cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to contest shipping adjustment ??

been selling and shipping books for a very long time ... shipped a book recently and today got an underpaid "shipping adjustment"  ...

was a book I sent MEDIA MAIL in a padded ebay envelope ....

really don't want an additional ~$3 charge ...

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

In the notice you received there should be a link from which you can dispute the charge. Have all the details ready as it is not enough just to say you do not agree - you have to explain WHY you do not agree.

On the bright side, I have had several of these over time and I have been successful in disputing all of those I thought were wrong (In fairness some of them were legitimate).

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

i have not rec'd a notice ... just saw the adjustment on my transaction history ... that is dated for today

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

What kind of book was it?  Not all books qualify for media mail.  If it has a lot of advertising in it, and the post office inspected it, that might be why you had the additional charge.  

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Did you write "media mail" on the package? My clerks at the post office saids that helps.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

If it was pattern books (crochet or knitting) doesn’t qualify for Media Mail the post office opened and inspected the contents of the package and charged you probably for priority mail. 
 IMG_1030.jpeg

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Was it a pattern book, they don't qualify for Media Mail.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Did you write "media mail" on the package? My clerks at the post office saids that helps.

That won’t help if the contents of the package doesn’t qualify like pattern books. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

i have always sent them media .. as they should qualify as they are mostly reading / instruction material ...

ugh

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@whimsyonthewinetrail wrote:

i have not rec'd a notice ... just saw the adjustment on my transaction history ... that is dated for today

Check the PERSONAL email address that you have on file with eBay for notices, etc. (Don't forget to check the SPAM folder). That is where mine always come in. I don't get them through eBay messenger.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

i have always sent them media .. as they should qualify as they are mostly reading / instruction material ...

ugh

They don’t qualify. I posted a screen shot from USPS.com that says pattern books don’t qualify. If you don’t believe it just ask your post master at your post office. 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

ugh

Well now you've been caught.........they don't qualify and never should have been sent as MM

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

thank you for the responses ..

my postmaster did tell me they were media mail eligible back when i started selling and we discussed postage rates and classes of mail ... information that i have relied on for many years (this is a second id) ...

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@whimsyonthewinetrail 

"my postmaster did tell me they were media mail eligible back when i started selling and we discussed postage rates and classes of mail ... information that i have relied on for many years" 

Either you were misinformed by your postmaster, or you misunderstood your postmaster.

Official USPS regulations, as have been previously downloaded for you, have definitely shown that pattern books are NOT included under USPS Media.

You will need to ship as USPS Ground Advantage.

Good luck.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote: ... Either you were misinformed by your postmaster, or you misunderstood your postmaster. ...

Or there are different types of pattern books.

The ones that the OP sells include pattern pieces but also instructions (AKA "reading matter"). The USPS ruling  excludes "Crossword puzzles, pattern books, poster books, iron-on transfer books, and cut-out books which do not consist of reading matter" and it seems that books which include both reading matter and pattern pieces would be eligible. Most pattern books for needlework and other crafts include extensive text with instructions, techniques etc.  It's similar to the reason that most cookbooks are eligible because they contain narrative instructions in addition to the (ineligible) list of ingredients.

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-064.htm#:~:text=Crossword%20puzzles%2C%20pattern%20books%2C%20poster....

Message 15 of 21
latest reply