cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Reminder: Streamline Your Return Policies, I have a better idea!

So, eBay is suggesting we streamline returns... Remember when eBay illegally removed your return policy and forced you to use their ridiculous one size fits all return policy? We do, that is when we stopped accepting returns on eBay! Best decision we ever made. We will of course still offer and accept returns, but now the buyer has to COMMUNICATE with us to arrange a return. As a business that must have a state issued license to conduct business, we have a business return policy that details how we handle returns. We do not need some advertising entity telling us how to control our business during day to day operations, instead simply add "Returns offered, ONLY if you contact us directly." to your eBay ad somewhere, then uncheck the box "Returns accepted". We have done this for the last seven months and have found buyers will COMMUNICATE with you if there is a situation requiring a return, which you can then handle as you see fit. It also stops buyers from returning an item just because they wanted to touch it and feel it before returning it by simply clicking the "Return Item" button. The fact that eBay is adjusting this horrible automated return process by allowing sellers to choose who pays for the returns proves eBay's one size fits all returns process is failing. If everyone chose NO RETURNS eBay might get the hint and start letting sellers have their own return policy on eBay again. As we all know eBay looks out for the buyers, and no longer looks out for the sellers. Some of you may say that we will lose sales doing this, you may be right, but seven months offering NO returns has not negatively impacted our business, but instead it has stopped the frivolous returns without a good reason for doing so. Good customers will communicate any issue, allowing you to remedy it, bad customers no longer take advantage of the the returns process! Have a nice day!  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: eBay Reminder: Streamline Your Return Policies, I have a better idea!

I actually think it is a good idea that eBay standardized returns ... but, I'm not a fan of eBay allowing buyers to abuse the returns process by being dishonest.  

That said, used auto parts is notorious for users abusing returns, and there should be a special returns policy just to cover that category.  For a number of categories, for example, I think there should be a  "no returns, all sales final" option.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Automatic return policy........We have had 2 already this year. Item defective. Once item came back we contacted the buyer and let them know that their was nothing wrong with said part. You just have to install it all the way on and then it will work.

IF any buyer was forced to contact a seller prior to opening a return we would have no returns already this year. Both of our returns were placed back on the shelf for resale due to the buyer just did not know how to install properly.

We have streamlined the automatic return policy for us.

1. open return click the address thing so ebay sends them a label.

2. Copy buyers Ebay ID

3. Open blocked buyers.

4. Paste in 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Should do the same as some other sites, 3 days after delivery all sales final, no one needs 30 - 60 days to decide if it's what you ordered, and - if you do claim something wrong you have to prove it with at least 4 clear precise photos, doesn't fit etc are not accepted for returns, two good things about this return policy.

1. The seller is less stressed after sale and confident he has the backing of the site, rids you of virtually all thieves and scammers.

2. Something every seller will agree to, it forces the buyer to pay attention and to actually read a listing description, if they don't, their mistake, and as we all know mistakes cost money.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:

Should do the same as some other sites, 3 days after delivery all sales final, no one needs 30 - 60 days to decide if it's what you ordered, and - if you do claim something wrong you have to prove it with at least 4 clear precise photos, doesn't fit etc are not accepted for returns, two good things about this return policy.

1. The seller is less stressed after sale and confident he has the backing of the site, rids you of virtually all thieves and scammers.

2. Something every seller will agree to, it forces the buyer to pay attention and to actually read a listing description, if they don't, their mistake, and as we all know mistakes cost money.

Unfortunately buyers can still make claims through PayPal for 180 days after delivery.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:

If you order an electronic you may not be able to prove the item does not work properly with 4 clear precise photos or 10 clear precise photos. 

I have gotten packages in the mail and was unable to open them for more than 3 days due to no fault of mine. Do you believe you should really be able to keep someone's money because they didn't complain for 3 days?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Yes they can but the fact they will not put up with blatant lying, thieving & scamming keeps them well away from these other sites, plus cases through Paypal shipping is on them, the whole point of the thieves on here is to get something absolutely free including shipping both ways, they do not want to pay a dime, and see how many cases you can open through Paypal until they take a good look at you, point is E Bay is desperate, they are allowing blatant theft with false Snads and different used items being returned, in a lot of cases empty boxes or envelopes, E Bay policy, refund, refund, refund, It's attracting every low life with it, unless this ridiculous 100% one sided returns policy is amended they are going to lose the good sellers they have.

Everyone knows many sellers have already left, good buyers are leaving also replaced by what we are seeing more and more of now.

Watched a movie the other night from 2018, within the first 10 mins two lads broke into a house opened the mail and found an American Express Black card, they called and activated it, Next line of dialogue, E Bay i phone scam, it's that bad now even script writers are putting into movie dialogue.

Think that says it all !

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It's your responsibility to read the returns policy laid out, Not mine the actual site, if you are unable to open a package before 3 days then that's on you, Electronics if you know the sites are not sold so photos showing something working or not is never an issue. Point being INAD have to be proved with clear precise photos, simply saying something is not good enough exactly as it should be.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I had a return at my B&M job today... a chair that wobbled badly when you sat down in it.  How do you propose someone show that in pictures?  It looked just fine on the outside.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Again items like this are not sold there, clothing, shoes,bags, jewelry, make up etc so your item wouldn't matter same as the other poster, But there has to be a better way than simply return for refund and shipping because of course we believe you,point is and what you seem to be missing is how easy it is to have a fair and equal returns policy for many different items which

A. Puts a stop to all these thieves

and

B. Encourages sellers to start selling again and buyers wanting to buy.

Anyone selling a high ticket item on here must be a madman.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:w.

Yes they can but the fact they will not put up with blatant lying, thieving & scamming keeps them well away from these other sites, plus cases through Paypal shipping is on them, the whole point of the thieves on here is to get something absolutely free including shipping both ways, they do not want to pay a dime, and see how many cases you can open through Paypal until they take a good look at you, point is E Bay is desperate, they are allowing blatant theft with false Snads and different used items being returned, in a lot of cases empty boxes or envelopes, E Bay policy, refund, refund, refund, It's attracting every low life with it, unless this ridiculous 100% one sided returns policy is amended they are going to lose the good sellers they have.

Everyone knows many sellers have already left, good buyers are leaving also replaced by what we are seeing more and more of no

Watched a movie the other night from 2018, within the first 10 mins two lads broke into a house opened the mail and found an American Express Black card, they called and activated it, Next line of dialogue, E Bay i phone scam, it's that bad now even script writers are putting into movie dialogue.

Think that says it all !

That is TV, not reality. I have a half dozen cards and to activate any card I need to call from the phone number associated with that account and they also ask questions to verify the caller is in fact the legitimate card holder. I also have PIN numbers on my accounts that aren't written down anywhere. No pin, no activate.

If you think for a second that Amex is going to activate a Black card just because the call was made from the account holders phone without asking security questions that only the account holder would know that just isn't going to happen.

In my experience that also applies to any CC issuer not just Amex.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@automotivepartsrecyclrs wrote:

Automatic return policy........We have had 2 already this year. Item defective. Once item came back we contacted the buyer and let them know that their was nothing wrong with said part. You just have to install it all the way on and then it will work.

IF any buyer was forced to contact a seller prior to opening a return we would have no returns already this year. Both of our returns were placed back on the shelf for resale due to the buyer just did not know how to install properly.

We have streamlined the automatic return policy for us.

1. open return click the address thing so ebay sends them a label.

2. Copy buyers Ebay ID

3. Open blocked buyers.

4. Paste in 

We have had so many returns of that nature it has become difficult to be so objective. More or less I suspect the buyers are using our parts to troubleshoot their machine, meaning that once they've installed our part and they realize the problem lies elsewhere they then remove our part, reinstall their old one and return our now used part to us as 'defective,' all of this on our dime.

Worse still is most of these returned parts aren't in fact defective, had we taken the buyer's word for the return reason and simply thrown it in the garbage we would've lost out double but the loss doesn't stop with a simple reselling process... What if we fail to take the buyer's word for the reason, resell it and the part is in fact defective?

It would be nice if we could take the buyer's word for the reason for such return, then at least it would save us the labor it costs to play detective since there are enough liars out there we have no other choice, buyers ask and demand for truth in advertising, I say this transparency is a two-way street.

However ...

A business can't stay in business long while losing money, and thus we raise our prices.

The real reason why a $7 ignition coil now costs $30 isn't in fact corporate greed.

It is that 1-2 out of every 10 coils sold is returned to us as defective, we then have little choice:

1. Throw it away and tack the cost of that loss onto the remaining inventory.

2. Test it, pay for the labor to do so and tack that cost onto the remaining inventory.

- Some readers might think 1 is cheaper than 2 or vice versa...

Please believe me when I say neither is exactly attractive in terms of the cost.

FYI, we have found in the above scenario less than 1 in a thousand coils is in fact defective straight from the manufacturer, however even when questioned buyers seem to believe they're the ones who just so happened to get stuck with that one...

1-2 out of every 10 is returned as "doesn't work / defective."

Less than 1 in a 1,000 is in fact bad.

The cost to ship each coil is $3.50 each way.

The profit on a $7 coil is rather marginal, maybe 50 cents, a dollar on a really good day.

Figure that.

Raising our prices to compensate for the loss appears to be the only way, am I jumping the gun when I say buyers don't seem to want to play this game any other fashion?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Missing the whole point, the fact even a movie script writer can put this scenario into a movie tells all, you explaining how to activate an actual real life card just about tells me the level of buyers ( or sellers ) we now have, READ what i wrote 

Pay attention to the point made.

I'm NOT stating how to ACTIVATE a card, The fact the idea was written in a movie script of how to do an E Bay scam or the mere thought of it states all, whether possible or not the idea is there, Understand ?

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:

Missing the whole point, the fact even a movie script writer can put this scenario into a movie tells all, you explaining how to activate an actual real life card just about tells me the level of buyers ( or sellers ) we now have, READ what i wrote 

Pay attention to the point made.

I'm NOT stating how to ACTIVATE a card, The fact the idea was written in a movie script of how to do an E Bay scam or the mere thought of it states all, whether possible or not the idea is there, Understand ?

That's gotten really bad too, I get this ALL the time on another forum... Members replying it seems to me merely for the sake of arguing and it takes time for me to realize they missed or simply failed to read what I originally stated... And once again I want to give the benefit of the doubt but it's hard to do when confronted by the frequency at which this happens.

Same as with these returns, it happens so much that I find it difficult to be objective.

It's become a real challenge to stay cool in the face of the nonsense.

Some days I wonder, are these side effects of marijuana legalization?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

I had a return at my B&M job today... a chair that wobbled badly when you sat down in it.  How do you propose someone show that in pictures?  It looked just fine on the outside.

That problem is solved by being knowledgeable about what you sell.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply