning the youth grand at the APS show in Portland!

Increasingly, my time at shows is taken up with society business, meetings, presentations, exhibiting (and soon judging - the other "best thing" at the APS show was submitting my apprentice paperwork to Liz Hisey).  I like to shop when the opportunity presents, of course, but shows are also a social experience.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for starting, Matt!

It was a pleasure to meet you and your daughter in Portland at APS StampShow. Looking forward to seeing future exhibits from your family.

For me there is something exciting about stamp shows, ever since my first one in 1992 when I snuck in to look at the Cinderella Class. And the show in 2000 when I first exhibited at State level.

For this last one, a big smile came over my face when I saw the Convention Center towers.... : ))

There is palpable excitement in the air, and I like to get there for setup so I can absorb it and...

But enough of that. Getting there for setup is a way to meet old friends in a usually relaxed atmosphere (you have time to talk around mounting exhibits). And it is also a way to have a good look at some of the exhibits if you assist the owner.

Exhibiting is also more fun if you are going to be attending the show. Showing it to family and friends, colleagues, those who exhibit similar material, and of course judges, who are happy to give you an at the frames critique. Medals are also a part of it, and it will depend on the medal and your expectations how it will go for you.

Meetings are important for me at shows. I like to attend them even if I'm not exhibiting so I can keep up with latest trends. This includes the judges feedback forum.

Awards dinners are also important for me. I missed one once and regretted it.

Dealers ditto. If I don't get to look at items I feel cheated out of an important part of the show. These last few years I have managed to come up with some cheaper items on my want list to make sure I see a few dealers.

Pulldown is a sadder time, but dinner afterwards make it better.

Looking forward to our next show in Portland. Meanwhile, the exhibiting madness continues as I put the last touches on a combined PIPEX cover exhibit for SEAPEX (4th link on the top right, once I get the HTML written).

While I won't be there, I am hoping for some feedback on this and another non-competitive exhibit on our club's 100 years of milestones.

Sheryll

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Well, I often go to stamps shows.   When I lived in NJ, I would nearly always go to NOJEX and to the ASDA "Mega Event" shows in Manhatten.

Now that I live in Seattle, I go to many of the local shows.   There is a local bourse every two months, some local club shows (Evergreen, GESSPEX and SNO-KING) and our fairly new WSP show, SEAPEX.

[I am on the board of the group running SEAPEX, which is this September 9-11.  http://seapexshow.org ]

I also often go down to the PIPEX show in Portland.  It was not held this year because of the APS Stampshow.   I did go to that and picked up a number of covers.  Some in the $20-$80 range and a number from a 50¢ cover box.

I have several times taken vacations overseas that I combined with going to stamp shows, PHILANIPPON 2001 in Tokio and NORDIA 2002 in Kristiansand, Norway.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, Eric, for your post. I missed seeing you at APS StampShow, but I did catch up with Jack and Lisa. Good luck with SEAPEX!

You answered one of the questions, on combining stamp shows with holidays. I found this worked out very well, but one had to choose the shows to fit in with one's life/lifestyle.

I was lucky to get to CANPEX 2000 as we had already planned a New Zealand holiday just before the show, and it was easy to tack it onto our holiday schedule. I was also exhibiting there as part of the Pacific Challenge.

Melbourne 'O2 was combined with a family holiday to Phillip Island and visiting childhood friends.

Pacific Explorer '05 I eventually realized I could make, as I was leaving Oz through Sydney around that time.

Sydney Stamp Expo '07 I made, but sadly the rain was tumbling down, which interfered with other sightseeing.

COALPEX '08 was a holiday planned after committing to exhibit at the show. Unfortunately, it meant that I had to miss out on NTSS '08 held here in Portland the same weekend.

Many shows don't lend themselves to combining with vacations, often because we don't know anyone in the city where the show is being held. Or the time is not right for taking time off from work. Or the funds are not there. Or we have made commitments in other parts of our lives. Or we are living with a non-traveling significant other. But when you can do it, go for it!!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks to those posted or looked in from the balcony.

I will close the meeting now and leave you with a "Mitch Update," courtesy of meostamps on the Stamporama thread.

Mitch is sounding much better but still in a good amount of pain and having to take meds for that. He did say that his doctor has given him the OK to put pressure on his feet and hip by standing up and moving around which he has started to do a bit.

Way to go, Mitch!!!

------------------------

The next meeting will be September 16-18, and the topic will be "Stamp Pairs".

The idea is to find the same feature, creature, design, town name, etc, on stamps of two different countries.

When we had this topic in our FaceBook Thematic group, it made me look really closely at my stamps, and I found matches I never expected. Here are a couple of examples. I have used the program Irfanview to make a "panorama image" that joins two images horizontally (or vertically).

A tiny owl

tiny owl.jpg

a horse

horses.jpg

Message 6 of 6
latest reply