cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diatribe from seller trying to correct

I suppose I just shouldn't bother, but I sent a few sellers a few corrections recently. Everyone was kind in taking the criticism except for wjl60714 on listing http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300847725663&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 A nineteenth century German Selenus set advertised as a 1950s Siamese set.

Here is wj's response:

Dear ne0romantic,

dear delusional neOromantic ?

profuse apologies for my delay in responding to your poser manifesto of ignorance ? you are so full of it your eyes must be brown ?

since I am not certified to aid the mentally disabled, I would have preferred to ignore you, but ebay likes us to respond to wannabe cyber bullies like you ?

you admit to never having seen a Siamese chess set, but you do not believe this to be one ? you ?believe? they are sets with animals and people ? how quaint that conventional European sets have elephants, horses, knights, bishops, etc

no one cares what your ?believe? ? in this country there is freedom of religion for even the most crassly ignorant ?

are you medicated or does the truth come to you when you take the aluminum foil off your head ?

on the other hand, I have shipped to satisfied and even delighted customers in Thailand objects made in Siam ? a distinction beyond your comprehension ?

a very small indication of your vast ignorance is your reference to 1850 Germany ? as any high school student of history will attest in 1850 there was no Germany ? there were Prussia, Bohemia, Thuringia, Bavaria, etc ? all anonymous remnants of the Holy Roman Empire ? no Germany ?

your ignorance is surpassed only by your unbridled arrogance ?

happy ebaying!

I hope you get everything you deserve!

But, first, get a life!

- wjl60714

"

So possibly he's right, I should "get a life" ... My girlfriend is currently overseas and I have let the chess collecting possibly take up too much of my time lately. But I'm just so amazed at the seller's ungrateful abusive response when he could have simply looked it up and realized his mistake I had to post here. I don't know. I guess I'd appreciate a bit of back up, maybe if more than one eBay informs this seller what he's selling he'll take the hint. Maybe it's not worth dealing with such stubborn people at all. Goodnight.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: diatribe from seller trying to correct

Hi, Ty.

I am going to TRY to explain, in my nearly always roundabout way, different possibilities here, and answer your question. Well, at least I will speculate after my usual digression. I have no doubt that I have already lost any possible viewers/readers right here. But I see that you seem to try in earnest to ask questions, bring to other various chess related items, etc. So, I think you deserve some feedback.

As I think you may know by now, I am probably as interested - if not moreso - in human interacton (and all that goes along with that when it comes to differences in cultural, generational, socio-econimic status, personal develomental stages, etc. etc. etc.) as I am in chess collecting. Regardless and however, that should really come as no surprise, since the phenomenon of chess collecting is merely a reflection of the human condition. Human nature does not change just because the focus is on chess sets.  

I know of a number of people (including, I hate to admit it, myself) who (at least at times) I display behavior that - for whatever reason - displeases or irritates others. Sometimes, one's perspective on things is "right on"... sometimes the perspective is partially accurate, and sometimes, it is way off base.

I have known folks - both in this group and outside this group - who can display some unappealing behavior towards others. Again, I can claim guilt on that too. Sometimes, interestingly enough, the motivation for certain behavior is even known by "offender".

But also, sometimes, folks may be oblivious, ignorant, forgetful or denying of their own motivation for how and why they express themselves. They may not even be aware of their behavior.

So, what might some of these supposedly unappealing characteristics be?

1.) Having an opinion about everything (even when the person may not really know what they are talking about.)

2.) Seemingly intruding into the flow of conversation that others are having.   

3.) Expressing oneself in such a manner that one may come across as arrogant.

4.) Feeling an obligation (or a complusion) to either correct everything deemed to be faulty or incorrect. (Examples: policing the airwaves; expressing what is "research" and what is not; questioning the expertise of apparently self-proclaimed "experts".)

5.) Having what initially seems to be a HUGE EGO - but in reality - having a very poor ego and sense of self. Such folks can never or seldom admit error or mistakes or (that which makes us human) imperfection. (Just how many times have you seen sincere apologies from anyone, over the many years, in any of these ebay CC threads? How many times might you have seen, "I was/am wrong"? One could probably count them on one hand.

