cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

movie / title is an invalid variation for a movie

I had listed 43 variations of blu-Ray movies with no problems. When I tried to sell them for 5 for $20.00 it would not let buyers request an invoice I assume because I had free shipping. Now I am trying revise the listing with varied pricing and it will not let me update. In bold red letters it says movie/TV title is not  allowed as a variation specific. I contacted ebay , no help. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@pegasus32 

That's not how the variation listings are supposed to be used.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@pegasus32,

If the system won't allow you to use the movie title as a variation specific, that probably means that different movies are considered to be different products. Variations are supposed to be used for a single product with different options, using them for different products is not allowed.

https://export.ebay.com/en/listings/how-optimize-your-listings/how-to-create-listings-with-variation...

image.png

I don't know if it would help if you used the same price for all the movies (or almost the same). One of the reasons for not allowing different products is because some sellers will include a very cheap product that isn't really a variation or option of the main product, just in order to have a very low-priced variation that artificially improves the search results. I think it still would not be allowed.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

A bunch of other people have listing where you can pick a blu-ray from a list of available blu-rays. In fact I had this listing but I can not update it. When I went to update I ran into this issue.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Ok I tried taking the word movie out of the title but I still cant update. I had this listing up for 3 days . The heading of the variant is already in eBay's system. I could not revise a invoice on a sale because of free shipping I assume, so I tried to revise my listing and now it stops me. It took about 2 hours to do this listing so I really don't want to start from scratch. I have just one variation which is TV/ Movie Title and then you can pick your movie form a list of movie titles on the drop down menu.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@pegasus32 wrote:

A bunch of other people have listing where you can pick a blu-ray from a list of available blu-rays. In fact I had this listing but I can not update it. When I went to update I ran into this issue.

Just because other sellers are doing it, doesn't make it right.

Variation listings are to be used for the same item, with different colors or sizes.

If they won't let you edit the listing, they might have found a way to do away with them.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@pegasus32,

I'm sorry, but the policy says you can't use a variations listings to sell different products, and different movie titles are considered to be different products. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/search-browse-manipulation-policy?id=4243

"Offering a choice of different products in a single listing is not allowed. This includes:

"• Selling different brands or models in the same listing ..."

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Seems eBay system has finally detected  your  violation listing this way

Just list  movie titles separately 

If you continue to list against eBay policy you may find your be suspended as a seller

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I'm running into the same issue. I have sold some of my inventory through private sale and now I can't login and update my inventory. I was able to create a 2nd listing but don't want to start from scratch as i have 100+ photos connected to each variation on my listing. I am considering deleting my listing with the issues and just hope it never happens again. This is typically how DVD resellers list so if your saying its not allowed then the entire community should be held to the same standards. I can make an additional listing and add variations but can't edit this 1 individual listing. Ebay FB wasn't much help either. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

eBay may have protected that field, movie/TV title, from being a variation.

I know of recently, eBay stopped letting sellers with sports trading cards not use Card Attribute or Card Number for variation listings. This has caused a major issue with those sellers as it was common for sellers to have dozens if not hundreds of cards from a single set and make a listing where the buyers chooses which card number they need from the set. Like card #87 or card #96 from 2021 Topps Series 1 as an example.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

eBay has recently made a lot of changes to the categories, which affects a lot of variations listings among other things. They have also updated a lot of the required Item Specifics.

All sellers are having to deal with this now. 

Sorry, I know that's not much consolation. But it is what it is.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@pegasus32 

That particular wording means that eBay has reserved the word "movie/TV title" as a product "Item Specific", and as such, will not allow it to be used as the name of a variation group.

shipscript_0-1626584842520.png

A lot of eBay categories are now running into the problem of conflicts with eBay's reserved words and their own custom use of those reserved words.

There is a method of renaming a variation group to get around the name conflict. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Tools/Use-File-Exchange-to-take-the-pain-out-of-creating-large/...

For sellers with hundreds or thousands of variations to rename, help can be found on this thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Tools/Sports-Trading-cards-revision-post-here-if-you-are/m-p/32...

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Ebay idiocy continues! I'm not sure when this policy was enacted, but I have had multi-movie listings on ebay for well over 2 years.

When shipping costs accounts for a large portion of things I sell it makes sense to encourage bundling. I can offer 10% off when they buy 2 or more, so that saves the customer $ and me $!!! Having multiple low cost items of the same category in the same listing acts as a one stop shop for customers, and simple management for the seller. If your an average Joe casually selling stuff laying around the house (who doesn't care to upkeep a shop) ebay officially sucks. 

Their policy changes in the past few years have been absolutely horrible imo. 

...Don't even get me started on the ebay bucks program changes...

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@slipnslide123 

eBay has not stopped allowing you to create variation listings with bulk discounts. They have simply reserved the phrase "movie / TV title" for their item specifics, and sellers who used that as a variation name in the past will need to come up with a different name for the variation group.   We have a tool to rename variations.  For help using the tool, please message me or post on this forum:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Tools/Sports-Trading-cards-revision-deadline-post-here-if-you-a...

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hello community,

I once had all my VHS movies listed under variations, probably around 2014. I let it expire and eventually they deleted it (which is another one of my issues separate from this), I'm trying to do it again, but now I get a message saying this category does not support variations.  I'm guessing somewhere along the line ebay put an end to allowing variations in the movie category.  I assume they changed that policy, sent it out in one of the many messages that I and probably most of us never read.  They probably just don't allow it anymore. Another attempt to force us to pay for listing more than our allotted listing quantity or to pay for a store that I know doesn't make sense for me because I don't sell enough per month to justify the cost.  I may sell a graded comic book for $50, but it the book itself cost money as does the grading and getting Signatures on, so I'm loosing money when trying to unload something I no longer want because it graded out lower than expected and isn't worth what I hoped it would be

Message 15 of 16
latest reply