cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Ask For Info On This Vintage Set?

jenndk
Adventurer
15 REPLIES 15

Re Can I Ask For Info On This Vintage Set?

It is a cheap travel set worth about $1. It does not merit a Topic in this group and your posting will be deleted after you have had time to read this.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hello, Jenndk. I agree with Alan cpe1991 that this is a cheap travel set. But there is no reason why you yourself might not like this plastic set - as well as buy it and begin (or supplement) your collection with it. I am not in the position to determine - from any official ebay moderator point of view - as to its merits of deserving near future deletion of your posting. However, I think that Alan may have over estimated its current market value. Maybe 75 cents, (at a lawn or garage sale) is more like it (and that's in USA currency). 😞 John, Vermont.
Message 3 of 16
latest reply

jenndk
Adventurer
It was suggested that this is a vintage practice set because it is syamped with the name "KUBICKI" on the front that it could have belonged to this Polish Chess Player.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
I have a set like that - composite board, plastic pieces, plastic cover - no great shakes. If it belonged to a guy called Kubicki, that does not make it a blue mauritius by any means. Who is Kubicki? If it was at least inscribed Frank Marshall....
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

What is a "practice set" and how can anyone use the description "vintage" when they don't know the age of it? Alan
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

jenndk
Adventurer
Most definately vintage, Wood board with leather case. There is a Polish Chess player named KUBICKI: http://www.fide.com/ratings/card.phtml?event=1126040, just thought you'd like to know.
Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Hi, Alan cpe1991 and all... Alan, I realize that you may have not directed your last question to me, but I am not sure... I suspect that you probably directed it toward jenndk, since you used words that are directly from him. However, (since I cannot for some reason get that partially true "lazy" comment 😉 - from the other Alan (Dewey) out of my mind... dang you, Chessspy... you have now helped develope in me that nasty habit 😉 of "looking it up"...) well, I goolooked it up... as well as reached way back into the recesses of my puny brain... looking for those long lost Antique magazine articles over the years... and was able to confirm the following: Depending on the informational source, as well as what item you are talking about, "vintage" can mean anything from about 35-40 years to close to 100 years. It seems like the usual thinking is about 50 years or older. Although chess boards, chess sets, and the like can be made to look older (as well as have relatively "new" replacement pieces), I would take a guess that jenndk's travel board and set is probably between 30 - 50 years old. So, while there is no guarantee, and due to the relative looseness of the definition, the evolvement of a definition, and the lack of any ironclad definition, this set could well be "vintage". I just base this on the many cheap plastic travel sets I have seen over the years as well as I have in my own mini collection of them. As far as a "practice set", I will leave that answer up to jenndk. John, Vermont. PS: Alan cpe1991... you do realize, don't you... that I get paid by the word... 😉
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

jenndk
Adventurer
Sorry for all the confusion, I really was just look for some insight into these smaller chess sets. this was purchased at an Estate Sale, It is older(vintage) as far as the practice set part, that was suggested to me on one of Ebay's Discussion forums after I listed pics of this set there. The poster said he believed it belonged to this Polish Chess player named Kubicki and that he probably used this as a set to practice on. That's all.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

rascasso
Enthusiast
... Dear jenn, You are going to a lot of trouble for a really worthless item - no Kubicki or vintage ennoblement will ever make this anything but a shabby little set with plastic pieces - in olden days this was called a travel set, to play in a train or analyze games...but suit Yourself..if You want to sell it one bay list it and see what comes... 3 bucks wd be great rascasso
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

John Please read the postings. The vendor in the initial post described the set as "vintage" yet asked what the age was. My post No. 6 points out the lack of logic between the title and the content. Alan
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Hi, Alan (cpe1991). What can I say... you are right. There does seem to be a lack of logic. I understand your pointing out about the seeming discrepancy between - on the one hand, his (jennk's) question about age - and on the other hand, his calling the set "vintage". On first appearance, his question does not seem to make sense. And of course, I cannot speak for him. My assumption was that he was looking for a narrowing down of the age of this set. That is why I winded up trying to have a mini discussion about the meaning of vintage. I cannot pin down the age of this set, but I do believe that it is likely "vintage", in that I believe the set is likely between 30-50 years old (using the term "vintage" in a loose or relatively liberal way). To repeat myself, Alan, I think you are correct! I understand your logic in pointing out the non-logic between the title and the content. I was just trying to be helpful, while at the same time, poking fun at myself and Alan D Chessspy. John, Vermont. PS: Another snowstorm on the way. Wanna help shovel? PPS: I need a twinkling of the eye this early morning. May I have one?
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

John We have, in fact, had very recently a long discussion on the meaning of "vintage" in the s t y l e STAUNTON thread, beginning 31 Dec 2007. Alan
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi, Alan (cpe1991). You are right again, as I see that there was indeed a discussion as to the meaning of the word "vintage", beginning 31 December 2007 on the s t y l e Staunton thread. Thank you for pointing that out to me and reminding me (and I am being sincere about that, regardless of what you might or might not believe.) Since the topic was brought up on this thread (again), I thought I would revisit it and give my thinking and opinion. (Doesn't my opinion and hours of research count?) By the way, my "hours of research" is poking fun at myself again and being said with tongue in cheek - not prescribed pill in cheek... but my question of asking about "doesn't my opinion count?" is meant seriously). If I try to get into a competetion with you, Alan, I know I will lose. But I still have not gotten a twinkling of the eye from you this morning. Are you ok? Again, may I have one? Thanks! John, Vt.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

John I want some discussion on an interesting set, which is completely lacking at present. This 75 cent set is scraping the barrel so much we have nearly bored through it. Alan
Message 15 of 16
latest reply