cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

organization of items I am selling

I would love to hear how other people are keeping their items organized once they are listed and before they sell and are shipped.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I keep everything on shelves and on long hanging dowels (wooden dowels/ as clothing racks) on the left side of my garage. When I want to list something, I bring it in my house, take pics, list it with all measurements and put it back out in my garage on the other side on other dowel racks. This way, I lose no items in any possible mix.

When an item gets sold, I see  payment, go grab the item, fold it up, pack it, print a ship label, set it out in my enclosed breezeway for usps scheduled P/U.

At my summer home  (which I move to, each summer for a few months), I keep everything in a guest bedroom on a top of a bunk bed. When sold, I pack it up after I get a payment and take every pkg, by boat, because my summer home is on a tiny lil island with no postal service. I must drive my boat to a post office that sits on lake front, every morning to ship.

Best to put all your stuff in one place and after listed, designate a completely different space for listed stuff only so you don't mix things up. Too easy to do.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hello,

I keep my items in my spare bedroom closet on shelves with all my packing materials nearby, as soon as I get an order and it is marked as paid I go pick the item pack it print the label and place it in my mailbox.

When the mailman comes to bring my mail they take the package with them. We ship out packages out the same day or the very next morning.

Thank you in advance for your time, Eddie

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi Group!

I keep my inventory in "Space Bags" (no I don't crush them, except to bring them back from a buying trip). Each bag represents a group that is identified by a code. This may sound a little complicated, but it's not. For example, let's say I purchased twenty items (clothing) at a garage sale on Sheridan Dr. That code would be YS-Sheridan and each item would have it's own tag (YS-Sher01 thru YS-Sher20), They are all photographed, measured and written up before returning them to their space bag folded.

I keep all the space bags in our "third bedroom" which I consider "the attic". I also keep smaller lots in suitcases layered and separated with a clear plastic sheet stored flat so they don't move.. Each layer has a tag (3x5 file card will do) that identifies that layer (ex. YS-Sheridan) and can be seen through the separating plastic. This method is usually used to store the items from larger lots that are still unsold but don't fill a Space Bag anymore. I also have unlisted inventory in totes, bags and a free standing wardrobe in the garage. They're all marked so that when I do list them I will know how to code them. I keep all the different lots separate so that I can know the "cost" of the item and be able to figure the profit after all the fees, shipping supplies, etc. are deducted. I do record all that information when I list an item and complete it when the item sells. I have read all the other "organizing" methods and they are all excellent. I think you have to find what works for you and your Smiley Happysituation that you'll be comfortable with in you eBay selling adventure.

Best of Luck to you.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I sell books - shelved alphabetically by author, Postcards- in shoeboxes by topic, and dress patterns- in boxes by brand and then by number.

CDs alphabetically by artist. DVDs alphabetically by title.

Postage lots (Canadian usually) - made up by the staff at our B&M when we buy estates. Philatelic estates always have quanities of mint stamps that are not in demand by collectors. We sell most to a local hospital for their fundraising campaigns, and I sell a lot to eBay sellers to reduce thier shipping costs.

The hardest are the 'smalls', small vintage items like Christmas ornaments, decorative china, fast food premiums, etc. Those are failrly randomly in shoeboxes. Fortunately (or not) a slow seller so I can afford to rummage occasionally.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I just have everything on a table, along with my scale and envelope.  It's not overly organized, but it's also not in disarray.  When I list I put the item in an envelope right away.  My computer is in a corner in the same room.  When an item sells I just find it, seal it up and ship.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have a B&M store and also sell on my own website, as well as some other hobby-specific websites. So organization is very important.

Fortunately all the stamps of the world have been catalogued. The most common catalogue in North America is Scott which is six volumes the size of a metropolitan phone book.

When I decide to put an item 'into inventory"  the card is given a code that tells me the date of purchase. The card then goes into the books that are organized by Scott number. If the item is also going online, the inventory number is somewhere in the listing.

When an inventory item sells, the staffer MUST record the inventory number in the day book. This includes floor staff and online staff. And me.

One staffer is designated to remove all inventory items from all websites, when the item sells in another venue.

At the moment, I have something over 20,000 items listed on eBay. That's less than 1% of my retail stock, although it is a higher percentage of the value of my stock.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply