cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chess sets with Animal themes

(Never enough threads...!) Regardless of material used, this thread is for any chess sets where there is an animal theme (directly or indirectly, and even where one could place some cats!). ;-) Let's start with this one: (Look familiar, Dan of Dwolf?) Animal theme Chess Animal Theme Set Yes, that had been a set up for bid a few years ago! Do you like the toothpick touch? Hardwood. Somewhat modernistic in its appearance, eh? County of Origin? Africa? I do not recall... Would be an interesting game to play in dim light, eh? John. Vermont.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It certainly has an appeal . Nice looking wood . " Those teeth " might sort out a Rat or two . ]:) It must be African unless Lions are creating a few Prides in Vermont country ;} Wolves in the Jungle ? Where is de Wolf John ? ;) Perhaps our esteemed photographer needs to watch a few more U. S. eless documentary programmes or perhaps a reading lesson at his local Zoo sign's might help. ]:) History of the set. King height, purchase price , availability, stability, provinance, original box , personal assessment of the collectable . Are the teeth as sharp as they look ?
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi, Guy (and all). First, thanks for the compliments (looking at just the positive for the moment!) ;-) I think I must keep close watch on those high quality toothpicks (used as ivory trunks) on those elephants in the pictured set. Some folks might be tempted to use them in keeping their eyes open when trudging through the many (too many, overdone, and overwhelming?) messages posted by too many cats and rats on these ebay threads? But to answer you question, I do not know where D Wolf is. Maybe he is just busy with life and other things. I saw him a little while ago on one or more of these threads (in relation to the new Baron's nice plastic sets?) Maybe he is busy with some more interesting postings in some other groups? I really don't know... just all speculation on my part. But I thought that the posting of the animal chess set (on which I had thought he had bid on a couple / few years ago) might pull him back into discussion here. But maybe not. I don't know. I hope he is ok... To answer your other questions about the height of the king, providence, country of origin, etc... that will have to wait (maybe for a really long time). The king's height would not be much work or "serious research" ;-)... all I'd have to do is to go upstairs and measure it. As for for other questions you asked, and "off (with? ;-)) the top of my head"... 1.) The stability of the chess pieces is pretty good. 2.) The purchase price, as I recall, was less than $200, but I think it was worth it, as it is a nicer set than some other carved wooden animal sets I have seen. It is certainly, "in my humble opinion" a better overall set than the mass-produced composite material animal theme sets that crowd Internet chess set websites and even ebay (but I still would not mind one of those composite material animal sets for my birthday...) 3.) Availability: think it is fairly rare, as I have not seen another like this - ever! I have seen similar ones, but not of this specific design, etc. 4.) No box came with the set, but as I recall, a relatively nice carved (animal featured) wooden board came with it. yes. I still have that too, but no pictures (yet.) As for the other aspects, (providence, actual country of origin, etc.,) I really don't know. Ya know, Guy... not all folks are as interested (not only in these mini "discussions" we have on these threads...) but also in each and every minutia about the sets they see or even have. Not everybody is a (so-called) "serious collector". (But listen, while I - hopefully - still have your attention, and to save some time posting on other threads, I do sincerely do appreciate the time you spent on the phone with the museum, etc.) I myself do what I can, given my time constraints, what interests me (and even at times trying to accommodate the wishes/needs/ questions of others - while placing a limit in what I am willing to do...). It's not "all them" and it's not "all me" (though, one could not necessarily tell my the numerous postings I make and despite my longwinded postings...). Sometimes I get on a roll and sometimes I get pretty tired... (Sound, maybe familiar?) And maybe, with that, it is time for me to take a little retreat here... as it seems like there are an awful lot of cats and rats and mice running around like chickens without heads... looking for alligators, elephant ivory, and maybe even some chess sets...! John, VT.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

All: (I sometimes get tired of posting on the Chat thread - imagine that! - so I am posting right here, even though the chess set I am about to mention is not really a "pure" animal chess set.) Take a look at: http://cgi.ebay.com/CHESS-TIGER-HUNTERS-FINE-INDIAN-COLLECTORS-SET-/220638682097?pt=LH_DefaultDomain... While not totally of an animal theme (like the set shown in posting # 1 of this thread... a set which I had, as I recall (if my failing memory does not betray me), won in a little bidding war against my newly found "good friend"(?) Dan Dwolf... ebay set 220638682097 linked above does have two main animals: the elephant and the tiger. Now, what exactly is it about 22063682097 that captures my eyes and imagination? Could it be the action between the people / elephant and the tiger? (The pawns are cute!) Could it be the questionably politically (un?)correct focus on killing a tiger? Could it be the "sale" price that our long lost friend seller Rick (ofricks) (who was also a very good CCI Convention presenter in Princeton, NJ in May 2002)) has on this chess set? I don't know. What do you all think? Hello? Hello? Ok... maybe back to the chat thread... or heaven forbid... the knightly lamenting thread! ;-) John.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

John, This is indeed a fascinating set. It is the first one I have seen where the creator of the set has armed the tiger with a blow pipe and he is doing his level best to kill the hunter with a poisoned dart. I wonder if the poison used is derived from a tree frog? Mick 😉
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hmmmm... Mick. Now, that is really interesting - how you viewed the set! There has GOT to be a lesson in there somewhere. Aside from your clever response, I think it indeed shows "It is a matter of perspective"... (or maybe) "It is all relative"... The seller describes the weapon as a spear. But I agree with you now... it does look like the tiger is using a blowgun! Kudos to the tiger! John.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply