cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shipping...I'm sorry! It's just so confusing

I have one box filled with an antique doll. I have encased it with bubble wrap so that it looks like a cocoon.

Do I try to put it in a box within a box or is one box sufficient? 

I have 25$ buyer pay shipping listed and would like to keep it in that range cost-wise if possible. 

The box I'm trying to get it in is too tight so I will go to the stores to find a larger one so I can line that with packing material. 

Do I just take it to the post office or is there a cheaper way? I keep reading how Ebay will be taking funds from me for everything. 

EEK

Message 1 of 72
latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Re: shipping...I'm sorry! It's just so confusing

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Discontinued Feb 2022, just over 2 years ago.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2022/pb22592/html/updt_005.htm

They measured, inner dimensions, approx 23.5 x 11.75 x 3.

An 18" doll is highly unlikely to fit in a box that measures only 3" thick. Maybe if it's a Gumby doll. 😂

I just checked, they are like you said!
They are still accepting them as flat rate though.  I've got a huge stack of them and still shipping them as flat rate. 
With ground advantage though, seem to seldom choose Flat Rate as an option any more. 
Even AK, HI, and PR most of the time cheaper to ship as Ground Advantage.

I've sure taken the "if it fits it ships" to extremes in the past for flat rate. LOL

Message 61 of 72
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

I just checked, they are like you said!
They are still accepting them as flat rate though.

Correct - if you have stock you can still use them at the large flat rate, but you cannot order more.

@redlinear wrote:

With ground advantage though, seem to seldom choose Flat Rate as an option any more. 
Even AK, HI, and PR most of the time cheaper to ship as Ground Advantage.

Yep - same here and exactly why many of us frequently suggest the med and large flat rate boxes are seldom good choices and we won't lead fellow sellers to that money sink hole. They do work out sometimes, but most of the time they're not cost effective. Cubic rates frequently blow them out of the water.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 62 of 72
latest reply

Soooooo...I have a Home Depot box. Medium in size. 21x15x16. It's a bit too deep but realistically the length of it works if I want to add more padding. Is this box RIDICULOUS to send out? It will be light but large. This doll sold for 250$ with a $25 shipping fee. 

I will be better prepared next time. I have to be.

Message 63 of 72
latest reply

@freedom21 

That is a big box.

Surcharge for over 2 cu ft.

Short distance (zone 4)  about $50

Zone 8  ............ $90

Resizing would be better.

You can go to the shipping label page to put in those dimensions to see the cost without actually buying a label.

ETA: ............. 21 X 12 X 12  zone 8 would be  $23.57 for any weight up to 19 pounds

Message 64 of 72
latest reply

Im glad i wasn’t standing . I think i would have fallen over .

Message 65 of 72
latest reply

@freedom21 

I did an edit to add info on my previous post after plugging in some weights.

Message 66 of 72
latest reply

@freedom21 wrote: .... 21x15x16. ... It will be light but large.....

Any box that's over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) will be charged postage based on its "dimensional weight" rather than the scale weight.

The volume of that box is 5040 cubic inches, and the formula for dimensional weight is the volume in cubic inches divided by 166,  so it will ship at the rate for a 31-pound box, plus a surcharge for being over 2 cubic feet.  If you cut down the box, every inch you reduce it will save $$$.  For instance, 21 x 10 x 10 would ship at the 13-pound rate.

Has the buyer paid yet?

Message 67 of 72
latest reply

Soooo....after driving all around town in search of the perfect box I wound up cutting the top off of one to add it to another to keep it under the 4$ service charge. 

I SCREWED THAT UP TOO! 

My box is now 20 3/4 x 11x 12 so 21x11x12 . When I enter it in it says 26.04.  NY to Portland, OR. 

Sound about right? I received, supposedly, 25$ for shipping. I'm assuming Ebay will take some of that as well? 250 for doll. 25 for shipping. 

At this point I would just print the label and the funds would come off the top?

Message 68 of 72
latest reply

Some questions about your current listing:

Do you really want to list that fan with free shipping?

Is it common for anyone to pay $25 for a 2 oz stick deodorant? 

Message 69 of 72
latest reply

You sold it on the 24th according to the listing.  If you have not been paid by now, the 28th, you can cancel  tomorrow, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason.

PLEASE do some more reading about selling here.  

Message 70 of 72
latest reply

As a senior, have to take umbrage at your implication that a senior "probably can't figure out how to do that".

True, I personally would probably need help.  There are many seniors, however, who are more computer savvy than I am, but don't make a sweeping generalization that is somewhat insulting.  

Message 71 of 72
latest reply

And a certain number of the "younger crowd" won't understand that either.  Correct?

It's not only seniors who possibly don't have a cellphone, or don't use Facebook.  Correct?

Message 72 of 72
latest reply