cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay International Shipping/Global Shipping

I wonder if other sellers are aware that eBay charges buyers for shipping their items internationally with the eBay Intl and Global shipping services they offer but DO NOT share that income with sellers. This is particularly relevent if you provide free shipping to US buyers. In this case the, the seller is paying the cost to the US shipping point with no reimbursment from eBay and eBay is pocketing the total shipping income. This is rather unfair since the free shipping option is only for US buyers. If you use Make an Offer, you need to consider that you will have to pay for shipping to the US shipping point even though eBay is charging the buyer for the total cost of shipping. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry I'm not seeing your logic.  eBay is charging for shipping from the US consolidation center to the buyer's location. 

I'm in Canada. If I buy something from global shipping or the new program, I see one total shipping amount on the listing.   If ebay charges $15 from the US to Canada and the seller has free shipping, I will pay $15 which ebay will receive.  If the seller charges $4 for domestic shipping, I will see and pay $19 shipping. The  seller receives that $4 (less fees etc)  and ebay receives $15.

Either way, ebay is receiving the same amount from me for shipping.

If you as a seller have free shipping and use  the gsp or the new program, you receive the same amount whether or not the buyer is international or domestic.  I don't understand why you would think that you would receive more from an international buyer when you are providing the same serivce. Plus, I would assume that like most sellers who offer free shipping, you already have shipping in the item cost so you are not out anything either way.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I resisted posting to this thread because I could not be as tactful as @pjcdn2005 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The reason I feel it is unfair is that eBay charges higher seller fees to US sellers that ship internationally plus they are charging commission of the amount paid by the buyer for shipping. . Yes, we assume the cost of shipping for US buyers but we figure that into the cost of the deal.  I falsely assumed that since I offer free shipping to US buyers that all international buyers using the eBay services were paying for all shipping and therefore covering the cost of the US leg in the calculation. This is not the case. In reviewing my seller statements, I see payments for the goods and deductions for the cost of eBay printed labels. I know - when you assume ......!  It is my belief that I am offering free shipping to US buyers and not the known universe. If an international buyer wants to shop in the US and pay shipping, they should pay shipping - all of it, and I should not be paying a seller fee for the amount they collect for international shipping either.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Wow 3 whole feedbacks and you have an opinion! 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Sorry. You are making no sense.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@photodealz wrote:

The reason I feel it is unfair is that eBay charges higher seller fees to US sellers that ship internationally plus they are charging commission of the amount paid by the buyer for shipping.

It is FAR from unfair- they charge a 'commission'?? No, they 'charge' for the 'labor' that is required to

a.) repack to ship

b.) figure and collect VAT

c.) figure and collect Customs- of which they then HAVE TO SEND to that country for the VAT and Customs Fees, along with a 'small' 'COST FOR DOING THIS WORK'. 

Do you really think people having to do 'any additional work is done for FREE and is just a COMMISSION??

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The reason I feel it is unfair is that eBay charges higher seller fees to US sellers that ship internationally plus they are charging commission of the amount paid by the buyer for shipping. .

They do charge the extra  1.65% for international buyers but that is only paid on the item and domestic shipping cost.  eBay does not charge fvf on the international shipping amount, they never have.  If an international buyer uses a freight forwarder you will also pay that 1.65% international fee.

I falsely assumed that since I offer free shipping to US buyers that all international buyers using the eBay services were paying for all shipping and therefore covering the cost of the US leg in the calculation. This is not the case. In reviewing my seller statements.

They ARE paying for all shipping.  If you have shipping calculated into your item price, they are in essence paying that, just like your domestic buyers. Then they are also paying for international shipping from your location.   Let's say they made a purchase from a seller who charges $5 domestic shipping. They are then paying $5 for domestic shipping PLUS the same amount for the international shipping as they would be charged for your item.  Either way, they are paying for shipping within the US and then internationally.

In many cases, international buyers were paying more with the gsp than if the seller had shipped directly to them as there was about a $6 handling fee included in the international shipping cost.  Plus, they had to pay for 2 legs..domestic and international.   

It is my belief that I am offering free shipping to US buyers and not the known universe. If an international buyer wants to shop in the US and pay shipping, they should pay shipping - all of it, and I should not be paying a seller fee for the amount they collect for international shipping either.

You may believe that it should work a certain way but it doesn't.  Keep in mind that sellers are given extra protection for the gsp and ebay international shipping and buyers are already paying for part of that extra protection. Plus, you are not paying fees on the international shipping amount.

Btw, with the new international shipping program which you are using now, ebay is not charging the 1.65%  international fee. But if you feel that you don't want international buyers unless you can make more domestic shipping than your domestic buyers do, you can opt out.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@slippinjimmy  is a posting ID.  He's been selling here a long time and is entitled to an opinion.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply