cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

Last night I received a disturbing Paypal payment, it was definately different. The email said in part...
"You've received a payment....blah blah blah... We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction...blah blah blah....We’ll release the hold in 21 days..."

The email further states that Paypal/eBay MAY release the funds early if:
1. The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
2. We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.

The email also instructed me to SHIP the item right away.

No. 1: I don't need eBay or Paypal to advise me on something I already do very well. Although we are relatively new at this, we have STELLAR Rating of 100%.

No. 2: A 21 Day Hold on our money is B.S! Its OUR money. But of course this maneuver allows Ebay & Paypal to significantly increase revenue by reaping (raping) the interest on millions of dollars.

I too want eBay to be a safe and trusted shopping venue, but this punishes those of us who follow the rules. It should be implemented on only those who are failing to provide quality customer service.

I also noticed the sneakiness involved. This was not widely broadcast in advance (I don't recall hear/reading anything about it) and It was implemented on a Friday afternoon. I sure hope everyone raises 2 colors of hell about this. Lodge a Formal Complaint.

Uncle Fred
Message 1 of 365
latest reply
364 REPLIES 364

Re: eBay-Paypal's New 21-Day Hold on Funds

This statement is incorrect.

I have 145 transactions and 100% positive feedback, including good feedback from a sale that concluded two weeks ago.  Payment for that item was immediate throughPaypal and I still don't have access to the funds.  Since the item (a jukebox) was local pickup there is no shipping information to provide.  

I'm not a vendor, just an occasional buyer/seller, and I will go out of my way to avoid Paypal in the future.

Message 91 of 365
latest reply

You are an example of exactly what I am talking about. You have a total of 3 feedbacks this year.  The items you purchased total less than $15.00 for all three.  My bill this month from eBay for their fees is over $550.00.  If you were trying to join a fraternity most give you a probation period so you can get to understand how their fraternity operates or - if you get a new job don't you  have a 3 - 6 month - sometimes as much as a year - probation period? This way the company can find out more about you. During this time period you can't do stupid stuff...its a learning process.  It kind of reminds me of the person who wanted to be a monk.  Upon joining the monastery they were told they were not allowed to speak for one full year after which time they could speak two words.  At that time, after one year, he was asked to speak his two words.  He said 'bed hard'.  At the end of the second year, he was asked his input for that time, which he said 'food cold'.  At the end of the third year, again he was asked for his input at which time he stated 'I quit!" and the Monk said "It is about time - all you've done since you've been here is complain."  I hope to God you understand this as I am not saying you do not deserve a chance - i am simply saying that I don't believe you should be allowed to create major problems for others because of your lack of knowledge. I wish you the best in life...

Message 92 of 365
latest reply

You are an example of exactly what I am talking about. You have a total of 3 feedbacks this year.  The items you purchased total less than $15.00 for all three.  My bill this month from eBay for their fees is over $550.00.  If you were trying to join a fraternity most give you a probation period so you can get to understand how their fraternity operates or - if you get a new job don't you  have a 3 - 6 month - sometimes as much as a year - probation period? This way the company can find out more about you. During this time period you can't do stupid stuff...its a learning process.  It kind of reminds me of the person who wanted to be a monk.  Upon joining the monastery they were told they were not allowed to speak for one full year after which time they could speak two words.  At that time, after one year, he was asked to speak his two words.  He said 'bed hard'.  At the end of the second year, he was asked his input for that time, which he said 'food cold'.  At the end of the third year, again he was asked for his input at which time he stated 'I quit!" and the Monk said "It is about time - all you've done since you've been here is complain."  I hope to God you understand this as I am not saying you do not deserve a chance - i am simply saying that I don't believe you should be allowed to create major problems for others because of your lack of knowledge. I wish you the best in life...

Message 93 of 365
latest reply

I just got hit with this 21 day hit from ebay... I am done with them. They are driving off the good people and keeping the crooks... Done,,,Done.....Done... with EBAY

Message 94 of 365
latest reply

@billyc2477 wrote:

I just got hit with this 21 day hit from ebay... I am done with them. They are driving off the good people and keeping the crooks... Done,,,Done.....Done... with EBAY

Please be sure to blog about this OUTSIDE of ebay, and of course tell friends, neighbors, coworkers, your postman, and anyone else who will listen. Only through public awareness and focused public outrage will a stop ever be put to this type of thing.

Message 95 of 365
latest reply

TRIPLE COW PUKY!  I HAVE OVER 60,000  FEEDBACKS ON MY OTHERS SELLER ID'S AND THEY WANT TO HOLD MY FUNDS ON A NEW SELLER ID FOR 21 DAYS???  HELLO  .. HEY EBAY ARE YOU LISTENING!! TRIPLE BULL PUCKY!!@!

Message 96 of 365
latest reply

I have one question, WHO IS PAYING INTEREST ON THE MONEY THAT EBAY/PAYPAL IS WITHHOLDING???????????  That, in and of itself is something to be investigated?  Sure, the small print says they can hold our money BUT shouldn't they then pay us back the interest they're collecting on it???  There's something to be said for that, no?  In the last 2 weeks alone, they've withheld over $800 of my money, hmmmm. I can't possibly be the only one thinking there's something quite self-serving about that.  Especially because they are claiming they're withholding it while we "build our selling history"????  Hello?  I've been an Ebay seller for over 5 years.  What history?  Are they kidding?  Are we all that stupid???  Something HAS TO BE DONE ABOUT THIS!!!!

Message 97 of 365
latest reply

Uncle Fred....You're spot on right.  I've been waiting for over 10 days for my money.  In the auctioneer business the fudciary responsibility is to the Seller and not the Buyer...The buyer pays a 10% buyer's premium....

Ebay and Paypal's new "floating or parking of funds" is the 4th demension of making money.  They get Seller fees, buyer's fees park your money in a holding/clearing house collect interest on the money again.  The most annoying is waiting for PayPal that sends your money, yes to another clearing house, where they do the same thing.  It's insulting.  I will be closing my accounts with both of these firms once I receive my payment.  

P.S. I refunded a good sale on one of my items so I wouldn't have to do this and to reduce ebay and paypals PLUNDERING of my money.  

Message 98 of 365
latest reply

Uncle Fred....You're spot on right.  I've been waiting for over 10 days for my money.  In the auctioneer business the fiduciary responsibility is to the Seller and not the Buyer...The buyer pays a 10% buyer's premium....

Ebay and Paypal's new floating or parking of funds is the 4th dimension of making money.  They get Seller fees, buyer's fees park your money in a holding/clearing house collect interest on the money again.  The most annoying is waiting for PayPal that sends your money, yes to another clearing house, where they do the same thing.  It's insulting.  I will be closing my accounts with both of these firms once I receive my payment.  

P.S. I refunded a good sale on one of my items so I wouldn't have to do this and to reduce ebay and paypals PLUNDERING of my money.  

Message 99 of 365
latest reply

I TOTALLY agree with everything you said. It seems that every year eBay becomes more and more aware of their pseudo-MONOPOLY they have in the online auction business (if you want massive exposure to potential buyers).

I am SICK and TIRED of the STRANGLEHOLD eBay has on us sellers and even more sick and tired of the fact they obviously must be well aware of it, because of these unfair, rediculous, unethical, stupid, unnannounced, anger provoking actions they keep coming up with to make us sellers seem like we are nothing but $ to eBay and they seem to constantly be thinking of new ways to help dishonest buyers screw us, or to make extra money of us by holding our funds and making good interest while holding OUR money, with NO justification for treating us this way other than their GREED that seems to increase with each passing year.
I am a seller that has been with eBay since THE BEGINNING.. Over 13 years I have been selling on eBay and have a 100% PERFECT feedback rating and never has anyone had any problems with me.. THIS Fact should exempt people like me from this latest blow to the respect we deserve, but eBay does not care about Fair, they only care about satisfying their never ending GREED!
It seems it is the SELLERS they target most often to push around because they know there is NOTHING we can do about it, except to take it on the chin. It makes me DESPISE them because it is a terrible feeling to be taken advantage of just because you are vulnerable to their power and monopoly in the situation. I would LOVE to see congress come up with some kind of bill breaking up their monopoly, which is not technically a monopoly, but look at their market share, and you can see we have no alternative but to take their abuse, and the sad fact is that eBay is well aware they would have do something huge and horrible before we will move to another auction site because of their market share that makes them the only viable place for us to sell.

They do just enough at a time to keep us from becoming angry enough to all leave at once. They stay right there on the edge, treating us badly and abusing their Power, but only just enough so that we will keep taking their abuse. I can only hope that one day their greed will continue to grow on such a massive scale that they will make the mistake of REALLY doing something agregious enough to make all sellers rise up and refuse to take it anymore! I would LOVE to see us ALL leave to another site together such that eBay becomes the betamax of online auction sites in the near future. THEN they will realize their GREED was so insatiable that they mistreated and abused us, the sellers, the people that helped them to build the abusive empire they have become. I can only pray that one day they will learn the lesson to not bite the hand that feeds them. But the only way that will happen is if we could all organize and leave them high and dry and somehow see my dream come true of a worldwide boycott of eBay because of their constant GREEDY ABUSE to those of us who do NOT deserve to be treated in such a manner as we have been subjected to. It seems every year they come up with something new to screw us, to make life harder on us, but just enough so we will continue to take it laying down. I pray their greed will cause them to make the mistake of going too far one day, such that we organize and finally decide we WILL TAKE NO MORE OF THEIR ABUSE!

eBay SUCKS and I hate them, but I have no choice but to keep supporting them and selling on their site, because where else am I gonna go? To another auction site that has such a small market share that I might as well not even bother selling at all anymore? eBay knows this and they take advantage of us with this knowledge and power.

They need to fix their stupid "FIVE STAR" rating system that causes us to have to explain to every new customer that it is not like a NORMAL scale that anything less than 5 stars is BAD... because most normal people would think 4 is good and 5 is excellent.

