cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The all new 100% upgraded Park Cooking Thread

Since the soapbox is coming to an end soon, my friends on our cooking thread that sin started asked that I start a new one over here. So here I am!

Everyone feel free to join in and post your favorite recipes or questions or even stuff in daily life!

I'll start with a recipe I made up when I had round steak thawed out but I didn't want the hassle of making chicken fried steak.

I cut the round steak in 4 manageable pieces. Placed in a 9 X 13 baking pan and sprinkled a package of au jus gravy mix over top, then I put 4 table spoons of butter, one on each piece. I baked it in the oven, preheated to 350°, for about 45 mins. Turned out very well, but the Plumber (my husband) said I needed to cook it at a lower temp for a bit longer, so if I do this again, I'll go 325 and an hour or an hour and 15 mins. I served with mashed potatoes and gravy I made with the pan drippings and green beans. 

Mom came over last nite with pork steaks so the Plumber grilled them up and brushed them with Blues Hog BBQ Sauce. She made her (gross) creamed (she means snot) peas and potatoes. The Plumber loved them, I still they look like peas in snot! I made broccoli cheddar rice to have instead of the peas and snot!

I hope to see everyone here soon! 🙂

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 1 of 748
latest reply
747 REPLIES 747

Re: The all new 100% upgraded Park Cooking Thread

Shrimp scampi tonight and leftover Korean taco meat (pork kabob meat)   Not quite surf and turf, but it will have to do.   Also for a veggie; asparagus.   Got to have rice for the scampi.  Making little side dish lettuce salads.   And then, the best part!!!........OLD FASHIONED SOURDOUGH DONUTS!!!!

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 721 of 748
latest reply

I got ambitous & made another "poke cake" from the recipe book from the library........Coffee Liqueur & Cream Cake. Uses dark chocolate cake mix, whole milk (in place of the water in the cake mix), vanilla instant pudding mix, heavy cream.....& a 1/4 cup of Kahl`ua. And then......there's the whipped cream topping.

I've got to get this book back to the library.....while my clothes still fit.😒

Dinner tonight is baked Greek seasoned chicken thigh with some small yellow potatoes baked with the chicken, green beans & (maybe) a small salad.

Message 722 of 748
latest reply

Now that poke cake sounds fantastic!!  Ho boy!   The Greek seasoned chicken thighs baked with those little yellow spuds sounds pretty good too!  Bon appetit! 

Music touches every key of memory, and stirs all the hidden springs of sorrow and joy; we love it for what it makes us forget, and for what it makes us remember.~~L.E. Landon
Message 723 of 748
latest reply

I still haven't made the first poke cake, Fruit! LMAO It's hot here, and I don't wanna use the oven if I don't have too. But we're cooling off on Wednesday and staying cooled down over the weekend (no camping) so maybe I'll get ambitious and make it this weekend! LMAO

I might do (not Greek cuz the Plumber won't eat it) but my chicken in the middle which is chicken breasts in the middle of the pan, taters on one side and frozen green beans on the other (they hold up well to the baking). It's fairly easy but not quick. On the other hand it's nice out and we have a couple of pork steaks in the freezer. that sounds like a better plan! LMAO

Hot freight...pays good...Inline's gots ta go...whoop & ride, Honey, whoop & ride...Clark T Berendes 2-5-78 to 7-5-10
Message 724 of 748
latest reply

I'm "tidying up the freezer" (a polite way to say a bunch of stuff launched itself when I opened the door😒)....so dinner tonight will be tortellini/vegetable salad. That will get rid of several frozen item bags that have miniscule amounts, as well as the "bits" in the veggie crisper.

I mowed the lawn over the last 2 days, before we got another round of rain. At least now it looks like someone may live here.

At least on the outside.🙄

Message 725 of 748
latest reply

So far, I'm proud to say, that my deep freezer is not becoming a mess of craziness...yet! LMAO (we won't talk about the upright or the the other three fridge/freezers I've got. tho the one in the house has leftover easter ham and ice and that's it!)

Did tuna noodle casserole last nite, it was pretty good! 

Not sure about tonite. I'm sure the Plumber will think of something. HAHAHAHAHA

Message 726 of 748
latest reply

Beef and broccoli stir fry over saffron rice. 

DH brought home a couple of cupcakes from work that were 'poke' cupcakes.....strawberry flavor. 

Message 727 of 748
latest reply

I made spaghetti on Wednesday nite. Then we came uptown last nite (drawing was a rollover).

Going to have the leftover Tuna Noodle tonite and tomorrow nite I'm planning on making scalloped potatoes with ham (from mom's easter ham) and asparagus fresh from mom's garden!

The beef/broccoli stir fry sounds yummy, but it's hard to get the plumber to eat something like that. Especially if it's over rice and not noodles I could eat rice everyday!

Message 728 of 748
latest reply

Still have leftover beef and broccoli; rice.  Going to add a cabbage stir-fry recipe I found in my Chinese cookbook.   I saute the cabbage cut into 1.5 in. pieces, season however I want, add a bit of chic broth and ketchup and green onion.  Use cornstarch mix to thicken.  Probably left something out writing this 😂  Sometimes I will add a few red pepper flakes. 

Message 729 of 748
latest reply

Hola Shirl...!  About 3 weeks pasado el Heron 'found' a family size bag of frozen broccoli in the freezer.  The 'date code' stated 'Best if used by Nov 2023'.   Heron put all the frozen broccoli in the 2 quart saucepan.  Got it to boiling.  Taste tested as time progressed.  After about 9 minutes the broccoli was ready to consume.  It was good.  Heron ate the entire amount.  Put some cooking oil onnit before consuming.  Heron did not get sick (as of 19 April '24).   (Heron once consumed a can of blueberries that was THREE YEARS beyond the 'best by' date.  Mrs Heron said it would make Heron sick or dead.  Neither even occurred.

Although, the blueberries were very 'soggy' and about falling apart).

Message 730 of 748
latest reply

Heron, I am one to not get overly concerned about expiration dates.  We have consumed some out of date stuff and have yet to this day, get sick.  I know there's been stuff 3-4 years past😲😂.  If I open something though and I hear a pssst sound, then I won't use it.  A can that has rounded top and bottom had better go straight to trash can.  

Message 731 of 748
latest reply

You got that absolutamente correcto!  A 'puffy' can is an instant throw-away...for sure!   Also if a can is leaking. Although Heron has not seen one a those in years.  The can manufacturers have improved their machine capabilities. (Heron once toured a can making factory near Stocktown California.  It was a truly interesting 2 hours.  Cans moving on conveyor belts to all destinations in the factory).  (Heron was there to test and inspect a suspected motor problem.  There was indeed a motor problem and the motor repair shop where Heron worked got the re-build.  It was a 150 HP motor, and those are not 'lightweights'.  Heron was working on 'commissions only' at that time. Ten % of sales to Heron's customers.  An interesting time period for el Heron).  Heron noticed that you mentioned the Indian Ocean.  Was that a military station?  Was the water warm for swimming?  Questions abound. 

Message 732 of 748
latest reply

.....After consuming a "family size" bag of frozen broccoli at one meal...that pssst sound may not be a can.😉

Message 733 of 748
latest reply

Yes, Heron, it was a military location. 

Message 734 of 748
latest reply

@fruitflogger wrote:

.....After consuming a "family size" bag of frozen broccoli at one meal...that pssst sound may not be a can.😉

runscream.gif

Message 735 of 748
latest reply