cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return label policy

I understand a seller should make money from products and that's fine, long as the product is sound and works accordingly. However, when a product gets broken via shipping, etc or is wrong etc, just send the label and get this process done already! I offered an exchange on a wrong purchase for the right item, denied. So the business looses money I don't get my item? Ebay has gone down the tubes. All the influx of inferior product and slow return procedures is pushing me further away from ebay. I don't want anything for nothing but when a seller fails to reply or send a label in the three day period, for whatever reason, ebay just refunds the money. Now if the item is needed and can't be found being stuck with a broken item doesn't help as you go right back to ebay for the missing or broken parts! Refunds are OK but now the whole process of finding the item all over again begins, more delays. I think there could be more quality control, but big money isn't in favor of that either. I order seasonal things in advance just for this reason, usually have to return an item 4 out of 5 purchases of late.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: return label policy

See, though, as a buyer, do you have some part in choosing the items you purchase? Yes, that is entirely on you. Yet, you are STILL having an awful lot of issues and ebay will see you as the problem because you are relying on the MBG instead of your own knowledge and discretion of what you are buying and from whom. It's considered abuse of the policy. You are using the MBG is your fail-safe, but it's not there to be abused.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Most sellers are not able to “exchange” an item broken/damaged during shipping.

Many items are “one of a kind.”

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@oldtractorfanatic wrote:

just send the label and get this process done already! I offered an exchange on a wrong purchase for the right item, denied. So the business looses money I don't get my item? Ebay has gone down the tubes.

First, you purchased the wrong thing ...

being stuck with a broken item doesn't help as you go right back to ebay for the missing or broken parts!

... and then it's broken?

I usually have to return an item 4 out of 5 purchases of late.

Fortunately, that won't be a problem for much longer.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Tell me, why won't it be a problem is something going to change?
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I assume that's an exaggeration, four out of every five items needing to be returned is extreme. It will eventually be deemed as abuse of the buyer's MGB. No one really knows the numbers or the timeframes though.

I don't think I've returned four items in 17 years, I would just be outta here at 80 percent!

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Say, every item somehow managed to end up being from China, without disclosing that fact upfront. I don't abuse the system, I order things we should get intact and or at least functional and of late, that is not the case. Perhaps you don't buy things from the same sellers or the same types of items? Simply put, it will change eventually by removing the bogus products altogether and or being able to identify the origin of the product. A shame that a whole Country is hellbent on selling  inferior goods to unsuspecting buyers. Granted, it is one's duty to research the seller, however, the feedback system is flawed terribly. All in all, I still use ebay as it is the most convenient market place regardless. Glad to know you have had such a good success rate in your purchases.

Regards

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

A 90% problematic transaction rate is going to get eBay's attention. Nobody in their right mind would continue to shop on a platform that has a 90% error record. So I (and many others) are inclined to believe that you are the common denominator, and ebay can see even more than we can, so....
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

See, though, as a buyer, do you have some part in choosing the items you purchase? Yes, that is entirely on you. Yet, you are STILL having an awful lot of issues and ebay will see you as the problem because you are relying on the MBG instead of your own knowledge and discretion of what you are buying and from whom. It's considered abuse of the policy. You are using the MBG is your fail-safe, but it's not there to be abused.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Help me understand this. I have a need for product, I research the seller with the system given to me on the site. The seller has so many sales that the minor amount of negatives don't really mean much. The percentile calculated based on sales is so small, almost always the score is still at least 98 percent positive. Now, I truly have had this issue of late and it isn't whomever I am choosing based on the feedback score, it is my fault due to it being my lack of discretion? That is horse hockey! The majority of product sold imported, is JUNK and as sellers you are more than aware of this! Now it is so difficult to discern whom these sellers are and where the product is from, sometimes it isn't made clear until after the sale. I don't want to end up as a "problem buyer" but I do need to stand up for myself and care for my money as I am held accountable. I did at one time sell on ebay so all of this isn't exactly new to me, but creating a simpler system would be nice. Not everyone on ebay as buyers, are looking for freebies. I appreciate all the answers and quite frankly, I must accept this answer as the solution.

Now I will close my accounts, pay-pal & ebay and that is the best "discretion". However, finding and buying things hit & miss will cease, and my desired products not found at all. I'd rather gamble and end up with the item even at 50/50 odds than not at all.......

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Believe me, I have been on ebay since the very beginning. I was robbed twice by both ebay and pay-pal without a refund, mind you. So yes, I must be crazy to return is right! However, the few good, functioning items outweigh the garbage. Not like the judgment I am getting as I am trying to ask a simple question, which will drag my post through the mud instead of answering the question at hand. Ebay knows me very well in fact and that will never happen. I don't use anything for a fail safe, I simply buy and hope that it is functional at best, as the source is questionable at best. Let's not forget the successful purchases do pay your bills.......
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I kinda got that as the last item was not at all defective, just bought in haste and "looked" to be the right item. The seller was very nice and extremely professional. I paid the return shipping. One of a kind could be the case, but this was not, by no means, one of a kind. I can see the system not permitting a seller to do this if they send product from some warehouse in east cupcake! Man, they don't even see the product, never mind exchange it! Lol
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Despite what you think and what it looks like, 98% positive feedback is NOT a good rating. Anything below 99.5 is worth taking another look at the feedback comments. Because you have a lot of problems with your transactions, ebay takes notice. The have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to resolution cases. Four out of five is A LOT. There are plenty of top Rated Sellers with near perfect selling records that you should be able to find something worth buying and worth keeping without opening a case on every article. It shows poor shopping practices. On the flip side, sellers who have poor selling practices eventually get booted out of here, too. But if the seller has tens of thousands of items, it takes an awful lot of unresolved cases for ebay to just suspend the account.
I don't see why you would close your account over this. And I hope you wouldn't, because there are a ton of excellent sellers here who want your business. Just vet your sellers better and be willing to pay a couple extra bucks for the piece of mind that you get from buying a quality product from a reputable seller. Sometimes, saving a few cents just isn't worth it in the end.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

You said you do not use the system as a fail safe but your very nest statement negates that : "I simply buy and hope that it is functional at best". No. You NEED to be confident in your purchase so that you do not even need to think about your MBG, upon HOPE that the item is functional. Otherwise you ARE using it as a fail safe. And that is why people are warning (criticizing, judging... whatever you want to call it). It is not personal against you, but we do want you to understand why ebay might frown upon your shopping habits.
Message 13 of 13
latest reply