cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

customer purchased two items. Ebay only charged shipping for one item.

@ links to members

The item cost was $35, plus shipping.  I had two for sale. The customer bought both and should have paid the shipping for both. Ebay only charged them shipping for one. Due to the weight, I can't ship them both in one box, without going over the limit for weight in a medium flat rate shipping USPS box. 

So, it will cost me an extra $17.10 to ship the second item, that the seller didn't have to pay shipping for. I only make $10 on the item to begin with and ebay fees are $5.62, so I'm down to only making $4.38 after the ebay selling fees. This means I lose $12.72 on the sale of the second item. I only made $5.62 on the first item, so overall I'm down $7.10 on the sale total.

Help!!! 

Why doesnt ebay charge the customer shipping for both items?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: customer purchased two items. Ebay only charged shipping for one item.

How was the shipping calculation set up in your listing?

If you listed it as flat rate then the problem is there, not with eBay.

If you choose to use flat rate then, when you create the listing, there is a second button that allows you to add on a specific amount for the second item.

But the lesson is if you have more than one item you might want to set it as calculated shipping. In that case eBay adds the weights together and calculates shipping from that weight.

That allows you to choose: ship it in a single box not a flat rate box OR ship it in 2 flat rate boxes. The choice will depend on the total weight of the objects. If they are light the single box might be better, if they are heavy then the 2 FRB might be better. But it at least puts you in the position of having a choice.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Definitely have to be aware, especially when you accept offers, as to what the combined shipping will be...

the variables need to be configured properly prior to a sale

I don't know the dimensions, but couldn't you lessen the pain a little with a Large Flat Rate Box?

Or check UPS ground for cubic prices..

If you post the dimensions of the items in a box, and the weight I will be happy to check options for you.....

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

It was the flat rate shipping.  You could call ebay, but it probably wont help.  I bet you could stuff each of those boxes in a flat rate padded envelope.  It's only $8. Or ship both Priority Cubic Rate in your own box.  Pirate ship has this.  Oh also,  never tell the buyer what priority method you are using.  Just list it all as regular proirity and figure out what works best for you when the sale happens.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply