cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have some German stamps and I'm lost.

Hello all. I hope I am in the right place. And I hope this post is not considered wrong to do. If so I'm sorry. I just need some advice.

First I don't expect anyone to train me as I know nothing about stamps. And I am not exactly asking the worth although if anyone sees something good I would be grateful for any info. I do not mind doing the research but it isn't going that well.

Some of these were in my grandfathers World War II chest with his medals. They were just stuck in and envelope with one of his letters from over seas. The others I won in an action for pennies. My questions are about where to go from here. I have been able to find a few on websites but not knowing anything about condition I'm still lost. I really doubt they are worth much if anything. Except for one that that I'll mention below. Some are used and some are not.

Do any of you know where to send a beginner? Is there a website that could teach me about condition and the other things I need to know about these?

One stamp that may or may not be of worth is the 1945 Feldpost, Leros with the plane. It is on the right. On some sites they are worth a few bucks and on others much more. Also the one with the Lady in the hat (under the plane stamp) is interesting but I cannot find it anywhere because I don't know what is is called. And one more question. The one with the church?? Is that a church? That one is driving me nuts. I can't tell what kind building it is.

I thank you in advance for anything you can tell me. Like I said I don't mind doing the work but I am not a stamp collector and just need a little push towards beginner info.

001.jpg

*~~* Valley *~~*
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: I have some German stamps and I'm lost.

You initial hunch is correct - none of these stamps are worth more than a penny or two. The catalog value for the blue LUFTFELDPOST stamp is the minimum catalog - 20 cents. The lady with the hat stamp is a local - again worth only pennies.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Thank you very much. You have saved me so much time. I will store them away and keep them. It's nice knowing that my Grandfather kept them for whatever reason. Funny thing is I have seen letters like his sale here on ebay. In them he tells of the battle fields and locations. Plus of his love and longing for my Granny. But I will not part with them either. I really appreciate your response. I guess I have more keepskes. Which is just fine. Have a great night.

Valley.

*~~* Valley *~~*
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Hi,

Glad to help. Sometimes (not always, of course) stamps on the full original envelope are worth more than loose stamps.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You have quite a collection there.  Not all of them are from WWII.  

For example

1.  There is a 10 Pfg stamp of Theodor Heuss - Deutsche Bundespost. This stamp is post WWII from the German Federal Republic a.k.a. West Germany

2.  There is a stamp - Berlin Tempelhof - Deutsche Post.  This stamp is from Berlin right after WWII.  The city and state of Berlin issued its own stamps from 1945 until the reunification.

3.  There are two stamps from the German Democratic Republic of Germany a.k.a. DDR a.k.a East Germany.  They are

50 - Karl Marx

60 - Hegel

4.  You have several stamps that only have ciphers and the word "Millionen"  These are from the Weimar Republic in the twenties.

Hope this helps.  

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

It does. Thank you both.

I'm guessing the ones not from the war are the ones I got in an acution. But now I have mixed them up. Since they have little worth I think I will research each one and print out the info on them. Then put them in a book with the print out of where and when they came from. That way when I'm gone my kids can have them with that info already with them. Who knows they may increase in value by then.

*~~* Valley *~~*
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi Again,

You can get information o0n the specific stamps from the Scott "Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue" which can be found in many larger public libraries. The "catalogue" is published annually and now runs to (I think) 8 volumes. But if the local library doesn't have the latest ones, not to worry. The information will be the same. I still use a set from 2001 (when it was only 6 volumes).

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you again. I will call Birmingham Library and see if they have it. I must go there soon anyway.

*~~* Valley *~~*
Message 8 of 8
latest reply