cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silver marks from Israel? Can you read or do you reconize them? TYIA

new 129.JPGnew 136.JPG

new 138.JPGnew 144.JPG

Hi   I didn't watch to scratch test these and was hoping maybe someone would recognize the marks, origin, age, silver or metal content, etc  Any help is appreciated   Thank you  Have a wonderful Sunday 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

^^
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The first picture is upside down Arabic. The second picture strangely enough looks like Thai. The symbol of the pointed building looks like a Thai or maybe even a Burmese (Myanmar) mark. Search for silver work in those two countries. The Arabic could just be the signature of the artisan. My bet is Burmese.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=burmese+silver+work&client=tablet-android-samsung&source=lnms&tbm=...

Hmm mm. Look familiar? As for the scratch test. Avoid! Just rub a testing stone from an unobtrusive area and pop your acid on it. If this is Burmese then it is at least 800 silver.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Whew, that's a start!! Those do kind of favor mine but mine have little animals I would have never guesses Burmese or Thailand Thank you guys off to research some more!!

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Wait a second, these are two separate items, the first one is an ash tray?? or am I seeing handles. If you can get a few more pics of the second piece, the animals etc, I might be able to identify the style more clearly. Now which hallmark belongs to which??

If the Arabic one is for the top it could be Iran or Turkey.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

the temple mark goes with the animal bowl I found one other similar listed as Indian and Burmese The scribble or siggie goes with the ashtray

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

new 139.JPGnew 140.JPG

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Animal bowl COULD be India, script is similar to Tamil, (South India)I would guess "Swami silver". Were not often marked though. The yellowish tinge is not rubbed off silver is it? just camera?

If  Burmese they were popular colectibles by expats in the 70s. People who lived in Hong Kong, Thailand. They were smuggled from Burma. I was at a friends home in Bangkok when she bought a few from a man who had brought them in.

The ash tray could be a tourist item (or not) from the MIddle East somewhere, wish we could translate the Arabic!! Turkey? Egypt? Iran?

Do check the silver content, wll have a lot to do with value 🙂 good luck.

swami silver from Tamilnadu South India. As I said more detailed pics of the animals will give clues to style.

For values check auction houses like Sothebys, Bonhams etc.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=swami+silver+bowl&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS581US581&espv=2&biw=1024&bih=677...

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

99% sure not India 🙂 Rabbits rarely depicted, although elephants often are 🙂

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

It's not yellow underneath I first thought it was brass coming through but it isn't I can only acid test and I'm not good at that But with the 18k acid I don't know how to tell the purity

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

14k, 18k, 22k, 24k all pertain to gold.

Their is a separate one for silver. Cheap at any jewelry supply store. Rub you piece on the special stone, make a good streak, drop some liquid on it. Good silver will turn a creamy red. And will wipe off with a clean paper towel red also.

Plated will be watery red and wipe off the stone greenish. To make sure my liquid is good I usually test something MARKED. 925 which is sterling. Make sure you clean off your stone each time you use it. Be very careful.These are ACIDS!!

You will get the hang of it 🙂

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Ahhh I've never heard that breakdown before I usually scratch and wait for the frosty blue color with the 18k I'll have to try that one out! Thank you Both pieces tested as silver with the 18k acid this morning

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Gold tester wil NOT work for silver 🙂

Suggest looking up Google for testing precious metals. 

I bought my entire kit on Ebay for about 25 dollars. You can get just silver too for waaaay less. I test for silver more often so it is worth it. The acids do expire though, and as I said good to use gloves or be very careful, remember chem lab and acid?? 😉

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

lol Thanks I am a klutz!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply