cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay closed a case in my favor but then refunded the buyer

To make a long story short, nearly 3 weeks ago I sold an item. A day after the buyer received it, they requested a refund stating that the item was damaged. Even though I state that I don't accept refunds I know how things really work on eBay and accepted the return. The buyer never responded to any messages and never sent the item back. Yesterday was the last day they had to send it back. I was really patient, not trying to make an issue of something so stupid. After seeing that nothing was going on I called CS. They agreed that it seemed the buyer was no longer interested in returning the item and closed the case in my favor. I received an email stating that I won the case, it was closed, and that I didn't need to refund the buyer anything. 11 hours later I see a charge on my PayPal account and an email from eBay stating that my account was debited to refund the buyer and that now the case is closed. It's the same case number, which has left me very confused. Every time I try to see the case details the page doesn't load anything. I'm so confused and **bleep** off right now. What do I do? Has this happened to anyone else?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: eBay closed a case in my favor but then refunded the buyer

On the transaction Details page at PayPal for the original payment you received, what does the Related transactions section say?
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Did you send the buyer a return label after you accepted the return? You didn't mention doing so. It sounds like the buyer waited until the last day they had to send it to call in and say you didn't send the label so eBay just forced the refund.

If you did send the label, then I would call CS and appeal the defect.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

Did you send the buyer a return label after you accepted the return? You didn't mention doing so. It sounds like the buyer waited until the last day they had to send it to call in and say you didn't send the label so eBay just forced the refund.

If you did send the label, then I would call CS and appeal the defect.

Yes, when the buyer requested a return through ebay I selected the option to accept the return. I paid for the label and it reflected through ebay that I accepted the return and to wait for the item to get back to me before refunding. After that, nothing ever updated on the buyers side. When I spoke to CS they were like "we can see here the buyer hasn't replied". I'm just so confused as to how they open a case, immediately close it in my favor, and then hours later say the money is being refunded. I get it if they wanted to refund it out of their own pocket to make the buyer happy, but no, they took it from me. They are literally helping the buyer steal. That is being an accomplice! To make matters worse, the buyer is a power seller and I just feel like they exploited the system in their favor.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@tarpedge wrote:
On the transaction Details page at PayPal for the original payment you received, what does the Related transactions section say?

It's very confusing. The very last thing it shows on the transaction page is "Update to Reversal - Canceled" and then at the very bottom, in the description, it says that ebay closed the case in the buyers favor. Since I didn't have enough funds (not true btw) ebay paid it out of their own pocket and I need to pay them back. What is this madness?

Needless to say, this was the straw that broke the camels back. I'm officially done with ebay.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Who was the go between on payment? If Paypal was the holder and dispatcher of funds. See if they can put a lien on the account or person. See if there is a ruling on liars, cheats, and thieves. For those are the most likely, and the ones who try and try again to not pay, return, and skip out with your property.
The same person will have a don't care attitude and do it again. They will change their manicure and start all over again. I lost a 1000.00. One of my neighbors got my account using our cable wi/fi system. I know who did it, had an address, and I told the sellers they were robbing me. They sent the items anyway. The Morrovia PD knew the address , the people, and stated they were one of the worse when it comes to online thievery. So if it was small dollars, chalk it up to experience, transfer the money over to your account before you send the order.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply