cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who pays shipping cost when item is as described but did NOT fit?

Hello everyone!

I sold a 30x30 man's overall and he put a return on transit and the reason was "did not fit". I am still waiting for the item, he has not stated anything about the shipping charges but I am anticipating so I want to know if when I process the refund without the shipping charges...... will Ebay make me refund the shipping cost if the customer complains? I am afraid that he will get mad and give me a bad review. Will ebay allow him to give me a bad review for something it was not my fault?  I will appreciate some input.

Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@missjen831 wrote:

@aferg2 wrote:
You should be specifying your return policy in your listings. e.g., "Buyer pays return shipping." or "I will pay return shipping only for items not correctly described." etc.

If it's in your listing, you do not have to start worrying about it at the time of return.

The seller is required to specify that information but it all comes down to the official reason the buyer requests a return—THAT is what determines who pays for return shipping. 

@yarimar71 fit issues are buyers remorse and unless the sellers return policy says otherwise, the buyer pays for return shipping if the official return reason is “ordered by mistake” or “wrong size or doesn’t fit”. If they chose “not as described/doesn’t match listing” and they state in the notes that the item doesn’t fit, it’s a not as described return and the seller pays for return shipping unless the call eBay to fight the return.

The default for "does not fit" in the eBay return system is that the buyer pays for return shipping ... however, the buyer (upon discovering that they have to pay for return shipping) can call into eBay customer service and force the seller to pay for shipping for a "does not fit" return reason.

(Yes, it happened to me).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@yarimar71 wrote:

Hello everyone!

I sold a 30x30 man's overall and he put a return on transit and the reason was "did not fit". I am still waiting for the item, he has not stated anything about the shipping charges but I am anticipating so I want to know if when I process the refund without the shipping charges...... will Ebay make me refund the shipping cost if the customer complains? I am afraid that he will get mad and give me a bad review. Will ebay allow him to give me a bad review for something it was not my fault?  I will appreciate some input.

Thank you in advance!

Buyer should pay the return shipping as long as your measurements were correct. I’ve never had a buyer complain yet that I did not refund the shipping in that case.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I agree with labratdolls, as long as your description was accurate to sizing, etc. the return costs would be on the buyer's dime.  You can't possibly be responsible for someone else's unique anatomical dimensions.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

You should be specifying your return policy in your listings. e.g., "Buyer pays return shipping." or "I will pay return shipping only for items not correctly described." etc.

If it's in your listing, you do not have to start worrying about it at the time of return.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@aferg2 wrote:

The seller is required to specify that information but it all comes down to the official reason the buyer requests a return—THAT is what determines who pays for return shipping. 

@yarimar71 fit issues are buyers remorse and unless the sellers return policy says otherwise, the buyer pays for return shipping if the official return reason is “ordered by mistake” or “wrong size or doesn’t fit”. If they chose “not as described/doesn’t match listing” and they state in the notes that the item doesn’t fit, it’s a not as described return and the seller pays for return shipping unless the call eBay to fight the return.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@aferg2 wrote:

The default for "does not fit" in the eBay return system is that the buyer pays for return shipping ... however, the buyer (upon discovering that they have to pay for return shipping) can call into eBay customer service and force the seller to pay for shipping for a "does not fit" return reason.

(Yes, it happened to me).

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Great post and thank you for taking the time to post it.

I have  just recieved an email notifiying me of return that was as described, but did not fit.

I think the buyer is paying for the return as it does not say other wise and the refund amount is just for the cost of the item.....BUT, HERE IS THE RUB, and I cannot find an answer....What happens if shipping is free!!

I am still out out the cost of shipping the item to the customer....Does ebay credit that back to me or do I eat it...$ 7 dollars.

Overload of "happy, trouble free" information on Ebay's help system, ecept for an answer to who pays for shipping to the customer in the first place in the event of a return.

Anyone have a idea.

Regards,

Hudson

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I think the buyer is paying for the return as it does not say other wise and the refund amount is just for the cost of the item.....BUT, HERE IS THE RUB, and I cannot find an answer....What happens if shipping is free!!

If shipping is free, then you don't get to withhold the original shipping from the refund.    This is one reason some sellers charge a restocking fee.   If you don't have a restocking fee in your listing then you take the loss of original shipping. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The only way to recover some or all of the 'free' shipping on a remorse return is if you specify a restocking fee.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for turning me on to the term "Remorse Return" as well as the restocking fee idea
Message 10 of 10
latest reply