I hated that stupidity of eBay when they came out with the method of how the number of stars affects us sellers... until they came out with this holding our money with no warning beforehand, and no excuse or rationale to it when they do it to a seller with a 13 year PERFECT reputation, other than the fact that they are OBVIOUSLY only doing this to us so they can FEED their GREED by making TONS of money off the INTEREST of the MILLIONS of OUR dollars they are holding with NO justification whatsoever.. other than to fill their greedy pockets with the interest they are making on OUR money. I say Phoey on eBay and their unethical treatment of us sellers that have been with them for so long, who they care nothig about... they even have the attitude that seems to infer they could care less if I leave or stay, and it shows... that is what is really aggrivating, is their attitude towards the individual seller like me... as if to say, "Take it and like it sucker.... or you can always just stop using our services, we dont need you, as you are just one of billions, and we will never miss you"

Their is only power in numbers and I long for the day when they go too far, far enough to cause us ALL to rise up, organize, and bring them down to where they belong!

eBay sellers UNITE! They are nothing without us.. but only without ALL of us!

Please someone figure out how to organize and strike back at their greedy corporate unjust practices!!!

eBay Sellers Unite! Down with eBay!   In my dreams 😞

Until then I will continue to let them push me around and take advantage of me, because I have no choice.

eBay sucks for taking advantage of this fact.

eBay Sellers Unite! Down with eBay!

Message 100 of 365
latest reply

Deals off im not shipping one item until im paid for it , no holds ...ebay you can explain this to the buyers who by the way sent a n

Message to me saying moments after auction closed" you got paid now ship my item"  im sorry this is not the ebay that I knew six years ago  ....I just started selleing again this week. But im done!!!  Its bad enough I lost hundreds of dollars because of low bids..   as it was I was giving Iit away, and thats ok thats an auction ,,, but im not going to stand for not being paid.. thats not the way it works  and its goingbto be the downfall ofvwhat was a great co... who do I contact to let them know there going to have some unhappy buyers  but thats not my problem  I keep my word when im paid I ship ... so ebay make certain the buyers

Who have paid you wont be reciving anything of mine until im paid ..that makes good business ..and we all should as sellers stand together...this is a big mistake ebay so handle my customers I dont time to waste cleaning up your mess..

im not even going to waste my time spell checking im **bleep** 

away 

Message 101 of 365
latest reply

Wow, just got this for the first time.  Total B.S.  I won't be selling using Ebay/Paypal anymore either.  I thought their fees were atrocious enough.  Now this?  F.U.

Why aren’t my funds available as soon as my buyers pay?

Here are the most common reasons why:

• You have a Below Standard seller rating on eBay
  • You have a limited selling history on eBay, which means that any of the following are true:
    1. It’s been 90 days or less since your first successful sale on eBay, or
    2. You’ve made 25 or fewer sales transactions on eBay, or
    3. You’ve sold $250 or less on eBay
  • We believe there may be a high level of risk associated with your account or your transactions. This can include risk that your account will have a higher number of eBay Buyer Protection cases, PayPal disputes, PayPal claims, buyer chargebacks or other reversals.

What can I do to help get my funds more quickly?

Typically, you’ll get funds in 21 days – even sooner if you follow good shipping practices:

• If you print shipping labels through eBay or PayPal, funds should be available 3 days after we can confirm that the order was delivered. Your tracking information uploads automatically, and you’ll get funds to help cover shipping, too.*
  • If you ship directly using USPS, UPS or FedEx and manually enter shipment tracking information on eBay or the PayPal Transaction Details page, funds should be available 3 days after we can confirm that the order was delivered.
  • If you mark the item as shipped in My eBay but don’t upload tracking information, funds should be available 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date OR
  • If you don’t provide tracking information, mark the item as shipped, or the estimated delivery date cannot be calculated, funds should be available in 21 days.

Please keep in mind that it may take longer to get funds if your buyer reports a problem.

At what point will my funds be available as soon as my buyers pay?

The best ways to get funds immediately are to establish a successful history of selling on eBay and achieve and maintain eBay’sStandard, Above Standard or eBay Top-rated seller status by consistently satisfying your customers.

In most cases, eBay sellers with an established selling history and Standard or Above Standard performance rating in their eBay seller dashboard, or who are eBay Top-rated sellers, aren’t affected and will receive funds when a buyer pays.

Message 102 of 365
latest reply

Could not agree more!!!!!!! Is it even legal to hold our funds???? Ebay is quickly becoming a poor choice. I will be personally selling my stocks before this arrogant company falls............

Message 103 of 365
latest reply

WHAT A COMPLETE FRAUD EBAY HAS BECOME!!!

I've been selling. and buying on and off since the 90's. This 21day fraud just happened to me the first time. To items listed on the uk site no less (so not even consistent with what ebay/Paypal themselves claim).

What this blatant fraud does, it it forces to ship even small items with tracking-number, so suddenly shipping costs me 35euros for a pair of 35 euro sunglasses for which I cannot havr shipping-charges higher than 7euros. Yup, no more ebay for me

and so ends an era

What a bunch of crooks!!!
Message 104 of 365
latest reply

This is a joke!  It used to be as soon as a buyer would pay you can immediately transfer the funds to your bank account.  Not anymore.  This sux!

Message 105 of 365
latest reply