cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** eBay Users' Stamp Club *** Meeting 25-28 May: “By the numbers”, Military

Please join us on this thread for our monthly meeting which runs from Friday 25th until midnight Monday 28th May PDT. The theme is "By the Numbers” The first poster starts by posting something philatelic relating to the number 1 in some form or other. The next poster must post something philatelic relating to a number greater than the previous one. It could be fractional, integral, exponential, etc. Small jumps in numbers will be rewarded with more points than larger jumps so that we do not have to start from scratch again during the meeting, but we may need to anyway if there is a flurry of posts. Ideally at least each integer between 1 and 10 will be covered with some possible fractions (three halfpence springs to mind, or Professor Julius Sumner Miller's glass and a half of fresh full cream milk...). Please allow at least half an hour between posts if you wish to post consecutively, to allow others to put up their posts. I hope you have fun with it, and show us all some "out of the sequence" thinking. Those who regard themselves as “not 1 2 be posting numbers” may elect to post something to do with the military for Memorial Day, but must state such. - - - - - - -- - - Anne will be displaying stamps covering a wide range of values of milliemes. I will be showing my collection of covers with multiple stamps of the same value. Tim Tams and Anzac biscuits will again be available in the balcony, to remember those who have fallen (out of the balcony.) The workshop area will contain paper trimmers for those who wish to prepare fractional stamp values. See you there! eUSC co-Presidents Anne in NJ and Sheryll in OR
Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: *** eBay Users' Stamp Club *** Meeting 25-28 May: “By the numbers”, Military

A 7-cent solo prexie used on 3rd class, insured mail.  It is "within issue period" because the 7-cent Wilson (Liberty series) wasn't issued until 10 Jan 1956.

7¢.jpg

Message 16 of 71
latest reply

Re: *** eBay Users' Stamp Club *** Meeting 25-28 May: “By the numbers”, Military

This stamp from Labuan is a provisional from 1880, surcharged 8 on the 12 cent definitive from 1880, and with the 12 obliterated with red.

Best regards,

dkru

Message 17 of 71
latest reply

The next post should rightly go to Paperhistory's daughter'.s exhibit on the 8.4c Americana piano coil. Google and you will find it on Richard Frajola's TPR16 pages.

Message 18 of 71
latest reply

Sheryll...

Do you have Matt's email address, because I don't?  Maybe you (or someone) could let him know?  That would be a great thing to see.

Message 19 of 71
latest reply

So what is the first 6c US stamp?  I only see 6c postal stationery being issued earlier.

Rich
Message 20 of 71
latest reply

jaywild - I have sent him an email. You can google and find the exhibit as well.

Message 21 of 71
latest reply

Mr. Wong, I assume you are referring to the Stamped Envelopes that were printed by George F. Nesbitt & Company, New York, New York 1853-1855.  Which was 14 years before the other 6 cent preported to be the first U.S.A. issued/used.

Well done sir, research is so much fun.

David Thompson

MSGT/USAF/Retired

Message 22 of 71
latest reply

And yes, 8.4 is the Americana series coil stamp featuring a Steinway piano.  My daughter exhibits this; she won the grand at the APS show in Portland, showed in the youth champion of champions in Richmond, won the youth grand at ROPEX last weekend, and will show again in the youth CofC in Columbus in August.

Last year's version of the exhibit is at http://www.rfrajola.com/RLiebson1/RLiebson1.htm

Message 23 of 71
latest reply

Thanks Matt.  Nice to see a young person actively interested in philately.

Message 24 of 71
latest reply

For 9, I offer the 1894 Empress Dowager 9 candareen stamp.

Rich
Message 25 of 71
latest reply

For 10 I offer the 10 cent block of the GV Silver Jubilee from Hong KongSG135-block.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 26 of 71
latest reply

Cover to commemorate Fasching? (Carnival)

In some parts of Germany, Carnival starts at 11.11 at 11.11am.

Germania cover posted at Hamburg #11 post office at 11.11.11 between 11 and 12noon.

ger-cv-germania_11-11-11_hamburg11_032.jpg

Message 27 of 71
latest reply

12 July 1863 - 12 centimes rate.

Local printed matter 2 centimes, plus 10 centimes to collect under 10 francs. Total - 12 centimes.

This an official letter which was refused by the addressee.

Message 28 of 71
latest reply

The Germans seemed to be into these dates. Here is a 12.12.12 12Noon-1PM Germania postal card from Berlin#12, canceled but unaddressed.121212  germany_germania_2x5_no_addressee__012.jpg

Message 29 of 71
latest reply

12 and a half Dutch cents anyone?

neth1921postkart12half.jpg

Message 30 of 71
latest reply