cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postage due

last week I got a postage due on my trading cards. The local post office said the envelopes were classified as packages. These envelopes have one card in them. I am being charged 2 to 3 dollars per envelope. Does anyone else have this problem? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

postage due

Depends on the size of the envelope; width, length, thickness...along with weight

...what are those numbers?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

postage due

@2waffles 

In many instances with sellers using the eBay Standard Envelopes (ESEs), the determining factor is envelope flexibility:  if the ESE is not flexible enough, it will not be able to pass through the high-speed automatic roller system.  Are you mailing cards using non-flexible holders rather than penny sleeves?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

postage due

I am receiving cards not shipping. I think the problem is the rigid toploaders. Also sellers are cutting cardboard pieces to protect the cards. I finally got to speak to a different post office and the man was very helpful. I was getting nothing but a hard time at my local one. I realize I don't have to pay for the postage, but I really want the cards I'm winning. I had to bite the bullet and pay the shipping. Live and learn I suppose. Thank you for your reply.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

postage due

@2waffles 

Let the sellers know that their "envelopes" arrived postage due - otherwise, they won't change their ways. If the items were non-machinable, then the items would not pass through the high speed sorting equipment, where they would be scanned. They likely arrived without a scan. The sellers should offer to refund the postage, and if they don't, then you can always use feedback to express your dissatisfaction with the seller's lack of shipping acumen.

Some top loaders are flexible and some are rigid. Stiff cardboard also makes an envelope too rigid and "non-machinable", as mentioned by @1786davycrockett

For sellers who land here, this is the shipping method I use for eBay Standard Envelope:

Shipping - eBay standard envelopeShipping - eBay standard envelope

And this video will help sellers understand what their items face when they hit the hairpin corners of the high-speed scanning equipment. If the items are non-machinable, they won't be scanned, which puts the seller at risk.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/gB7QOK1bd3U?rel=0

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

postage due

@shipscript 

Excellent demonstration!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

postage due

Contact the seller and ebay support, this should not happen.

@2waffles wrote:

I am receiving cards not shipping. I think the problem is the rigid toploaders. Also sellers are cutting cardboard pieces to protect the cards. I finally got to speak to a different post office and the man was very helpful. I was getting nothing but a hard time at my local one. I realize I don't have to pay for the postage, but I really want the cards I'm winning. I had to bite the bullet and pay the shipping. Live and learn I suppose. Thank you for your reply.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

postage due

I am a seller and also once in a while get cards returned with postage due.  The problem is the top loader. Yes rigid, but if you don't use them the card has a chance to become damaged in the mail.  So sellers are caught in the middle on this issue. Buyers complain and post office complains.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

postage due

Yeah I just had this problem. Sent a card with a top loader and team bag that weighed 26 grams. 2 grams short of the full 1oz. My post office says they aren’t not machinable which is complete **bleep**. Never had a problem til the day of posting this reply. It is your post offices being greedy broke losers. Hire a bunch of idiots there I swear to god I hate these people!!!!

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

postage due

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply