cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Undercharging Buyers for FedEx Home Delivery

I recently decided to give buyers the option of FedEx Home Delivery in addition to UPS Ground. It's been a nightmare. I've attached an example of the problem.  In the example, you can see the retail price for the package I'm sending is $19.31 (which should have been the amount paid by the buyer). The eBay discount is $3.14, leaving a net cost of $16.17.  eBay charged the buyer $16.02. What makes matters worse is that after deducting eBay's FVF on the shipping portion, I'm left with $14.42 to pay FedEx.

I believe that the buyer should have been charged $19.31. Deducting the eBay FVF of $1.93 would have netted me $17.38, enough to cover the FedEx shipping cost of $16.17. This is the way it works with UPS.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with eBay's handling of FedEx Home Delivery shipping charges?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: eBay Undercharging Buyers for FedEx Home Delivery

sorry I dont have specific examples but I had the same issue on a few shipments with Fed ex a couple weeks ago and I also have the same issue on a few at the beginning of 2018. In most instances the charged rate was $3-4 less than actual shipping charges.

On another note what really irks me is the fact you cant deselect Home Delivery even when its clearly a business address.

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>Unless I'm mistaken, 15x13x10 would be an oversized box subject to dimensional charges,
>> and I don't think Ebay shows those. I'm pretty sure Ebay doesn't show the fuel surcharges
>> and residential surcharges, either. I could be wrong

So wrong my head hurts from slamming it on the desk. Smiley Sad

The Residential and Fuel surcharges are shown when the transportation cost is expanded (they are rolled into the transportation cost with the base rate), and there are no dimensional surcharges - the base rate is based on greater of the actual weight or the dimensional weight.

Yes, 15x13x10 would have a dimensional weight of 15x13x10/166=12lb which eclipses the actual weight, so the base rate would be calculated based on 12lb. Without the zip codes or zone I'm not going to bother iteratively reverse engineering it to figure out the zone and any surcharges, or if the numbers are right.

Well sweetie I said I could be wrong! Smiley Tongue

I used Ebay's Fedex labels one time probably a decade ago, then I got my own Fedex account.

Sorry about the headache...may I offer you an ibuprofen?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

I was cranky when I wrote that (as dtexley3 pointed out), but I really get frustrated with the perpetuating myths that eBay labels don't include surcharges or consider dimensional weight. Think about the newbies reading these forums or showing up from a google search - they don't read entire threads or multiple threads but see something like your statement, don't read down further to see my rebuttal, and that's all they remember - FedEx bad, FedEx charges are never right , scam, ripoff, fraud.....

Which causes the myth to perpetuate, and they miss out on utilizing a good selling tool because they were scared off. I just posted an short (for me) analysis of a shipping scenario in another thread where (if my assumptions about the zone are correct), the seller can use FedEx at $27.38 instead of Priority or Parcel Select (as I *think* he was planning to) at $43.53 to get out of losing money on an eBay combined shipping kerfuffle. (He had UPS and FedEx in the listing as options but I'm not sure what is going on there)

In any case, FedEx shipping, especially with the deep eBay discounts can be a very useful tool, and I hate to see users avoid it due to misinformation - it can make the difference between certain items being viable to sell and not.

I'll take an acetaminophen - ibuprofen does nothing for my headaches grin
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

>>sorry I dont have specific examples

Aggggghhh!!!1 Now I have to get cranky. No numbers? So I can't do a long, drawn out analysis that no one will read anyway.

>>In most instances the charged rate was $3-4 less than actual shipping charges.

That wouldn't happen if your issue was the issue here - the difference would be literally pennies if buyers are being charged discounted instead of retail rates. Something else must be going on with yours.

>>On another note what really irks me is the fact you cant deselect Home Delivery even when
>>its clearly a business address.

Once eBay decides the address is residential it's over. I don't know how that determination is made though. I have had sales to commercial destinations where the residential box was unchecked and I could use FedEx Ground.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:
>>sorry I dont have specific examples

Aggggghhh!!!1 Now I have to get cranky. No numbers? So I can't do a long, drawn out analysis that no one will read anyway.

>>In most instances the charged rate was $3-4 less than actual shipping charges.

That wouldn't happen if your issue was the issue here - the difference would be literally pennies if buyers are being charged discounted instead of retail rates. Something else must be going on with yours.

>>On another note what really irks me is the fact you cant deselect Home Delivery even when
>>its clearly a business address.

Once eBay decides the address is residential it's over. I don't know how that determination is made though. I have had sales to commercial destinations where the residential box was unchecked and I could use FedEx Ground.

I read them, but then I'm just another nobody... heheheh.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 20 of 26
latest reply

You aren't a prolific poster, yet I remember your username and can type it from memory, so that says something. Your posts are to the point, contain useful info and analysis, and are fact filled and data-ey, and mostly on shipping issues - the stuff I like. grin

Any thought on the commercial/residential point above?

eBay changed things years ago and flopped the label flow from defaulting to commercial - sellers shipping to residential destinations not paying attention didn't check the residential box and then howled when the fraud, scam, ripoff, class action lawsuit outrageous unauthorized Residential Surcharge appeared on their eBay invoice. But at some point I can't recall, ability to uncheck the residential box went away.

I've played with it a bit, and it looks like eBay is actually checking addresses and not allowing the box to uncheck when they determine (correctly or incorrectly) that it is residential. Whether using FedEx address databases or Joe-Bob's discount lookup service I don't know.

I've done "print another label" mockups on sales to definite residential addresses and been able to change the to a definite commercial address - like a Walmart Store address - and the residential box becomes checkable, and FedEx Ground becomes available.

Whatever they are doing, it poses a problem when needing to use FedEx Ground with a Residential Surcharge to ship a pkg over 70lb to a residential address (Home Delivery has 70lb limit). eBay labels precludes that due to the blanket "it's residential - not letting you change it" (eBay's poor attempt to idiot proof the label flow hurts some shippers in rare cases )

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

I don't ship much FedEx anymore but I keep my eye on issues.  I just recently started adding SmartPost back to my items over 1lb as it looks like they have stabilized the pricing and haven't introduced any code regressions in the past few weeks.  We shall see.

We should probably ping a blue about the issue with >72lb items and Home Delivery, it's an edge case, but should be handled correctly brian@ebay

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for your more than generous research! The item being sold is still active, but I removed FedEx Home Delivery / Ground as a shipping option. Would you like me to reinstate that option so that you can take a look at it?

I'm sorry to respond so late. We care for my wife's parents in our home (one has Alzheimer's and the other cancer) so getting back to the forum is sometimes difficult.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

>>Thank you for your more than generous research!

No problem. That's why I'm here, and I find more technical, and possibly solvable problems like yours intriguing. (could care less about "sales are the worst ever", "sellers should be able to leave negative feedback", or FVFs on shipping costs are a ripoff" threads that are just exercises in clubbing deceased equines.)

>>Would you like me to reinstate that option so that you can take a look at it?

Processing..... Calculating.... Computing.....

Must be the mirror set? That listing shows $27.81 UPS Ground shipping to zone 6 (I used Las Vegas as  a location to get that to work out and keep everything zone 6 to simplify). That is the correct UPS Retail amount per your site settings ("DON'T pass discounts to buyers"). The FedEx numbers should align with what you and I posted previously (SHOULD charge buyers the undiscounted, retail $26.41 and charge you $16.02 for the label).

If you want to go to the effort to put it back, I'll look, but the only thing I expect to learn from that is if it also shows me a a buyer the discounted FedEx amount (or if this bug is only messing up the checkout FedEx amount). That would be a useful bit of information.

What I might suggest is that you try to perform an exorcism of the calculator demon along the lines of the methods linked in posts 15 and 16 here.

• Revise the listing and put he FedEx Ground option back.
  • View the listing, change your location to zip 89106 (which is zone 6 relative to you), and check the FedEx amount. It should show $26.41, but if the glitch is happening and is also showing the discounted rate in the listing it will show the discounted $16.02 (or a number within pennies) Let us know if that is the case
  • Change your site setting to pass FedEx discounts to buyers and apply it.
  • Check the listing. Everything the same?
  • Revise the listing, and change something in the shipping section like adding a small $1 handling fee to get a change to apply.
  • Check the listing. Everything the same (except amounts $1 higher from handling fee)
  • Change your site setting back to NOT to pass FedEx discounts to buyers and apply it.
  • Check the listing. Everything the same?
  • Revise the listing, and remove the $1 handling fee to get a change to apply.
  • Check the listing. Did that knock the site setting into applying? Does it show the correct $26.41 retail amount for FedEx now?

Don't forget to change your location back to your normal zip on a shipping&payments tab when done. It will reset if you delete all cookies or otherwise get logged out of eBay and begin a new session, but if that doesn't occur and you forget, you might get puzzling shipping values when searching as a buyer or checking your other listings (eBay will see you as being in Las Vegas until it changes or is changed back)

The method(s) in the other threads for similar bugs before used the eBay "signinalert" function to sign out of all eBay sessions on all devices during the procedure. Whether that was a necessary step to force he changes to

take is unknown, but is no longer possible as eBay removed access to that tool.

If that complicated mess above doesn't work, next option is to end the listing and recreate from scratch (copy paste description, etc) or maybe a sell similar (just not sell similar from that listing - you don't want to propagate the "infection" from the old listing to the new one. Problem is you other listings could be "tainted" too, and sell similar from them might drag the bug along)

Last year(?) my Smartpost listings that had an opposite bugaboo (showing retail rates in search when should have shown discounted) had to be recreated from scratch - the exorcism procedure didn't work. So YMMV.

>>I'm sorry to respond so late.

Again, no problem. I'm not on here 24/7 either, and tend to treat it like a pen pal thing. I respond, toss the "message in a bottle" into the sea, and when I get a response I get a response. taking care of your people is more important than keeping me entertained or updated grin

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

I've asked about this same subject for months, and never get a good answer. I have asked Ebay why they put the Fedex Ground and Fedex Home Delivery as one line item. Fedex charges an upcharge for all residential deliveries. These can be based on the weight or the dimensions, whichever is higher. I have paid an additional $3.85 up to $20.00 for a single package just for the residential delivery fee. If the buyer is in a rural area, Fedex charges the residential fee plus an extended residential fee. Ebay should split the Fedex shipping options into 2 separate choices, and add the appropriate amount.

My listings currently read: Standard shipping estimates are calculated using FedEx Ground service to a commercial address. If shipping to a residence, or if ordering more than one unit, please message us before you pay and include the complete shipping address. We will then send an invoice with the correct shipping total. 

If buyers ignore it, and the amount is large enough, we send a nicely worded message asking if they have a business address they'd like to use instead, or would they prefer a Paypal invoice for the difference. As long as they message via Ebay so there is a record of the revised address, it's all good. I'd rather not have to operate this way, but we were taking a beating on shipping.

We sell restaurant computer terminals, which are heavy and large. For a while, Ebay was only charging shipping for 1 unit, even when 2, 3, or 4 were ordered. It took a couple of phone calls to customer service, but ebay did refund our losses and have corrected whatever "glitch" was causing the miscalculation.

I do wish Ebay would give sellers the option to ship by calculated and flat rate so the customer could choose which works best for them. Also, Fedex Smartpost usually costs more than other forms of shipping.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

When the new shipping prices changed on eBay the customers that bought 2 items was only charged shipping for one item and many other oddities happened.  I had to let the buyer know that eBay shipping was just for one tree and they cannot be combined due to size and weight of large live trees.  The customers either cancelled the order or changed and just bought one.  The shipping prices were around $50 each so that is what eBay expected me to pitch in?  I am now only offering one quantity per item.  When it sells then I put another quantity = 1 again.  Also before the shipping price changes, there were many times where eBay did the charge the customer less that doesn't equal the shipping price just as you said.  Most people were OK with small changes under $10 and paid it but there were times that I had to pay more for the shipping and not make anything on the sale.  I feel like eBay doesn't care much about the sellers because of this and other things they have done

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, 15x13x10 would be an oversized box subject to dimensional charges, and I don't think Ebay shows those.  I'm pretty sure Ebay doesn't show the fuel surcharges and residential surcharges, either.  I could be wrong, though. It's been eons since I printed a Fedex label through Ebay.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply