cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted rates"

Got this notice from ebay today that buyers will be offered the discounted rates at the same (? assumed but not specified by ebay) that we usually buy labels at, unless you opt out by 5.15.

Question: A hypothetical case - at present, buyer pays $5 for postage but discounted postage is $3. Ebay takes their cut on the $5 and I pay $3 so I am still in the black. However, if the buyer is offered the $3 discounted rate AND ebay still takes their cut, I will be in the red if I purchase the label for $3.

Do I have this correct?

Message 1 of 126
latest reply
125 REPLIES 125

Re: ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted r

I have been watching my sales dwindle since mid 2022.

For the first time in many years my little ebay efforts operated at a loss for 2023 taxes.

It occurred to me that since I do not use promotions, do not welcome make an offer, rarely send unsolicited offers to watchers, I must be a perfect candidate to receive this helpful notice from ebay.

I don’t give them “more money than necessary”

I sell ceramics...fragile items that need quite a lot of packing material the discount covers some of that cost.

Since I use ebay labels only, what if I change to say, Pirate ship?

The opt out seems like a no-brainer to me!

Message 61 of 126
latest reply

Re: ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted r

I believe why some people did not get the email is because it seems to be directed mostly at the folks that use Calculated Shipping. If I'm charging for shipping, I almost always use calculated shipping.

Message 62 of 126
latest reply

Ridiculous 

Message 63 of 126
latest reply

I got the email also and they say they are trying to attracked more buyers with cheaper shipping costs to buy our products. How about this, why doesnt ebay lower the final value fees on their end and pass them off to the sellers  so we can in turn lower our prices. They just raised the final value flat fee price from $.30 to .40 a month ago. Its hypocritical to send out this email saying they want to help lower costs for buyers.  I get it , its their platform , but if it were not for the sellers products , there would be no need for their platform. I see these discounts from Ebay all the time mentioned but what are they selling at a discount that they actually own?

Message 64 of 126
latest reply

@gottalottatoys 

Ebay loves it sellers and will do anything to help them suckceed on its platform. 

I believe. I've been waiting on eBay for over 20 years now. I feel changes are coming. eBay did give us "free" box credits, coincidently eBay did raise store subscription prices to more then cover the costs just beforehand. I'd prefer to use the credits for boxes without eBay advertising

and at competitive pricing with more selection.

I hope when Ebay sends us free printers and label maker that they are top of the line products.

Really? So you want the "free" top of the line products with the $40 monthly subscription increase instead of the junk for a $10 monthly subscription increase? I prefer the top-of-the-line items also, but I prefer to manage my money instead of have eBay manage my money for me. Seems to be a little biased with my money going to eBay when eBay is in control.

Message 65 of 126
latest reply

Looking at that email again, it has your name on it and says if  its not you to sign in. Then looking at the form it asks for your name although they say its optional. So the only thing that gets turned in is a reason you want to opt out and a email. Is this considered opting out or are they just wanting a opinion? Why if it goes into effect on the 13th you cannot opt out until after the 15th? What happens to your sales between that time?

Message 66 of 126
latest reply

Ebay will probably use this 'opt out" method to downgrade your search standings.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 67 of 126
latest reply

@richard1rst wrote:

@wastingtime101 

I ship internationally using USPS calculated shipping (I don't use eBay's international service).  In all of the comments so far I have not seen any reference to that. Will that also be defaulted to the discounted rate?

If your account gets the email then yes @richard1rst , USPS international service rates would be affected and you can decide to let that happen or opt out if you don't want to pass on the discount.

If your account does not get the email then you won't be affected.

Last time I tested the setting (I think it was last year), the discounts applied to all services from the carrier.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 68 of 126
latest reply

I did not get any email yet about this..  but I did go to the link posted above by buyselljack2016 and the do not offer discount was already filled in..  so updated with that.

I can't do a one fee fits all shipping being on one coast because of the variation in shipping fees should it go to the opposite coast.  Some of what I have now varies by $6 or more!   And I don't think it's fair to overcharge some buyers! 

Plus..  having to pay Ebay a fee on shipping and a fee on taxes collected,  they are already cutting into any money I get!  I'm not in a business,  just doing mostly a garage sale online.  

Message 69 of 126
latest reply

Got no email, but checking my seller account...................   I did get the "message".

So.........................  question would be..............  does eBay know the difference between an email, and a message?

Only those getting the email will be affected.

quote " (Please note that this change will only apply to sellers receiving this email.)" unquote

As I did not get an "email" will I need to "opt out".

Is this just "typical eBay speak" policy writers confusion?  

They state that one can "switch back to standard rates" after May 15th.

What are "standard rates"? Is that "eBay speak" for retail rates?

Now............. in my sellers hub it has this:

april or may.jpg

So, make up my mind eBay.   Did this happen yesterday, or is it happening in May????????

Message 70 of 126
latest reply

@bomar_97 wrote:

I did not get any email yet about this..  but I did go to the link posted above by buyselljack2016 and the do not offer discount was already filled in..  so updated with that.

@bomar_97 

Not all sellers are being opted in. I'd wait for the email before worrying about it. If you receive the email there will be a link in the email, but to make it even easier:

1. If you are opting out before the May 13 deadline you can do so using the link on the Seller Center page:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/calculated-shipping-rates

2. If you miss the May 13 deadline, then you will have to opt out after this goes into effect May 15 on your Shipping Preferences page: https://www.ebay.com/ship/prf <-- that's the link posted by Jack upthread

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 71 of 126
latest reply

Thank you, I did use the link posted before to opt out of it.  I don't know if that would work, so I used your link to do the official opt out.

I don't want to overcharge some buyers or end up paying out of my own pocket when I have a small amount as it is I'm getting for many I am selling.  

Message 72 of 126
latest reply

I’m with you.  I want to be the one to decide who I extend discounts to.  I am incredibly fair to my buyers in price and in shipping, but I am not willing to give up more $$ due to changes like this. 

I did received this email today, but I am a small seller. It makes me wonder if eBay’s logic was to roll this new release out to a demographic of smaller sellers (who utilize calculated shipping). That way, if things go south, the impact is more contained (rather than if this were rolled out to a group of larger sellers - such as yourself - that have more listings)…but this is just my speculation here.

The unfortunate part of continual changes like this, (especially when coupled with other factors, like corporate transparency act legalities), is that small business owners are not going to be able to afford to stay in business due to higher cost and risks.
So it really won’t matter how many buyers they attract to the ebay platform…because the sellers eventually won’t be there. 

I love the EBay platform. However, I am not a fan of some of the changes they’ve been rolling out.  There needs to be a greater focus on seller protections & incentives, along with a stronger focus/repercussions for BAD BUYER behavior and fees. 

Message 73 of 126
latest reply

Beware just another way to cheat sellers with more shipping fees. Recommend you opt out right away

Message 74 of 126
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@richard1rst wrote:

@wastingtime101 

I ship internationally using USPS calculated shipping (I don't use eBay's international service).  In all of the comments so far I have not seen any reference to that. Will that also be defaulted to the discounted rate?

If your account gets the email then yes @richard1rst , USPS international service rates would be affected and you can decide to let that happen or opt out if you don't want to pass on the discount.

If your account does not get the email then you won't be affected.

Last time I tested the setting (I think it was last year), the discounts applied to all services from the carrier.

@wastingtime101 

Thank you. So far I have not received the email so I guess I am OK.

Message 75 of 126
latest reply