cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's see your latest pickups!

Let's see if i can figure this board out now.

These are always popular threads on other boards, so....

Let's see your lates acquisitions.

I just got these in the mail the other day.

First is the small numeral version of the 5ö green from 1882 (scott #35). I actually fund it unexpectedly in a small lot of Denmark I won, so I was happy. It's my first one of these.

Second is the 4ö slate and ultra (Scott #26b)

denmark.jpg

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Let's see your latest pickups!

These are some covers using the July 1, 1971 USPS cachet signed by various Postmasters, Asistant Postmasters and other postal officials.  I also do have some signed by Postmasters and other Postal Officials on july 1, 1971 when the United States Post Office Department became the United States Postal Service.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Good deal on the small numbers 5 Øre... Watch for the small numbers 10 Øre as well, it's not called out except in small print in Scott. It's the result of redoing one of the later plates with dies from the postal card and quite tough to find. Also it's possible to find the 20 Øre se-tenant with both small and large numbers.

The bicolor looks like one of the thick frames, I'd have to check Facit to see if it's slate or gray...

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

One thing I've noticed about the small number arms issues, at least for the 5ö and 20ö, is that the colors seem to me to be duller compared to the common issues. Maybe I just haven't seen enough yet, but looking at listings on ebay whenever I see small number 5ö, especially if there is a common stamp next to it, the color seems a lot duller, or lighter. Same goes for the few 20ö issues I've ran across on ebay. I haven't seen any of the 10ö's aas of yet. but you can bet I check every one I come across in the lots I buy.

As for the 4ö ultra, I actually bought it as a 26b (slate) and not 26c (gray), so hppefully it is correct. It wasn't expensive either way though, so I'm not too worried about it.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

IMG_20150903_0003.jpg

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

I picked up some nice things at NTSS a month ago. This cover was one. I lotted it up yesterday and it sold overnight.

mexico-cv-slp1957a020small.jpg

Mexico 1963 Registered Airmail Special Delivery Cover San Luis Potosi to Temple, Texas

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I am hoping that the sales of the covers will cover the cost of these Austrian stamps, which I plan to use in an exhibit next year at the main library in Portland.

P1080981_levels_sharp_crop_small.jpg

P.S. This is all Anne's fault!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

This comes from a lot of Denmark stamps I recently picked up.

20ö "broken circle" variety. Not listed in Scott, but is isted in Facit.

If you look closely you will see the outer circle, above the 0 of the large 20 on the right hand side, is missing a good chunk of the line. Bummer about the clipped perfs on the bottom though.

denmark1.jpg

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Oh boy! I love mail days!

Just a few things to add to my Sweden and Denmark collections.

denmark2.jpg

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

What's the focus of the exhibit?

the main library was one of my favorite places growing up.  There used to be a stamp store across the street.

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Ooo, inverted frame on the 3 øre. 🙂
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Right you are Bill, I've found quite a few of the inverted frames amongst my stash of bi-colors as well.

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Anne, I want to show post-WWI Austrian inflation, and use the stamps as data points on a graph of the inland letter rate changes 1921-23 (and maybe 1924). I have a lot of nice covers and it was my original intention to showcase those.

Now, reading about German inflation, I want to show that too. Esp as I recently found the stamps in my Oddities folder.

I don't have covers though, but a stamp club member does!

I also want to show some US letters from the same period as a comparison, but as yet don't know how it will fit in the case.

This is a daunting exhibit for me, as it is not my field, there is more than one sub-topic and the glass case it is to go in has mounting complexities.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

Here's something interestig I just got in the mail. It's a 20ö blue from Denmark with a cancellation from Helsingborg, Sweden (I think).denmark2.jpg

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Another cool pickup for my Denmark collection. This is the 20ö with small numerals, to go along with the 5ö I poted earlier. Facit lists 2 shades for this: dull ultramarine-milky blue & greenish dull blue. This one appears to be the latter.

denmark3.jpg

Message 15 of 22
latest reply