"Good" traits and "Bad" traits can sometimes be easily seen in sellers, buyers, collectors,etc. (and frankly, in folks of all levels of intelligence, education, and socio-econimic levels.)

The seller you quoted may well be an angry, defensive, and arrogant person himself. But what I would also be interested in seeing is exactly HOW you brought to his attention the issue of style, origin, and age. I suspect that this particular seller may have, himself, been the victim of bullying sometime in his own life (and is sensitive about even constructive criticism, as well expressed as it might be), But it is also possible that the manner in which you came across may have easily elicited his reaction. I doubt if that is the situation here, but before I email this seller (to back you up), I would like to actually see what and how you wrote to him.

Thanks for your patience, Ty, in reading this longwinded (and possibly sermonizing) message!

John (of Vermont).         

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Yes, John, fair enough. It was not not my best personal interaction ever.

"Ok this description is pretty hilarious. It appears someone at some point was just making #@$ up. What you have is a German chess set from closer to 1850 than 1950. I believe they play chess in Siam with human and animal figures and sometimes even figures of cars and stuff like in Mongolia or Burma. The sets look nothing at all like Eupean chess sets. Take care."

I said that because the description is really funny with a lot of ^#&$ obviously made up, but obviously in hind sight I could have spoken much better. The was that set a long while back where someone had described a red Mexican set as not only Chinese (as is often done) but gone on to say the colors were a reference to the Reds (Communist China) vs the Whites (America.) When that happened one person who wasn't me actually wrote that the seller was "full of shit" and the seller actually posted that question and response among the others. Maybe I was remembering that and that response a bit when suggested someone has been "making #&$ up" about the set in question. Also I was at work and didn't have a lot of time to write. If I had had better time I wouldn't have missspellled European and I might have done more research about Siam to remember it's Thailand and Makruk sets come from there in addition to the figural ones I was referring to which are more often called "Siamese" http://farm1.static.flickr.com/83/236912007_37997341d0.jpg etc... and also not confused them with Mongolian sets which do have the little cars, etc... also I might have approached the whole thing better. I was rushed when I wrote the email because I don't have a ton of time for that kind of thing.

I still don't think the seller's response was the least bit warranted, especially when it's not hard at all to find out what German set from 1850 looks like thanks to Google. I'll admit I'm stubborn too, have a weakness for for occasional stupid, waste of time, Internet arguments, but personal attacks like this, and a failure to make a simple Google search before launching into them... well I suppose this is turning into "behind his back" bashing of this seller... though I am just stating facts. Anyway that was the whole exchange. You now have both sides.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I guess all I've been using this forum for for quite a while has been showing off new acquisitions and complaining about bad personal experiences buying chess sets. On the one hand maybe my mistakes are good warnings to some, but probably all this reflects badly on me and my people skills. Maybe after people are thinking "what a whiner. I wouldn't want to do business with that guy," when this is a far cry from a true representation me or even my eBay chess collecting experience a whole. It's just that when a sale goes smoothly and there's nothing to complain about it, it's rather uneventful, so not "worth" posting about. Perhaps I've leaned on this group a little hard at times and it's unfair to use you all as a "sounding board" only when I have a problem.

Maybe we should start a thread for good experiences in chess collecting... I would have quite a few more examples of that kind of story than the bad stories... it's just the stories wouldn't be as interesting. Perhaps others have interesting stories of good human interactions in chess collecting.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Well, the seller must have finally been persuaded from somewhere.  The auction has been ended by the seller.

I find the kind of interchanges as described by you rather humorous, though sad.  But the kind of response you describe is over the top.  No matter how badly a person is approached, they have the option of taking the high road.  This seller appears to have chosen a route through a sewer line.

I would think a thread on good experiences would always be welcome.  As you recognized, it is only when people have a bad experience are they more likely to react.  A good experience is more apt to be considered the norm and makes no waves.  Perhaps a few nice peaceful waves gently caressing the shoreline of business would be a good thing.  And now I'm metaphorically leaving.

. . .

If you go with the flow you'll either get washed out to sea or be dammed.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The funniest case I have seen so far. ROFL

Message 6 of 6
latest reply