cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about International buyers

Is it appropriate to message your buyer to see if they have received their item? Very few international buyers leave feedback (which is fine with me)  so I do not know if they have received their item in good condition. I am asking this now because I had a packaged returned to me as undeliverable address (not an international package). I messaged my buyer, she provided me with a different address, and I asked customer service about using the new address which they said was fine. The package looked beat up so I opened it to repackage it and found that the item was smashed. Not broken, smashed! It's as though someone threw it on the ground and stomped it! I package my items very well, but this poor little guy just didn't make it. Now I'm concerned about packaging and shipping to international shippers. The few who do leave feedback have all been positive, but this still concerns me greatly

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I would not ask because I think you would be asking for trouble.  Just let it go.  They will let you know if they didn't get the package.  If you don't hear from them you should assume they received it.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I agree.

Because I am in Canada, most of my buyers are international (Americans, eh?).

Basically I let sleeping dogs lie.

If you are using tracking, USPS will tell you the status of your item.

If you are not using tracking, but it has been less than 30 days since you shipped to Canada or Europe, the item is probably pretty close to being delivered. Don't panic the customer.

Same goes for Australia, Asia and South America, only make it 35 to 40 days.

Only use Air Mail for shipping overseas. I think USPS now only offers Air service overseas in any case, true?

I messaged my buyer, she provided me with a different address, and I asked customer service about using the new address which they said was fine.

Two things the customer rep didn't say.

The buyer should add the correct address to her PP account. Otherwise you are not covered by eBay's risible Seller Protection.

Since the buyer did not give you the correct address, she should be paying again for shipping.

In any case, I think your best bet is to send your customer a picture of the smashed item and wrapping, along with an apology and a refund.

Yes, you apologize even if it isn't your fault. I know it's a cultural difference, but a premptive apology smooths over many future problems.

I package my items very well, but this poor little guy just didn't make it. Now I'm concerned about packaging and shipping to international shippers.

Using Air Mail will take care of most problems, since the parcel spends less time in the system.

I wonder if your item was just a little too thick for the machines? Most mail is untouched by human hands, but the machinery is unforgiving.

I attended a seminar for eBayers by Canada Post. The rep explained that every parcel had to expect that moving from one conveyor belt to the next, there could be a two foot drop, because that's the max size of parcels. Then the next parcel to make that drop could weigh up to 50 lbs. Would that smash your parcels?

Our Letter and Light Packet shipments must be less than 2 cm thick. Less than an inch. If a 2.1cm envelope tries to go through the machinery, it will  either block up the belt or have the packaging ripped off it by the pressure of parcels behind it.

BTW, postal systems will bag and mark any items that are damaged while in their hands. If there is no such packaging, the damage happened elsewhere.

On the whole, don't worry about your international customers. Note that this question came out of a situation with a domestic buyer.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

I did exactly that. Sent a pic of the smashed item, packaging and all and a full refund and apology. I also heeded the advice of Kristeinjoy and yourself...I haven't asked anyone else.
And yes, the package is thicker at one end than the other. I'm hoping this is a one time incident as the item is my 2nd highest seller!
Message 4 of 4
latest reply