cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is ebay so difficult

I just wanted to get a partial refund and when I went through the refund process what I saw on the screen led me to believe that I'd have to return the item and get a full refund.  So I closed the refund, not realizing that it couldn't be undone.  So now the seller has to refund through paypal but is going to get stuck with the final value fee of the original sale.

This doesn't seem fair.  I'd call ebay again to complain but the last time I called the call quality was so bad I could hardly hear what the rep was saying.

The longer I use ebay the less I like it.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: why is ebay so difficult

eBay doesn't refund a sellers FVFs on partial refunds so it doesn't matter. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You had a bad connection to India or the Philippines or wherever eBay's customer service lurks these days.  Did it occur to you to hang up and call back? Do it now.

Fair? Life isn't.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Ebay isn't set up for buyers to request partial refunds, but they do give the seller one chance to OFFER a partial to a buyer. If the buyer accepts, it's a done deal.  For a buyer, it's all or nothing, return for refund.

Most sellers will not entertain partial refund requests from buyers because that's the general hallmark of scammers looking for post-sale discounts. They find "something wrong" and demand sellers for a partial refund, many times under the threat of negative feedback.

If you and your seller have agreed on a partial, they can still refund it through Paypal, and as another seller stated, they don't get FVF credits on partial refunds. The only way to get an FVF credit is to do a FULL refund.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

If you have an issue, you can message the seller and tell them what it is.

It is up to them to suggest a solution.

If they suggest a partial, then you are free to accept that.  If not, you open a case for item not as described.  Seller may or may not require a return of the item.  They pay return shipping if they require a return and you get 5 days to get the item in the mail back to the seller.  When tracking shows delivery, you are refunded purchase price and original shipping.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@urban_crawler wrote:

I just wanted to get a partial refund and when I went through the refund process what I saw on the screen led me to believe that I'd have to return the item and get a full refund.  So I closed the refund, not realizing that it couldn't be undone.  So now the seller has to refund through paypal but is going to get stuck with the final value fee of the original sale.

This doesn't seem fair.  I'd call ebay again to complain but the last time I called the call quality was so bad I could hardly hear what the rep was saying.

The longer I use ebay the less I like it.

OP, with all due respect, your dissatisfaction comes from not knowing how Ebay works, and expecting it to work the way you want it to.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

It is totally up to the seller as to if they are willing to give a partial refund, many will not, and eBay does not compel sellers to do so.  If you are unhappy with your purchase you should have contacted the seller regarding a partial refund.

You had the option to file a return request and from your post it appears that you did, but canceled the request.  Unfortunately for you, once closed it cannot be reopened.  As mentioned by others, you really need to familiarize yourself with the MBG procedure.

I'm curious, why would you want only a partial refund if you were unhappy with your purchase.  If it was not as described I would think that you would want to return for a full refund.  Was it a matter of you just changing your mind?

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

So now you have a decision.  Do you want to live with it, and settle, or just return it, seller pays return shipping?

Seller will only have to refund if you return the item, you would have five days to get it in the mail.  When tracking shows delivery, you would be refunded.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

If its good enough to keep, its good enough to pay full price.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@robot-hands wrote:

That sounds good for sellers, but the buyer didn't get what he ordered.  So in other words, buyer paid too much.  There should be no question of settling, buyer should get what he ordered.  Some buyers may elect to keep the item, but they may also feel betrayed, taken and resentful.  Not everyone is that tolerant.  Now I have been on Ebay for ages, and I have a high tolerance, but I can attest to the fact that many are tired of the high incidence of true SNADs.

This thread is by many regular posters, knowledgeable, well respected, successful sellers who detail the high incidence of true SNADs and abusive, hostile customer service.  Many have been on Ebay for ages, and their loyalty was stretched to the breaking point and in some cases, was broken, due to these experiences.  Sellers won the battle, but lost the war, with these high rates of true SNADs and abuse.  And sales are down.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-m-beginning-to-see-what-buyers-contend-with/m-p/27854770#M11...

Buyers may go to just opening SNADs to avoid this type of dilemma and having to settle when they didn't get  what they should have~sellers pay return shipping.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@robot-hands wrote:

That sounds good for sellers, but the buyer didn't get what he ordered.  So in other words, buyer paid too much.  

My #1 goal on ebay is always to get the buyer to pay too much.

...as much as they will possibly part with.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply