cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay allows you to post "Returns not Accepted" - and then forces you to accept return

I've been dealing with a buyer who flat out lied about the condition of a model kit I sent him. I sent the kit to him brand new and he claimed it was missing parts, had been partially assembled and had damage to other parts. Picture clearly shows this is false. He filed a return request - despite the auction stating returns weren't accepted. I had already been in discussions with eBay about the fraud that was being attempted and they said wait three business days. I waited and a reminder about the return was sent. I replied that I did not accept the return and detailed the above. eBay then sent another email stating the return had been initiated. I called eBay again - only to be told that, essentially, the "Returns not Accepted" policy was fake and that when the item was returned I could file an appeal. Given how wonderfully the last appeal went - I've opted to dump selling on eBay as I know that I'm going to receive the kit back and it'll be damaged by him - meaning I can't resell it and I'll be out $130. I acted in good faith and did everything I could to protect myself - eBay has chosen to ignore all of that, to strip me of what little protection I had and allow me to be ripped off. I advise all sellers to dump eBay permanently - there are other sites, etsy, eBid, Bonanza and on and on - hopefully one of them won't screw you over as badly as eBay does.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: eBay allows you to post "Returns not Accepted" - and then forces you to accept return

Actually, there is a difference between buyers returning things because they changed their minds and the item was not as described as in the case of an item arriving with missing parts.  While it is perfectly within your rights to deny returns for reasons of remorse on the part of the buyer, to do so because the item did not arrive in the condition it was advertised in at the time the buyer made the purchase is not.  In fact, to do so may be considered fraud by some.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: eBay allows you to post "Returns not Accepted" - and then forces you to accept return

So sorry, but an item that is not as described comes under the Ebay MBG, which overrides your no returns policy.

This is part of the Buyer Protection on Ebay.  Get the item you ordered, or your money back.  Includes purchase price and original shipping.

Seller pays return shipping if they require a return.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I too have a buyer who opened a new item then wanted to return it claiming it was not authentic when they can clearly see the item in the orginal packaging that the item is authentic. I am thinking of dropping ebay becuase they clearly do not care about sellers. 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Sam!  I once had a local buyer claim that an original oil painting done by yours truly, wasn't authentic.  Couldn't convince him otherwise, even after visiting my studio and viewing newspaper story with pictures showing the piece in a local show.  Sometimes I think that that bumper sticker, "Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here." is correct.

Oh!  For those true Star Trek aficionados, I know that Kirk never used that line in the series. Smiley Wink

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I called eBay again - only to be told that, essentially, the "Returns not Accepted" policy was fake and that when the item was returned I could file an appeal.

eBay has chosen to ignore all of that, to strip me of what little protection I had and allow me to be ripped off. I advise all sellers to dump eBay permanently -

I keep telling y'all, do an internet search for a lawyer who specialized in RICO. 80% of RICO cases involve MAIL FRAUD. eBay is complicit and has deliberate misrepresntation. Only someone who's been ripped off (harmed) can start the process rolling. Also, the one harmed must contact the lawyer, not the other way around.

I know for a FACT that some RICO lawyers are interested in this.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@jasonrhian85 wrote:

I've been dealing with a buyer who flat out lied about the condition of a model kit I sent him. I sent the kit to him brand new and he claimed it was missing parts, had been partially assembled and had damage to other parts. Picture clearly shows this is false. He filed a return request - despite the auction stating returns weren't accepted. I had already been in discussions with eBay about the fraud that was being attempted and they said wait three business days. I waited and a reminder about the return was sent. I replied that I did not accept the return and detailed the above. eBay then sent another email stating the return had been initiated. I called eBay again - only to be told that, essentially, the "Returns not Accepted" policy was fake and that when the item was returned I could file an appeal. Given how wonderfully the last appeal went - I've opted to dump selling on eBay as I know that I'm going to receive the kit back and it'll be damaged by him - meaning I can't resell it and I'll be out $130. I acted in good faith and did everything I could to protect myself - eBay has chosen to ignore all of that, to strip me of what little protection I had and allow me to be ripped off. I advise all sellers to dump eBay permanently - there are other sites, etsy, eBid, Bonanza and on and on - hopefully one of them won't screw you over as badly as eBay does.

Well I hate to see you  go !   One thing  you should know is that  both  ebid and bonanza  are a dead site for model kits  No buyer traffic. .  Fact is you got buyer that doesn't know how to build resin model kit.   I'm sorry I missed out on getting that kit . 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

There are a few scenerios on here where returns may not be authorized by Ebay. One is if the buyer has not  started a return request within the 30 day guidelines imposed by Ebay and you the seller if you have chosen that time frame. You have the option to accept the return or reject it.  No returns on your listing means still that you will accept returns, within your time frame for a accepting the return., if the customer is not satisfied with the purchase. 

There are still problems EVEN when the buyer violates the 30 day return. What they do is they go to Pay Pal and start a case there. Then, the case is reviewed based on the issues on ebay. You can win a case on PP initially not knowing whether the buyer used a credit card or cash put into their PP account. If the buyer has used a credit card they can even  open a case in PP and do a chargeback even after you win the first case. It is an extremely frustruating for sellers to say the least when they truly have been scammed or buyers are not playing fair. But, still, if you are involved in a major scam return, fight it on PP because at times you CAN win these and contribute to stopping scam behaviors on the internet. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Suggesting I've behaved as the buyer has, just adds insult to injury. I included photos of the kit to show its condition. It's wrong to pay a 10% fee on every item you sell and be provided with no protection from unscrupulous buyers. I'm sure the person who won either A). has taken the part he wanted or: B). has damaged the kit in the manner he described to back out of the sale. I end up with an item damaged by the buyer and will lose payment and fees. In short, it appears you're defending a criminal act. Sellers have also been stripped of the ability to warn other sellers about buyers. I know ethical behavior is a new concept for some, but I'm unwilling to try and sell whatever it is I get back to anyone else as it is now ACTUALLY as the buyer describes (as he's the one who made it that way). I'm uncertain why I have to repeat such simple concepts. The inclusion of the quote was condescending and unhelpful. You're correct, however,  I was ignorant about eBay's unfair policies - but at least I don't insult people being robbed. Finally, if eBay is going to have policies in place - then it should follow them. Here's a far more relevant quote regarding this incident: "Honesty is for the most part less profitable than dishonesty..." - Plato 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Same here! Ebay is al 100% pro buyer
Message 10 of 10
latest reply